Just bought a Droid Turbo @ Best Buy... $49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting this morning, Best Buy dropped the price of the Motorola Droid Turbo (32 GB) to $49.

Not sure if this is because the S6 and the One M9 are imminent, but for what the Turbo offers, I'm definitely in at $49.

This was probably more of a "want" than a "need". However, since I travel a lot by motorcycle, and a smartphone allows me a bit more freedom with my job, it was an easy decision at that price.

No store within a 100 mile radius had anything except the Best Buy Blue edition... so I'll wait a couple of days for them to ship me a black one (for free). If I'm too stupid to get it activated myself, then I'll go to the local BB store and get some help.... but I don't expect that to be an issue.

Of course, I'll be under contract for another two years, but I get a 20% discount with Verizon, so that helps quite a bit.

So, we'll see how this goes. I've never owned a phone that wasn't a Motorola, so this is yet another in a long line of Moto products.

So it's still a subsidized phone it's just at a cheaper price then say an iPhone or a Samsung??

I've always been happy with Motorola products someday I might consider one of their phones especially if they're being made domestically.

That's a pretty nice deal, my upgrade is available on April 1st with sprint, so looking to replace my HTC One M7 with either the M9 or S6 maybe, almost perfect timing since they should be readily available then.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So it's still a subsidized phone it's just at a cheaper price then say an iPhone or a Samsung??

I've always been happy with Motorola products someday I might consider one of their phones especially if they're being made domestically.

I use to really like thier phones also. However a few years back I bought a Motorola and the battery life was horrible. By the time I got to lunch the thing was almost always dead and I don't even really use cellphones. I just left the screen off or in the truck and it was always dead. After a year and a half of that I decided against another Motorola.

For extra safety I got one where you can actually replace the battery if it goes bad. The Motorola's was built in...

The Droid Turbo has a 3900 mAh battery.

Getting through the day shouldn't be an issue.
smile.gif

That's a good battery, might be bigger then my G3's. However I would like to say given the chance try to avoid phones with built in battery's. They can be a pain especially in contract unless you don't mind buying a new phone a full price a few months later.

Very niec 3900 mAh battery size! I am not used to seeing such big batteries in stock form, that's why in the past i have made sure whatever i get is supported by a Laza/Mugen Power extended battery. The HTC One M7 i have has the sealed battery inside, so i had to get a Mugen power case with the battery in the case.

I've had a Turbo since November and absolutely love it. I assumed the various Moto Assist functions would be very gimmicky but I've since found some of them to be invaluable.

Update:

I have the Turbo in hand. I've been using WiFi to get it set up, while leaving my cell service on my old phone. Once I get the new phone completely set up, I'll only have to make one phone call to swap service between the two phones, and go.

The only thing that has been really disappointing about this, was from Best Buy. Someone put my new phone (inside of its factory packaging), inside of an empty box, taped it shut, and sent it to me. No packing peanuts, no bubble wrap, no crumpled newspaper.... nothing. Just rattling around inside of an empty box.

To me, that just screams that someone doesn't care. At that point, it isn't their phone anymore... it is mine. And I expect them to treat it like it is mine. But, for the most part, caring and customer service died a painful death at least several years ago, so I guess I'm not sure what I really expect.

For that, I'll probably not let Best Buy ship anything to me in the future. If I can't get it in the store, then I'll simply take my business elsewhere.

I've added around 30 apps, 75 songs, and around 3GB of photos and videos, and still have over 80% of the memory free.

The only thing that has disappointed me about the phone itself, is the buttons for power and volume. They feel worn out, on a brand new phone. They're simply loose and sloppy. The buttons on my 2+ year old Razr M have a much better feel to them. I'm hoping that when I get a case on it, that the case will mask the sloppy feel.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The only thing that has disappointed me about the phone itself, is the buttons for power and volume. They feel worn out, on a brand new phone. They're simply loose and sloppy. The buttons on my 2+ year old Razr M have a much better feel to them. I'm hoping that when I get a case on it, that the case will mask the sloppy feel.

The reason for this, at least on the volume rocker, is that the volume rocker doubles as the pull-out SIM card tray. My Droid Mini's volume buttons have a slightly "loose feel" to them as well. The power button seems tight, though.

And as I hoped would happen, a Otterbox Commuter case made the buttons feel completely different.... and completely better!

Very pleased with Otterbox!

Is this phone capable of accepting a local SIM card OUTSIDE of the US? (IOW, can it accept an Intl SIM card?)
Does it come SIM unlocked ? (Not a complete unlock, but SIM unlocked)?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Is this phone capable of accepting a local SIM card OUTSIDE of the US? (IOW, can it accept an Intl SIM card?)
Does it come SIM unlocked ? (Not a complete unlock, but SIM unlocked)?

Yes. All Verizon 4G LTE devices are legally required to be unlocked. All GSM portions of it's radio are unlocked and ready to roll.

Even Domestic works superb. Even get some of AT&T's and T-Mobile's LTE flavors, and varying degrees of HSPA+, all the way back down to EDGE/2G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back