just bought a 2012 sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
it has the 1.8 in it and flys down the hiway, lots of headroom and trunkroom too...if anyone else has a cruze or sonic how have they run for you? any ideas when to change the FF? i am at least going 3k...it is nice to see big 3 back on their feet again, i think this sonic will be highly competitive with any asian subcompact...the new dodge dart looks awesome

The Chevy Sonic has me more impressed than any other offering from GM. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but good reliable fun to drive economy cars are the future for most US consumers.

But, you didn't get the turbo??? NOOOOOOO!

Anyway, congrats! If I was in the market, a Sonic would be top 3.

I always liked the body style of the Aveo5,which is now the Sonic (but with a different engine, the same engine as the Cruze). The only complaint I have is price. I was a GM salesman for three and a half years. I sold a new Aveo 5 stripped down model for $8k in the fall of 2009. Shortly thereafter, the body style was updated somewhat and the same vehicle retailed for $12k. To me, this was just GM taking advantage of rising fuel prices. GM no longer offers a low priced economy car. I won't debate the merits of the Sonic, but for not much more, one can have a Cruze Eco. The Cruze Eco is a much better buy IMO. I would really like to see GM get back into the economy car segment with an auto priced in the $8k-$9k range,which is where the Sonic should be priced.

The Sonic has earned some very high marks in comparison testing and reviews I've read...except for the price. GM did a GREAT job on this car but has it priced higher than some mid-sizers. Still, have you priced used cars lately? I think the best deals out there right now are on year old models with 10,000-20,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
The Sonic has earned some very high marks in comparison testing and reviews I've read...except for the price. GM did a GREAT job on this car but has it priced higher than some mid-sizers. Still, have you priced used cars lately? I think the best deals out there right now are on year old models with 10,000-20,000 miles.

Hopefully, GM will offer decent discounts/rebates/customer loyality discounts on their cars.

I have 1,700 miles on my 2012 Cruze in the 2 weeks since I bought it. Great car so far. I have the 1.4l turbo. I seriously considered the Sonic. I wanted the 1.4 engine with the auto trans but that wasn't available yet. Also, inventory of the Sonics I my area was somewhat limited. The dealers were offering better discounts on the Cruze. When I took equipment levels and discounts into account, the Cruze came out to nearly the same price.

If I have been in the market a few months from now, I probably would have gone for the Sonic. Best of luck with your new ride.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
good buy when gas goes to $4/gallon this summer

We're hearing on our local news that the gas prices this summer could reach $5/gal. We'll all be driving Sonics' when that happens!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Unfortunately for those of us who run trucks for our dollars the idea of 5 dollar gas is a bit terrifying!

+1!

Nice choice! I looked at the sonic the other day when I was in the dealer, and I thought it was excellent. Granted I didn't drive one, but still. The 1.8L isn't supposed to be so bad in the Sonic, but it does have a timing belt that will need changed eventually, but that's not much of a big deal really. Pics!

Also, my cruze is going great. Other than the TCM update, which was voluntary and extremely minor, I'm more than satisfied. I average 28-30 mpg on premium, and highway between 32-36 depending on how fast I'm going, and other factors.

Last edited:
Just got 50 mpg highway in my Cruze Eco between Buffalo, NY and Springfield, MA. It was 55 mpg before I hit some nasty snow between Albany and Springfield. 375 miles on about 7.5 gallons of fuel. I set the cruise control at 62 mph and let it run. The car still has over 1/4 tank left, lol! (PS, it's a 12 gallon tank)

Congrats on the Sonic purchase! Enjoy it, and we'd love to see pictures! When I got my Cruze, the Sonic was not yet available.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Unfortunately for those of us who run trucks for our dollars the idea of 5 dollar gas is a bit terrifying!

+1!

Indeed!
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Just got 50 mpg highway in my Cruze Eco between Buffalo, NY and Springfield, MA. It was 55 mpg before I hit some nasty snow between Albany and Springfield. 375 miles on about 7.5 gallons of fuel. I set the cruise control at 62 mph and let it run. The car still has over 1/4 tank left, lol! (PS, it's a 12 gallon tank)

Congrats on the Sonic purchase! Enjoy it, and we'd love to see pictures! When I got my Cruze, the Sonic was not yet available.

Nice run Sciphi!

I was in Orlando over the weekend and saw a few Sonics on the road. They look much better in person than in a magazine or web photo.

I think with gas prices an econobox is the right car for many that don't 'need' a 6000 Lb vehicle.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
just wondering why you didn't get the 1.4t? was it because of the price? that is an all-around better engine than the 1.8

He might have wanted the auto, which right now is only available with the 1.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back