Just an observation on Fram OC

I was watching Mecum top 10 Ferraris this morning. I was surprised at how many million dollar + Ferraris had Fram orange cans installed. The other filter I saw was Baldwin. Just interesting not really trying to start anything, even though I bet this might devolve ;)

Aren't Honda OEM (and others) just Fram PH filters too ? I'd venture to say that Fram PH filters could be some of the most popular/common filters out there and while there are instances of issues with them, their failure rate by % may not be as high as people think.

They're usually Fram's orange racing filters, aren't they?
3DB653B2-E0F0-4B93-9BD2-D6816D6316C9.jpg

This. See them all the time on cars at auction. Looks like a regular orange can from a distance.

This seems a lot like the nice-looking classic/near-exotic cars being auctioned on Bring-A-Trailer that frequently sport no-name Asian tires.

I suspect that Fram's selector tool never recommends their "racing" filter for any (street-use) application.
They show it in the look-up for a couple of my vehicles. If the size is right, it will be shown along with all the other filters that fit. No reason it couldn't be used on a street use vehicle.

They show it in the look-up for a couple of my vehicles.
I just tried multiple vehicles and ended up having one listed for an '08 Mustang 5.4L (an HP16). My car is an '08 so I started there. Heh, can buy it on Amazon and it's only $20 ! I was thinking at first it might be a machined housing with a replaceable filter internals that cost a couple hundred dollars. Can't remember who made those now though....

I just tried multiple vehicles and ended up having one listed for an '08 Mustang 5.4L (an HP16). My car is an '08 so I started there. Heh, can buy it on Amazon and it's only $20 ! I was thinking at first it might be a machined housing with a replaceable filter internals that cost a couple hundred dollars. Can't remember who made those now though....
Those machined wire mesh (cleanable) filters are made by quite a few manufactures ... but they are more like $150-$200.

Yes, "cleanable" is the more accurate / better description. Just tried Fram, Wix, and Amsoil... I know I've seen them and swear it was Fram.

K&N makes 'em 👍

I know years back that FRAM of Europe had oil filters made and sold over there that were nothing like the USA made ones with the fiber board end caps. They were heavy gauge metal cans with metal end caps on the media and way stouter.

Fram Extra Guard filters are not premium filters, but as it is said, they meet the spec. Yes it is also surprising to me, seeing high-end vehicles serviced with "adequate" parts. I think the owners may not be doing their own maintenance, and their focus/specialty is earning them enough money to not care as much about what oil filter is on their Ferrari LOL.

The picture of the Fram ph28041 on Amazon shows a Champ labs baseplate and a high price. It isn’t an OC of you know what on the Ferraris.
On the Fram USA site it shows a “heavy duty” on the white box, and the base plate doesn’t have the larger hole like on Amazon. But it looks unlike any Fram consumer product. I think the box says manufactured for Fram, but it is not clear in the picture.

Last edited:
These cars don’t get driven a lot at all. As long as there is lots of clean oil in the engine, and ‘a filter’ on them, they are just fine.

Back