Just a little extra internet on my phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have an interesting question to ask here. My job will soon require me to have a phone that can get on the internet (No, they don't plan to pay for it), so I am considering what to do.

I currently have a dumb phone through AT&T, as part of a family plan. My parents are not in the best health, so this makes it best for them/cheaper for us both.(as they requested- don't want to come off as a mooch or something
frown.gif
..) It is only talk and text, no internet...and an upgraded plan would be at a crazy cost...

So, I was looking at a few options:

Republic Wireless: Plans are cheaper, but based quite a bit on wifi- I work around a bunch of wifi, but unsure of the company itself....

I-wireless (Kroger) 10 buck plan, but grab a phone that can do wifi- also would have a few extra minutes or web if I needed them.

At some point I'll get one of those everything plans, but do not feel like doling out another 50-60 bucks on top of what I am paying now....

Just saw an ad yesterday for Net 10 wirless through Walmart. $50 unlimited talk, text and web. Just don't go using it at a wedding.
smile.gif

Check out ting.com I was paying about 70 a month for ATT and a dumbphone and now pay under 25$ for a smartphone.

It uses Sprint's network so make sure this is adequate in your area

Is this a white collar or blue collar job? Can a employer really force you to have your own personal smartphone?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is this a white collar or blue collar job? Can a employer really force you to have your own personal smartphone?

My thoughts exactly.

Perhaps they cannot force you but they certainly can make it very uncomfortable if you do not comply. I went through that when a laptop for my office was "required" on my dime. In short, if I wanted to remain employed there go get one, if not then bye.

Check into T-Mobile's $50 month unlimited everything plan.

t mobile is fine if you dont ever plan on leaving the highway or the city.

I would just go with any pre-paid carrier around you, they use sprint or big red's network anyway

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Perhaps they cannot force you but they certainly can make it very uncomfortable if you do not comply. I went through that when a laptop for my office was "required" on my dime. In short, if I wanted to remain employed there go get one, if not then bye.

I always thought that if you needed something for the office they either tell you before you are hired (like a mechanic needing his own tools). Otherwise if it is a business need and they don't provide it (especially for expensive items) and they fire you for not getting your own that pretty much amounts to discrimination.

Look at Consumer Cellular. They have plans for $25 with data, no contracts. You can buy a phone from them over 2 years of payments.

These days, your best buy is to buy the phone and shop for a plan.

Consumer Cellular uses AT&T cell service.

I am on call 24x7 every other month. I just need to be reachable by phone.

EMAIL to a normal cell phone is not very secure. My company only allows Blackberrys supplied by the company. All company business is done over a VPN if you are outside of an office building.

I agree. I've never had it with something as big as a laptop myself but I'm not shocked. My gf was told (white collar job, small company) that is was unacceptable to not have internet access during a blackout, she was not told to go get one, but was told you should have one and go work from a remote location if such a situation came up again (mind you her building was closed because of lack of power).

I had a job that basically told me go out and get a GPS for travel.

Much less drastic, but personal phone needing to be used for occasional business use (calls and texting) seems pretty common from places I've worked (white collar).

I don't recall any employer asking its employee to buy (or rent) their own pagers in the past!

Are we really becoming so much paranoid that whatever employers tells us, we will just do it because of the fear of the hidden reprisals?

In my white collar office, I am the only engineer who has a dumb phone. I am trying to see how long I will be able to hold off but if my manager wants me to carry a smartphone, company should pay for it.

I don't even answer my phone when my office calls me off-hours (extremely rare) because they do not provide a work phone.

You got a raw deal...

Check into T-Mobile's $50 month unlimited everything plan.

Truth is, he is very right. I work in retail....for a very political company. They will find ways if I don't comply....

Why I new a new job soon!
frown.gif

I also to not get paid mileage even if I work at a location 100 miles away....plus, I do not get a choice in these matters either...

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I don't even answer my phone when my office calls me off-hours (extremely rare) because they do not provide a work phone.

You got a raw deal...

Yeah...can't find a new job fast enough....
frown.gif

I think the requirements of a smartphone or other gadgets/internet are becoming a tool of your trade.

If you are a mechanic you have your own tools. A pizza delivery person your own vehicle. Work in finance, law etc typically wear suits to work. Work in construction wear quality hard toe boots etc.

Nothing different just new technology creeping in.

I don't recall any employer asking its employee to buy (or rent) their own pagers in the past!
How common were personal use pagers in the past compared to personal use cell phones today? I'd guess that exponentially more people have cell phones than had pagers in the past.

Are we really becoming so much paranoid that whatever employers tells us, we will just do it because of the fear of the hidden reprisals?
Probably - but how many other extraneous factors influences someone's standing in the workplace (being able to talk sports, going out to lunch with folks, drinks after work, participating it lotto pools, politics, etc.).

Ringplus is what my wife has. Prepaid byod nexus 5. I have a motox on republic wireless. Unlimited 3g for 25 a month. 40 a month unlimited 4g. I have the 10 dollar WiFi plan. Good services so far. Beware motox is tied to republic wireless

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I think the requirements of a smartphone or other gadgets/internet are becoming a tool of your trade.

If you are a mechanic you have your own tools. A pizza delivery person your own vehicle. Work in finance, law etc typically wear suits to work. Work in construction wear quality hard toe boots etc.

Nothing different just new technology creeping in.

Maybe so, maybe not.

The only one that to me is analogous is the mechanic with their tools.

However, given all the IT garbage, not sure it counts.

I also agree with this:

Its leveraging fear and too much power being given to the employer so someone else can profit from the "efficiency".

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Ringplus is what my wife has. Prepaid byod nexus 5. I have a motox on republic wireless. Unlimited 3g for 25 a month. 40 a month unlimited 4g. I have the 10 dollar WiFi plan. Good services so far. Beware motox is tied to republic wireless

How has the wifi been so far? able to make any phone calls with it?

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

I always thought that if you needed something for the office they either tell you before you are hired (like a mechanic needing his own tools). Otherwise if it is a business need and they don't provide it (especially for expensive items) and they fire you for not getting your own that pretty much amounts to discrimination.

Oh it was, no doubt. It was also discrimination when this same company cut loose all employees over 50 years of age (and ONLY those employees) on the same day, yours truly was one of them. This was quite some years back too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back