Just bought GC for my 05 Audi S4. It's definitely green!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is the right stuff for the summer months w/ some aggressive WOT's thrown in there. It does have all the specs for my car and then some. I just read a book that said to choose the default higher viscosity (I actually saw it advertised here) if it's a high performance engine and you drive hard. My default is 5W-40 whereas 0W-30 is the recommended. Did I do the right thing? It is cool looking, I'll give you that. An exotic brew! Would Mobil1 Truck&SUV be a better choice in the 5W-40 weight?

[ May 13, 2005, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: V8Blitz ]

quote:

Originally posted by V8Blitz:
I hope this is the right stuff for the summer months w/ some aggressive WOT's thrown in there. It does have all the specs for my car and then some. I just read a book that said to choose the default higher viscosity (I actually saw it advertised here) if it's a high performance engine and you drive hard. My default is 5W-40 whereas 0W-30 is the recommended. Did I do the right thing? It is cool looking, I'll give you that. An exotic brew! Would Mobil1 Truck&SUV be a better choice in the 5W-40 weight?

V8Blitz,

I admire your enthusiasm as that 4.2 engine is my favorite (even though I have the 2.7T); however, you are worrying waaay too much. You will be fine with the GC YEAR 'ROUND! Your 4.2 should run cooler than my twin turbo even with some hard driving mixed in. I had the turbos spinning across Nevada in 100 degree heat and the GC performed admirably. Use it, enjoy it...calm down.
wink.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

V8Blitz,

I admire your enthusiasm as that 4.2 engine is my favorite (even though I have the 2.7T); however, you are worrying waaay too much. You will be fine with the GC YEAR 'ROUND! Your 4.2 should run cooler than my twin turbo even with some hard driving mixed in. I had the turbos spinning across Nevada in 100 degree heat and the GC performed admirably. Use it, enjoy it...calm down.
wink.gif
cheers.gif

Thanks, dude. I had the B5 S4 myself w/ the 2.7T and used to run M1 0W-40 until the UOA's I heard about in here were not as good as one might expect. Just out of curiosity, if you were to choose any oil in the world to run in the 4.2 what would it be? What are you running in the 2.7T? What do you think of BC?

quote:

quote:

quote:

V8Blitz,

wink.gif
cheers.gif

Thanks, dude. I had the B5 S4 myself w/ the 2.7T and used to run M1 0W-40 until the UOA's I heard about in here were not as good as one might expect. Just out of curiosity, if you were to choose any oil in the world to run in the 4.2 what would it be? What are you running in the 2.7T? What do you think of BC?

I have an A6 with the 2.7T, not the S4. I am running GC in the 2.7T, the ONLY oil I have run in it...in fact, I believe it had SLX (European version of GC) from the factory. If I could run ANY oil in the world in the 4.2, it would be either Castrol SLX LongTec if that meets your VW specs or whatever ELF Excellium product meets your VW specs with the most recent ACEA ratings. I don't think BC is as good as GC or the ELF products.

[ May 13, 2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

V8Blitz,

wink.gif
cheers.gif

I have an A6 with the 2.7T, not the S4. I am running GC in the 2.7T, the ONLY oil I have run in it...in fact, I believe it had SLX (European version of GC) from the factory. If I could run ANY oil in the world in the 4.2, it would be either Castrol SLX LongTec if that meets your VW specs or whatever ELF Excellium product meets your VW specs with the most recent ACEA ratings. I don't think BC is as good as GC or the ELF products.

Is the GC in fact Castrol SLX or the SLX longTec? Is there a difference. And when you said you would run the SLX longTec in the 4.2 you meant the GC, right? Where can you find ELF products and are they under a different name in the states? I agree w/ the assumption of factory fill w/ the SLX in the 2.7T and the 4.2. I thought it might have neen pentospeed, too.

We are quite certain that green GC is SLX; we do not know what the new gold formula is. Remember you said any oil in the world so I gave you choices that may not be available except at great expense in North America. When I said LongTec I meant the 229.5 version of SLX which I believe is also known in Germany as DCO Topup. As of the latest info I have it is rated SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, VW 502.00, 505.00 and 503.01 and MB 229.5. I suspect it has been updated. New York has lots of ELF dealers and distributors...go to www.elfmoto.com and do a drop down list on dealers and distributors to find one.

pscholte, just curious, but why Elf? I've looked into their oils as well, they seem to have a very good reputation in Europe.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
pscholte, just curious, but why Elf? I've looked into their oils as well, they seem to have a very good reputation in Europe.

Three things; (1) info about ELF oils I have tucked away over time; (2) I believe they ACTUALLY BRING lessons learned in F1 to their street oils, but adapt that technology to street conditions and (3) they seem to be among the first to respond to upgraded/increased demands for specialized products or service requirements (e.g. MB 229.5, BMW-LL-01)

quote:

We are quite certain that green GC is SLX; we do not know what the new gold formula is. Remember you said any oil in the world so I gave you choices that may not be available except at great expense in North America. When I said LongTec I meant the 229.5 version of SLX which I believe is also known in Germany as DCO Topup. As of the latest info I have it is rated SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, VW 502.00, 505.00 and 503.01 and MB 229.5. I suspect it has been updated. New York has lots of ELF dealers and distributors...go to www.elfmoto.com and do a drop down list on dealers and distributors to find one.

What is the difference between SLX and SLX LongTec? Why isn't GC on the Porsche approved list for 04 even though the bottle says Porsche approved? The ELF 0W-40 doesn't seem to be MB 229.3 rated. Why is that. That is a good site for the ELF, BTW.

Looks like Castrol SLX is the oil of choice for DTM Champions, Abt Racing's S4. Not to worry, I use it too.
grin.gif

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82916482&contentId=6005377

quote:

Freigegeben am: 29 März 2004
DTM-Partnerschaft von Abt und Castrol geht ins fünfte Jahr
In der Saison 2004 startet Abt Sportsline mit den Piloten Christian Abt, Mattias Ekström, Tom Kristensen und Martin Tomcyzk erstmals als Audi-Werksteam in der DTM. Ebenfalls neu ist das Auto: Anstelle des TT-R Coupé werden die Audi-Piloten in A4-Limousinen antreten. Bei aller Veränderung bleibt eine Konstanze: Im fünften Jahr in Folge vertraut das erfolgsverwöhnte Team aus dem Allgäu auf Schmierstoffe, Pflegemittel und Bremsflüssigkeiten der in Hamburg ansässigen Firma Castrol Deutschland.

Die Hansestadt im Norden ist auch Austragungsort des ersten DTM-Highlights der Saison 2004: Am 30. März präsentiert sich die populäre Rennserie mit allen Fahrern sowie neuen Autos auf den Rathausmarkt und ab 13.00 Uhr mit einem Show-Rennen rund um die Alster der Öffentlichkeit.

Dort ist natürlich auch der neue Audi A4 DTM aus nächster Nähe zu sehen, dessen Herzstück der rund 460 PS starke Vierliter-V8-Motor ist. Das Triebwerk ist weit hinter der Vorderachse eingebaut, um eine optimale Gewichtsverteilung des Autos zu erreichen. Für perfekte Schmierung ist ohnehin gesorgt: Abt Sportsline verwendet Castrol FORMULA SLX. Das im normalen Werkstatt-Handel erhältliche Voll-Synthese-Öl ist extrem Hitzebeständig und sorgt selbst bei langen Vollgas-Passagen wie beim Nürnberger Stadtrennen auf dem Norisring für einen schützenden Schmierfilm. Durch seine innovative Molekularstruktur und seine zukunftsweisende Additiv-Technologie reduziert Castrol FORMULA SLX Reibungen und sorgt so für eine optimale Leistungsausbeute. Gleichzeitig schützt das Öl das Triebwerk vor Schäden - in der DTM ein entscheidender Faktor. Denn das technische Reglement erlaubt den Teams pro Saison mit immerhin zehn Rennen lediglich den Einsatz von drei Motoren für jeweils zwei Fahrer.
Reduzierte Reibung und zuverlässiger Verschleißschutz werden auch vom Getriebeöl eingefordert. Das ebenfalls voll-synthetische Castrol SAF-XJ erfüllt beide Eigenschaften gleichermaßen. So gelangt die volle Motorleistung annähernd verlustfrei an die angetriebenen Hinterräder. Außerdem lassen sich die sechs Vorwärtsgänge des sequentiellen Getriebes mühelos und schnell wechseln - bei bis zu 1000 Gangwechseln pro Rennen ein echtes Plus.

Im Dauerstress ist auch die Bremsflüssigkeit als Verbindungsglied zwischen Pedal und Bremse. Selbst wenn die Bremsscheiben glühen muss sie einen „kühlen Kopf" bewahren. Die von Abt Sportsline genutzte Flüssigkeit Castrol SRF hat als einziges Produkt auf dem Weltmarkt einen Trockensiedepunkt von über 300 Grad. Selbst nach längerem Gebrauch, bei dem das Gemisch zunehmend Wasser aufnimmt, hält es noch Temperaturen von 280 Grad stand (Nasssiedepunkt). Dieser Nehmerqualitäten sind wichtig. Denn kocht die Flüssigkeit, entstehen Blasen und der Fahrer hat ein „schwammiges" Bremsgefühl. Und das ist wahrlich kein gutes Gefühl. Schließlich werden auch in der DTM die meisten Rennen „auf der Bremse" gewonnen. Weitere Inhalte
Krönender Saison-Abschluss für Castrol-Partner Abt in der DTM
Castrol Partner Abt will DTM-Titel verteidigen
Hockenheim 2
Hockenheim 1
Hamburg
Castrol trauert um Johann Abt Weiterführende Links
Links
www.abt-sportsline.de

weitere News
Castrol-Partner Abt Sportsline startet erfolgreich in die DTM-Saison
Abt Sportsline will sich in die DTM-Siegerliste eintragen
Castrol trauert um langjährigen Partner Johann Abt
Seite drucken

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Looks like Castrol SLX is the oil of choice for DTM Champions, Abt Racing's S4. Not to worry, I use it too.
grin.gif

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82916482&contentId=6005377

quote:

Freigegeben am: 29 März 2004
DTM-Partnerschaft von Abt und Castrol geht ins fünfte Jahr
In der Saison 2004 startet Abt Sportsline mit den Piloten Christian Abt, Mattias Ekström, Tom Kristensen und Martin Tomcyzk erstmals als Audi-Werksteam in der DTM. Ebenfalls neu ist das Auto: Anstelle des TT-R Coupé werden die Audi-Piloten in A4-Limousinen antreten. Bei aller Veränderung bleibt eine Konstanze: Im fünften Jahr in Folge vertraut das erfolgsverwöhnte Team aus dem Allgäu auf Schmierstoffe, Pflegemittel und Bremsflüssigkeiten der in Hamburg ansässigen Firma Castrol Deutschland.

Die Hansestadt im Norden ist auch Austragungsort des ersten DTM-Highlights der Saison 2004: Am 30. März präsentiert sich die populäre Rennserie mit allen Fahrern sowie neuen Autos auf den Rathausmarkt und ab 13.00 Uhr mit einem Show-Rennen rund um die Alster der Öffentlichkeit.

Dort ist natürlich auch der neue Audi A4 DTM aus nächster Nähe zu sehen, dessen Herzstück der rund 460 PS starke Vierliter-V8-Motor ist. Das Triebwerk ist weit hinter der Vorderachse eingebaut, um eine optimale Gewichtsverteilung des Autos zu erreichen. Für perfekte Schmierung ist ohnehin gesorgt: Abt Sportsline verwendet Castrol FORMULA SLX. Das im normalen Werkstatt-Handel erhältliche Voll-Synthese-Öl ist extrem Hitzebeständig und sorgt selbst bei langen Vollgas-Passagen wie beim Nürnberger Stadtrennen auf dem Norisring für einen schützenden Schmierfilm. Durch seine innovative Molekularstruktur und seine zukunftsweisende Additiv-Technologie reduziert Castrol FORMULA SLX Reibungen und sorgt so für eine optimale Leistungsausbeute. Gleichzeitig schützt das Öl das Triebwerk vor Schäden - in der DTM ein entscheidender Faktor. Denn das technische Reglement erlaubt den Teams pro Saison mit immerhin zehn Rennen lediglich den Einsatz von drei Motoren für jeweils zwei Fahrer.
Reduzierte Reibung und zuverlässiger Verschleißschutz werden auch vom Getriebeöl eingefordert. Das ebenfalls voll-synthetische Castrol SAF-XJ erfüllt beide Eigenschaften gleichermaßen. So gelangt die volle Motorleistung annähernd verlustfrei an die angetriebenen Hinterräder. Außerdem lassen sich die sechs Vorwärtsgänge des sequentiellen Getriebes mühelos und schnell wechseln - bei bis zu 1000 Gangwechseln pro Rennen ein echtes Plus.

Im Dauerstress ist auch die Bremsflüssigkeit als Verbindungsglied zwischen Pedal und Bremse. Selbst wenn die Bremsscheiben glühen muss sie einen „kühlen Kopf" bewahren. Die von Abt Sportsline genutzte Flüssigkeit Castrol SRF hat als einziges Produkt auf dem Weltmarkt einen Trockensiedepunkt von über 300 Grad. Selbst nach längerem Gebrauch, bei dem das Gemisch zunehmend Wasser aufnimmt, hält es noch Temperaturen von 280 Grad stand (Nasssiedepunkt). Dieser Nehmerqualitäten sind wichtig. Denn kocht die Flüssigkeit, entstehen Blasen und der Fahrer hat ein „schwammiges" Bremsgefühl. Und das ist wahrlich kein gutes Gefühl. Schließlich werden auch in der DTM die meisten Rennen „auf der Bremse" gewonnen. Weitere Inhalte
Krönender Saison-Abschluss für Castrol-Partner Abt in der DTM
Castrol Partner Abt will DTM-Titel verteidigen
Hockenheim 2
Hockenheim 1
Hamburg
Castrol trauert um Johann Abt Weiterführende Links
Links
www.abt-sportsline.de

weitere News
Castrol-Partner Abt Sportsline startet erfolgreich in die DTM-Saison
Abt Sportsline will sich in die DTM-Siegerliste eintragen
Castrol trauert um langjährigen Partner Johann Abt
Seite drucken

You obviously speak german 'cause your throwing all these german references at me. LOL. What Audi are you driving, there, my Audi bud?

quote:

quote:

What is the difference between SLX and SLX LongTec? Why isn't GC on the Porsche approved list for 04 even though the bottle says Porsche approved? The ELF 0W-40 doesn't seem to be MB 229.3 rated. Why is that. That is a good site for the ELF, BTW.

I cannot tell you the technical differences BTW the two without side by side Tech Data Sheet comparisons. I can tell you that LongTec is MB 229.5 rated while GC (SLX) is 229.3. GC is not on the Porsche approved list probably because Porsche did not approve ANY 30 wts for that list (you'll notice that American Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40 IS on the list). I don't know under what stipulation it is Porsche approved. I will tell you this: GC is probably higher tech than some of the 40 wts on that list, including some of the Castrol entries. Regarding the ELF 0W-40 not being 229.3, I think it is an older oil and ELF may have never attempted to certify it to 229.3 or 229.5 because they have newer formulations specifically suited to or targeted to those specs (e.g. ELF Excellium 299.5). Take a look at ELF and Castrol websites around the net. You will note that these two companies (Shell does as well) specifically target alot of their oils. Take a look at another ELF site: Comprehensive ELF site (click on "Engine" under "Range of Products") or look at this blurb on Castrol Castrol BMW LL-04 You can see as you go through this material that ELF and Castrol make specific oils for specific applications. This is actually great for us because we can get an oil highly suited to our engines. We just need to match the oil specs with our OEM specs. Wouldn't you rather have an oil just for your OEM than a one-size fits all? Having said that GC has admirably filled the one-size fits all bill but then it IS SUPREMELY HIGH TECH so it can target a lot of different specs. Hope this helps.

[ May 14, 2005, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I drive a B5 Avant, 30v. I had the 2nd B6 my dealer sold, but did not like to kneeroom so went back to a B5, my 4th A4 and now I am up to my 14th Audi total. (not a typo) I drive my woman's 1987 Coupe GT for long pointless missions, 195k and everything works perfectly. I service her Mom's A6 too. One of my best friends owns a well-regarded BOSCH Service Center. I can recommend BOSCH Authorized Service for ANY Euro car. Syntec 5w-50 is the Synth of Choice at my friends shop. I've never had a top model like an S4, but it must be nice, have fun!

[ May 14, 2005, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
I drive a B5 Avant, 30v. I had the 2nd B6 my dealer sold, but did not like to kneeroom so went back to a B5, my 4th A4 and now I am up to my 14th Audi total. (not a typo) I drive my woman's 1987 Coupe GT for long pointless missions, 195k and everything works perfectly. I service her Mom's A6 too. One of my best friends owns a well-regarded BOSCH Service Center. I can recommend BOSCH Authorized Service for ANY Euro car. Syntec 5w-50 is the Synth of Choice at my friends shop. I've never had a top model like an S4, but it must be nice, have fun!

That coupe GT is a beauty. Do you go on Audiworld? You must, as you've been a loyal audi enthusiast for some time.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I cannot tell you the technical differences BTW the two without side by side Tech Data Sheet comparisons. I can tell you that LongTec is MB 229.5 rated while GC (SLX) is 229.3. GC is not on the Porsche approved list probably because Porsche did not approve ANY 30 wts for that list (you'll notice that American Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40 IS on the list). I don't know under what stipulation it is Porsche approved. I will tell you this: GC is probably higher tech than some of the 40 wts on that list, including some of the Castrol entries. Regarding the ELF 0W-40 not being 229.3, I think it is an older oil and ELF may have never attempted to certify it to 229.3 or 229.5 because they have newer formulations specifically suited to or targeted to those specs (e.g. ELF Excellium 299.5). Take a look at ELF and Castrol websites around the net. You will note that these two companies (Shell does as well) specifically target alot of their oils. Take a look at another ELF site: Comprehensive ELF site (click on "Engine" under "Range of Products") or look at this blurb on Castrol Castrol BMW LL-04 You can see as you go through this material that ELF and Castrol make specific oils for specific applications. This is actually great for us because we can get an oil highly suited to our engines. We just need to match the oil specs with our OEM specs. Wouldn't you rather have an oil just for your OEM than a one-size fits all? Having said that GC has admirably filled the one-size fits all bill but then it IS SUPREMELY HIGH TECH so it can target a lot of different specs. Hope this helps.

I was reading some post where someone named Carpy was claiming GC was a grp III oil. This is not true, is it?

Carpy was wrong, GC is not using any group 3 for it's base oil. Terry Dyson's indepth analysis proved that GC uses a very unique and exotic mixture of PAO base oils.

I hang out in the B6 Forum:
http://www.audiworld.com/forum/a4gen2.html

I wish I could link to my Pic Poster from outside AW, but I can't. I refer to my cars all the time here, so I'd like to have a pic sometimes, oh well. After clicking on a post of mine, click on my Member Number (27563) and it takes you there. So, being on AW B6 and owning a 2002 B6, I know a bit about the S4. What colour is yours? Are you looking at chips...DahlBack perhaps? Do you have that corny pre-filter on the intake? (top of rad support)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back