Just bought a single used tire

Was riding on a compact spare in the rear on a 2002 Civic LX for a while. Finances didn't necessarily allow me to get a full set until next payday (got an odd pay schedule), and this car needs a full set.

I was kind of surprised. I called around for tires, and quite a few stores had websites with available tires (maybe not real time inventory though) but not everything they could get was shown on the websites. I'd actually called up one place and I though they had one but they didn't when I came in and I wasn't going to wait until Friday when they could get a tire ordered and delivered. But I had called another shop that said they had a good condition used tire that might go for $50. So I headed there and asked in person. Everything new was at least $90 per tire and they mentioned the used tire again. So I had a look. It was a Toyo and looked to have light/even wear that was better than the tires I had. And then the manager said $40 so I took it. When I asked about installation, I was told $40 out the door. I was the only customer with an installation so I watched it. I've seen tires installed before, but this was the first time I'd seen a water trough with soapy water where they dunked the entire tire in to see if it leaked.

Not sure if it was the greatest idea, but the tire looked good and I'm only out $40 for now. Certainly better than riding on a compact spare.

Was riding on a compact spare in the rear on a 2002 Civic LX for a while. Finances didn't necessarily allow me to get a full set until next payday (got an odd pay schedule), and this car needs a full set.

I was kind of surprised. I called around for tires, and quite a few stores had websites with available tires (maybe not real time inventory though) but not everything they could get was shown on the websites. I'd actually called up one place and I though they had one but they didn't when I came in and I wasn't going to wait until Friday when they could get a tire ordered and delivered. But I had called another shop that said they had a good condition used tire that might go for $50. So I headed there and asked in person. Everything new was at least $90 per tire and they mentioned the used tire again. So I had a look. It was a Toyo and looked to have light/even wear that was better than the tires I had. And then the manager said $40 so I took it. When I asked about installation, I was told $40 out the door. I was the only customer with an installation so I watched it. I've seen tires installed before, but this was the first time I'd seen a water trough with soapy water where they dunked the entire tire in to see if it leaked.

Not sure if it was the greatest idea, but the tire looked good and I'm only out $40 for now. Certainly better than riding on a compact spare.
There's a few used tire places around here. I used to take people there who were making ends meet. I think you get get something for a little as $15; good rubber was closer to $40. Probably double that now. I am willing to bet that shop saved a lotta people's lives.

Pretty much all junkyards tend to have various used tires for sale and they're usually pretty low and do mounting and balancing for a minimal charge. I was at one a while ago and they had prices which were higher if they had two matched tires vs one tire. An older couple was there trying to buy a single tire and then found the pair and couldn't figure out why it was more for two tires instead of the same for a single tire. I also saw some nice car batteries there, saw an H6 that was only 1.5 years old and it was $40. Didn't need one but I guess you just have to know where to look.

I bought a 5th alloy wheel as a spare for my truck. It came with a narrower spare on a steel wheel.
I sure would like to find a Goodyear Wrangler RTS RWL tire to match my set of 4, but I ain't sweating it.

I had a car which had been treated to single axle purchases all it's previous life. When one axle's tires got thin I stumbled upon a pair of Copper CS4 which performed very well. I'm glad for that experience as I later bought a set of 4 of the redesigned tire, the CS5.
I look back at that junkyard pair as a "try before you buy".

The main thing to me is check the manufacture date. I'm not as picky as with new tires but don't want it getting closer to a decade old (after I've been using it, that time added on to factor total age) before it's time to replace the whole set of tires. Depends on how worn the other tires are I suppose, but generally I keep looking if the candidate is over 3 years old.

Nothing wrong with a used tire as long as its not old and stored properly. eBay has a bunch of used tire sellers, I personally had both good and bad experiences. But always ask for the date Codes! If its nearing or over 6 years old fugetaboutit

I recently I got two front tires for my G37 for $100 shipped. But one tire was from 2013 which you'd never get a mainstream place to install, not to mention I wouldn't want to trust it.

With today's spiraling inflation and supply issues I'm thinking a lot of used tries are being mounted on vehicles.

I bought used from craigslist numerous times. As stated I was able to check date codes etc. I bought and sold winter tires, some mounted on rims. My Sonata rode on Bridgestone Blizzaks for 3 winters. Guy bought them new at Costco, had receipt, used 3 months and about 1500 miles and decided to move to Florida. I paid less than 1/2 price. When they reached 6/32" and the multicell was gone I dropped them off at a local used tire joint. Soft for summer but still 6/32" if somebody needed a tire.

Money was tight, I bought 4 take off Bridgestone Dueler for my Wife's Sequoia on Craigslist for about $200. They still had the nubs on them and full tread depth. Guy upgraded to off road tires on a Tacoma and just wanted them gone.

Tire shops pull from warehouse inventory that’s constantly changing which is why not every tire is listed on websites.

I run used tires 9/10 times unless I see a killer deal on a new set or I’m forced to buy new because there aren’t any used available. It sucks becuase my local market is taken over by a tire flipper. I’m not about to pay $250 a used set when new runs for $380 with tax. Just not worth it. I won’t pay more than $200 a set.

Back in 2005-08 my favorite junkyard in the whole wide world had a "tire pile" ~12 feet high that I could paw through, and pay $5 a tire. They then raised it to $10. Then they got organized and started stacking tires inside, with masking tape on the tread listing size and price. Price kept moving up to $25 then I said forget them.

Still get occasional deals on CL or FBM. If I need rims I'll buy rims with tires, sell the tires, make most of my money back. Helps a LOT to have my own tire machine.

Only had one problem with a used tire-- had plenty of tread, no cracks, newish date code, no visible internal damage. Just blew on a hot summer day. Rear axle of my saturn, probably had 400 lbs riding on it.

That said, for a few year span that 2 years ago, new tires were the greatest bargain they've ever been, especially during the DTD holiday rebate bonanazas. I could work for 1-1.5 hours and earn enough to get a new name brand tire for my car. Going through newspaper ads from the 80s and 90s things were never that cheap.

I have a stack of 5 good used tires waiting for my fleet of prii, and a 6th that shows weather cracking that I'm putting 600 miles a week on to "burn up" on a front axle before it goes bad.

With today's spiraling inflation and supply issues I'm thinking a lot of used tries are being mounted on vehicles.
In my younger days I'd buy used tires too, but that was a long time ago, today I'd have to be in severe financial straights to consider that these days. I'd much rather buy a cheap new store brand than bother with a used tire whose internal condition and history I cannot trust, the lives of myself and my family members are well worth it! Certainly do agree that with inflation and supply issues a lot more used tires are being sold these days.

Back