Just changed the oil on friends '08 Rav4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I too have never replaced the washer on any vehicle I've owned.

Never replaced the plug on my Buick. Its the kind with the built in rubber seal, which IMO is one of the better (if not best) designs. I've regularly maintained 5 different GM's over the years with this design of plug and the permanent rubber insert lasts seemingly forever.

2ega59y.jpg

I always replace the crush washer on the wife's VW becuase I just don't trust the small in number and size threads on the plug to not strip out without the crush washer there to help prevent me from over torquing it - and using a torque wrench isn't an option since I don't have a lift. I also replaced the factory plug with a "normal" one because the factory one used an hex wrench requiring a hex key socket. The hex key was only like an 6 or 8mm and I twisted it once getting it off. Went to a standard style plug with a 3/4" nut on it.

Our Taurus uses one of those combination metal/rubber washers. It shreds itself every time you remove it and it leaks unless you use the rubber/metal style replacement. I've tried a copper and nylon replacement but it leaked using those.

30xh8ix.jpg

Originally Posted By: buickman50401
Never replaced the plug on my Buick. Its the kind with the built in rubber seal, which IMO is one of the better (if not best) designs. I've regularly maintained 5 different GM's over the years with this design of plug and the permanent rubber insert lasts seemingly forever.

2ega59y.jpg

Thats the same our Rendezvous has I really like it too.

TOYOTA oil drain plug "gaskets" sometimes adhere to the oil pan and you need a carefully placed screwdriver or wrench end to get them off. (If you choose to remove them).
Danger, however is to put a new washer on the drain plug.
Double gasketting isn't a good idea.
Just a FYI if you work on them occasionally.

As to leaving the drain plug un-threaded half way for 15 minutes that's a different story as to 10k and driving conditions. I guess we find different things that work on different engines/vehicle make. For a eye opener brass is used as a one time (you can fudge this) crush fit as to the threads when fitting oil lines etc...

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Fumoto drain plug....done.

Exactly! I've had one on both of my cars for years. I love not having to remove a drain plug!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back