Just changed oil with Castrol StartUp; the first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I must be one of the first here to use the StartUp product. I put 10w/30w in my 2002 Subaru Impreza TS 5m with 32800 on the clock. I used an Amsoil SDF20 filter, and changed my air filter from K&N back to stock.

I posted asking what to use in my car a week ago or so. Of course I ignored all advice once I got to Walmart and was standing in the oil aisle. So many choices! That place smokes the AutoZone!

I wanted to try the Delo, Delvac, or the Rotella Syn, which is a screaming deal at $12 or so, but due to additional questions that I've asked in another thread, I'll wait on that.

So I was looking at the Havoline, Chevron Supreme, Castrol GTX, and some of the blends. Then I saw the StartUp, and thought what the **** , I would probably spend $7.50qt on Redline, why not $2.90 on this?

So now I have the StartUp in there, and a Blackstone kit at home. How long should I go before I mail off a sample? I drive pretty aggressively, but understand the N/A Subarus are easy on the oil. Any of you interested in a test on this?

BTW, my car feels great, better than it has in a long time. The idle is smoother. And of course I have great peace of mind knowing that I have zero start up wear now
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
!

The Castrol site says Start Up has esters in it. That is great if it is a significant amount.

A 5000 mile UOA ought to be interesting.

I don't think I can swing a double run, $60 is kinda steep. How about 5000?

So what are you saying there, haley10, that I could've got GpIII instead of GpII for the same price? How much better would that be, all other things being equal?

Well they're both sythetic blends. One is probably II and III, and the other is probably II and V, just a guess. I guess I'd take the II and V.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by poison:
I don't think I can swing a double run, $60 is kinda steep. How about 5000?

So what are you saying there, haley10, that I could've got GpIII instead of GpII for the same price? How much better would that be, all other things being equal?

No better or worse for all practical purposes, just a bit different formulation. Like G-ManII has said, if I can use his name in vain
dunno.gif
, this may be Castrol's best bang for the buck.
grin.gif

I think a 5,000 mile would be great. That would be very meaningful I think. I look forward to seeing it.

It ain't all aboute base stocks it's the total package.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I wish they put the percentage of synthetic on the label.

So 5000 it will be. Lets see, that should be about 4 months with my driving. Can't wait, it will be my first UOA. I am interested to see how my engine is doing.

Thanks for your help guys and gals!

quote:

I wish they put the percentage of synthetic on the label.

I'm not sure that that would be helpful and only tend to confuse. Just like thicker oil is not always better, neither is a better basestock. A full synthetic with a poor additive package is still just junk. Bitog members place too much emphasis on the Group III vs. PAO debate, methinks. All PAO is not of the same quality either. All Group III is not the same as Petro Canada's Group III. There's much more to it than %%%% percentages.

So 5000 it will be. Lets see, that should be about 4 months with my driving. Can't wait, it will be my first UOA. I am interested to see how my engine is doing.

Thanks for your help guys and gals!

quote:

How long should I go before I mail off a sample?

IMHO, you need to go at least 4K mi for any meaningful data, better yet a double run. A short 2K-3K interval followed by a 5K-6K mi interval.

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
The Castrol site says Start Up has esters in it. That is great if it is a significant amount.

A 5000 mile UOA ought to be interesting.

I wonder what the formulation difference between this and Syntec blend is?
cheers.gif

My guess would be different type and amount of ester, since Startup shows no Boron. Also Statup may not have GpIII, just GPII of GPII+ base.

Just speculating. No flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back