Just bought me Icom V8000 amateur radio..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought it yesterday and it should be here this afternoon and can't wait to hitch it up in my car with my CB radio. Was wondering about how to tune the radio to my CB antenna so I don't have to buy another antenna?

No, it will not work on your CB antenna. You did learn about impedance matching, standing wave ratio, and resonant antenna lengths when you studied to get your amateur radio license, yes?
wink.gif

de N8YQM

Last edited:
I recall seeing an ad years ago for a VHF/CB antenna. I think it used a diplexor to combine to the radios together, and then to the antenna. Oh wait, I think it was to share the AM/FM radio with a CB--never mind.

You might be able to hunt around and use one of the newer antennas that cover 10m/6m/2m. Extend the 10m section out as far as you can; the CB might be ok with the resultant mismatch. Alternatively, you might be able to do something to make it match. But I'm not sure that the diplexor would necessararily be happy with the mismatch.

Easiest method by far will be to use two antennas. I use a magmount for CB, but that's because I usually leave it off the car.

Is this a troll post?

You do have an amateur radio license, right?

Anyway, 146 MHz is sorta the 5th harmonic of 27 MHz, so it would probably work well enough. The dielectric qualities and power handling of the cb frequency coil form may be inadequate for VHF. You would have to build a network to match it, because it won't be 50 ohms.

LOL my -first- thought exactly...

This has to be a troll. I mean, "hitch it up in my car with my CB radio"?!? I don't think so. "hitch it up" and "with" my CB. Heh, no way.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
You DID take a license test, right?

Anybody who took an exam for an amateur radio license should know that an 11 meter antenna will not work with a 2 meter radio. Im guessing he bought it thinking it looks cool. I don't have an amateur radio operators license yet, but Im working on it and yet I know that combination won't work.

Last I checked, a license wasnt required to buy a radio.

Transmit is another story... And Id hate the OP to be stuck with a $292 doorstop.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Transmit is another story... And Id hate the OP to be stuck with a $292 doorstop.
Yes, that is true up here as well. No requirement to have a license to buy a radio. But if you know what you are buying, you should know the difference between the 11 meter and 2 meter bands.

absolutely!

Then again, if youre listening and just using it as a scanner, if it is metal and gets a signal, maybe its good enough. No license and an antenna that wont radiate maybe a good thing!

btw its not too hard to get your ticket nowadays.
if the o.p did he could post his call...
the cb antenna wont do it though.easy to homebrew a 1/4wave magmout to get started.

Not to build the watch today, but the angle of radiation from a 5 wavelength vertical antenna, assume you got it down to 50 ohms resistive on 2 meters, would be almost straight up. What you want, of course, is parallel to the earth, not 90 degrees from the horizon. This used to be basic stuff on license tests.
You could hack off everything but 19 inches for a 50 ohm load on 146 but the quality of the mount for VHF purposes and the nature of the "ground plane" have much to do with whether or not the radiation goes a useful direction.
Yes, there is a lot of plug and play out there now, but it's good to be able to read between the lines on the ad hype.

Last edited:
Quote:

No, but most ethical Ham radio stores won't sell you a transceiver or amplifier without a valid Amateur Radio License.

It could be he is bying it from an individual with questionable credentials.

To the OP, study for your license and pass it before you get on the air and before get nailed by Fox Charlie Charlie.

You can buy amateur radio transceivers on Ebay with no problem, no license required. No need to have to go to a radio store these days.
It would be wise of him to read up and get at least a basic operator's license though. Transmitting on amateur radio frequencies without a callsign can get you in trouble pretty quick. Some operators find it to be a rewarding challenge tracking down an offender and reporting them!

Last edited:
Just check out 14.313 in the 20m band...

While it may not be legal it is VERY entertaining.

AE4FB, VE7KFM, K3VR, N1FM, W5KAW, WW4D, KZ80, ect....

LOL

I'd say that VE7KFM is the champ in this knock down drag out of radio battles, all the idiots trying to QRM him because of his very accurate commentary on what the US is doing in the middle east.

Biggest dodo awards go to K3VR, and N1FM for being the biggest bullies on the block.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back