Just Bought a 2001 Saturn SL1 5 Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest with you, tpitcher, Saturns are easy to work on. However, don't let the other posters give you a false sense of security-- these cars need frequent attention and they are not the most reliable, at all.

For example, my '96 SL2 has 133k on it. My parents were the original owners and my father and I have done most of the work on it. Over the course of 133k, the following items have gone wrong:

Alternator-- 63k
Starter-- 99k
A/C Recharge-- 130k*
PCV Breather hose-- 60k
Valve Cover gasket and spark plug tube seals-- 96k*
Upper motor mount- 96k*
Transmission valve body cover gasket-- 98k*
Serpentine Belt Tensioner-- 88k
Trunk wiring-- 133k*
Radiator-- 125k
Thermostat-- 120k*
Struts and front strut mounts-- 129k*
Rear Sway Bar End Links-- 115k*

The items that are marked with a star were long overdue when they were replaced. In addition to the above list, right now I still need to replace the cruise control module (also long overdue), the rear brake calipers, the lower control arms and the front sway bar bushings.

So, these Saturns can be economical to own as long as you do ALL of the work yourself. Otherwise, they can be a nightmare. Luckily, saturnfans.com is a great resource.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
To be honest with you, tpitcher, Saturns are easy to work on. However, don't let the other posters give you a false sense of security-- these cars need frequent attention and they are not the most reliable, at all.

For example, my '96 SL2 has 133k on it. My parents were the original owners and my father and I have done most of the work no it. Over the cost of 133k, the following things have gone wrong:

Alternator-- 63k
Starter-- 99k
A/C Recharge-- 130k*
PCV Breather hose-- 60k
Upper motor mount- 96k*
Trunk wiring-- 133k*
Radiator-- 125k
Thermostat-- 120k*

The items that are marked with a star were long overdue when they were replaced. In addition to the above list, right now I still need to replace the cruise control module (also long overdue), the rear brake calipers, the lower control arms and the front sway bar bushings.

So, these Saturns can be economical to own as long as you do ALL of the work yourself. Otherwise, they can be a nightmare. Luckily, saturnfans.com is a great resource.

cheers3.gif

I guess I was lucky.

I have had no problems so far, except for a couple check engine lights that I fixed myself rather easily once I got the code.

I do things preventative maintenance items like:

1. Clean EGR on a set schedule

2. Clean throttle body

3. Reapplied electrical contact grease to all sensors

4. Change spark plugs a little early and thoroughly clean ignition system

5. Flush radiator once a year regardless

6. Monitor oil religiously

7. Take bumps slow and I never hot rod this car

8. Replaced ECTS

etc.

I am shocked to hear of all of your problems, but no doubt they happened. My cousin has an SL2 he absolutely beats on like a rented mule and he is at 255K and counting.

T_C is right about Saturn Fans web site. I studied the site tutorials and posts and can do a lot to this car. Very easy to work on for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

For example, my '96 SL2 has 133k on it. My parents were the original owners and my father and I have done most of the work on it. Over the course of 133k, the following items have gone wrong:

Alternator-- 63k
Starter-- 99k
A/C Recharge-- 130k*
PCV Breather hose-- 60k
Upper motor mount- 96k*
Trunk wiring-- 133k*
Radiator-- 125k
Thermostat-- 120k*

cheers3.gif

Seems like you have more repairs then most. Mine has had my share of repairs, but not that extensive. I have the original suspension parts with over 150,000 miles on my 99SL2. Rides well and tires wearing well. To me, the beauty of these cars is the layout of the engine making some DIY tasks simple. I like simple. There is a ton. No, more then a ton of DIY info available. It is one of the best cars I have had, even with heavy oil consumption. Congratulations! Looks nice. One problem with the SL1 of that generation is the intake manifold gasket leaking. If you start getting a high idle it may be leaking. Seems like GM had problems when switching to the plastic intake. I prefer my trouble free metal one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back