Just bought a new (used) 2017 Sportage. Can you help me with this sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! So my car is low on coolant (owned it 2 weeks now) and I have people telling me this sound is piston slap and my engine is going to fail. Other people say it's 100% normal for GDI engines and not to be worried. Could I gather some of your opinions?

https://youtu.be/YWFnmg6QP9c

I would say it sounds normal if it's in the first two or three seconds after starting.

That does not sound good to me; does it have oil in it?

I hope you got an extended engine warranty…

Own a 2020 KIA Sportage and engine sounds much like that. Had a Hyundai Tucson and a KIA Sorento and it too sounded the same with direct injection.

Add some coolant to the proper level and keep an eye on it.

Direct injection uses high pressures and some noise is normal.

Given my experience with Hyundai/Kia engines, this sounds like typical cold start lifter noise. Especially given the cold weather.

Suggest using high quality 5W20 oil and OEM oil filter.

Sounds just like my mother's 2104 Accent with the 1.6 gdi.
She never had a problem with it but she sold the car early on for something else.

How low was the coolant? I've got a 2016 Kia Sorento 3.3L V6 that I have to top off the overflow every 6 months or so. Just from in between the low and full to the full mark.

My 2013 2.4 has only 30,000 miles - and it sounds similar (depending on how sensitive your microphone is)

The GDI (BOTH the high-pressure pump... AND the injectors) are noisy on this engine... almost like a diesel sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back