Just bought 2001 Tahoe with some minor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KeithKman
Congrats on your purchase. I love my 2001 Tahoe. The alt are known to go out between 150k - 200k on the 5.3's. Have it tested.

I planned on changing the trans filter and fluid this past weekend. I couldn't get the drain plug loose on the trans pan. I checked online and apparently it's a known issue as GM torqued the drain plug way too tight. It's extremely difficult to get it loose.

When you go to drain your trans, use an impact gun on the drain plug to remove it. If not you'll round the drain plug like I did. You can see my thread here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2869984

I bought a Bolt-Out kit I plan on trying this weekend.

Heat the drain plug as it has thread locker on it.

Originally Posted By: gradymotorco
Update- Finished the flush & fill on the rear axle this afternoon, but had to go tend to some other errands and didn't have time to do the fluid & filter change. The Mobil 1 made a world of difference! No more chatter at all. The truck is much quieter and smoother driving as well. The lube I drained from the rear end looked as if it had been in there a while, but it did not look nearly as bad as I had expected.

Did the old diff fluid smell like grape candy? That would tell you either that it was original or somebody changed it with the GM stuff.

It didn't really have any scent to it. It was dark but you could tell by the feel of it that it wasn't regular gear oil. I noticed this afternoon that when driving at low speed you can still hear a slight noise from the back. Is it normal for this type differential to make noise?

What sort of noise? My pickup makes a whine in reverse, but nothing going forward. Sometimes there's a quick knock when the locker and traction control are working together.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
What sort of noise? My pickup makes a whine in reverse, but nothing going forward. Sometimes there's a quick knock when the locker and traction control are working together.

Its not so much a whine as it is a growl, if that makes any sense. It only happens at very low speed and I can barely make it out, usually the only time I hear it is when the windows are down.

If it is a growl while turning you may need to add a limited slip additive. Most auto parts stores carry it, it prevents the limited slip clutches from chattering. Almost always needed in limited slip diffs regardless of the oil you put in, even if the oil says the LS additive isn't needed with their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back