Just bought a big Lunati VooDoo hydraulic cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep...I think the new (well newish) Delo 400, or Pennz long life are the ones with moly.

Delo 400 has had moly for a while now. Not sure about the Pennz. An oil with lots of moly is good, I would be particularly concerned with the AW/EP add pack, and like Shannow said fleet oils are usually formulated for diesels and dual rated for gas so they have lots of EP usually.

Castrol Tection can be had for around $6.00-8.00/gal on sale at Autozone among other places. I paid about $6.80/gal last time it was on sale. It seems to be giving me good service in all my flat tappet gas engines.

If you want to run a synthetic oil you could run your favorite syn oil and add some SX-UP, VSOT, etc. There are some gpIV/V diesel oils, but they are fairly pricey.

Rotella T synthetic comp was specing that for flat tappets.
BTW I will be putting one of those voodoo grinds in my LS1 very shortly. Probably a slightly different profile than yours --ha ha.

Guys, I've run diesel motor oil in my flat tappet 350 Buick engine. Diesel motor oils have great additive packages but, what I have found is the engine runs like a slug with that thick of an oil in it and it kills the mileage somewhat. Sort of like when I ran Castrol Syntec 0w-30 in two motors rated for a 5w-30 oil, they both ran like slugs and mileage was killed on them.

Quote:

Sort of like when I ran Castrol Syntec 0w-30 in two motors rated for a 5w-30 oil, they both ran like slugs and mileage was killed on them.

how is it you ran a lighter oil and the mileage got worse and they ran like slugs?
confused.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Sort of like when I ran Castrol Syntec 0w-30 in two motors rated for a 5w-30 oil, they both ran like slugs and mileage was killed on them.

how is it you ran a lighter oil and the mileage got worse and they ran like slugs?
confused.gif

German Castrol (GC) 0w-30 is thicker than most if not all 5w-30's at most temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back