just changed FF in chevy sonic to Mobil One AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went 2400 miles on FF and put in 2 qts of M1 0-20 and 3 qts of M1 0-30. The car is getting 36 mpg and hopefully as engine breaks in i will be getting 38mpg once i can start putting in the summer blend gas. 6 speed auto. the car is very roomy and and gutsy, i would recommend a sonic to anyone. 0-20 is a little thin but i think engine will survive...i have had 7 new cars over the years and none of them have ever burnt oil, inexpensive cars and expensive oil is my motto. Actually with all the rebates or if you wait for discounts/clearances it is easy to get cheap synthetic oil which is what i usually run.

Quote:
i went 2400 miles on FF and put in 2 qts of M1 0-20 and 3 qts of M1 0-30.

Why not just use a Dexos 1 approved oil instead of fiddling around mixing 2 non approved oils?
Do you really thing there is anything to be gained instead of using something like PU, PP or M1 5w30?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Is that the turbo engine?

Sounds like the NA 1.8. dexos1 oils aren't as critical for that engine as the more highly-strung 1.4T engine. I'm definitely on the dexos1-only bandwagon for the 1.4T engine. For the 1.8, it likely won't notice the difference.

OP is in the US. They can't just void the warranty like that here. What they can do is fail to honor a warranty claim for a failure caused by the oil. Somehow I don't believe GM would try to blame any failure on that particular mix unless they were completely sure the oil was the cause of the problem. If they were that sure, it would mean they have some pretty good evidence to back it up and at that point it would be very much in Exxon Mobile's interest to take care of it.

Mobil 1 EP is dexos 1 approved. Use that. Most likely both AFE oils would meet it but they were not tested for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back