just a few valvetrain pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took these pictures for my own records, but thought you guys might be interested as well.
normal sized images
http://www.gts4.com/vc/vc.html
very large images
http://www.gts4.com/vc2/vc2.html

98,000 miles on the engine
2003 civic, 1.7l 4cyl
Oil changed every 7,000-8,000mi with 5w-20 full synthetic. Except i did 1 5000mi oci with mc syn blend, and 1 5000mi oci with castrol gtx.

I think ill stick to my current 7,500mi oci
smile.gif

Mostly mobil 1. I ran an oci of pz plat, syntec, and a red line 3-4 times as well.

Impressive!

I previously owned a 2001 Civic LX with the 1.7L 4-banger. I did 10,000 mile OCIs with Mobil 1 and it always purred along like a sewing machine.
smile.gif

What kind of oil were you using?

The pictures clearly show that you are ruining that engine with those long OCI's! It'll self destruct if you don't start following the 3/3000 change intervals!
grin.gif

Seriously, this lends a significant blow to the 3/3000 crowd....

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
The pictures clearly show that you are ruining that engine with those long OCI's! It'll self destruct if you don't start following the 3/3000 change intervals!
grin.gif

How? He ran 7000-8000 mile OCI's with Mobil1, not regular dino...

I'm just hoping that the M1 protects as well as it keeps clean. I sent a sample off to butler today, should recieve the results Wed.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
The silence from the M1 haters is deafening. . .

Guys. Yes, it's clean.
As it should be.
But Mobil 1 is NOT the reason.
It's a 2003 model with almost 100K miles.
These are the most favorable driving conditions your engine can dream of.
More than 30K per year.
No doubt, those are the easiest on the engine freeway miles.
With 7-8K OCI's he was changing oil 4 times per year!!!!!!
Even if he's never run Mobil 1 in that engine, it would still look as clean as in the pictures!!!

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
grin.gif

How? He ran 7000-8000 mile OCI's with Mobil1, not regular dino...

Did I say anything about conventional oil? I was mocking those who change synthetics out at 3K. Read it more carefully. Nowhere did I mention conventional oil.

Awwwww, c'mon now vad -- this engine's condition is the result of a combination of factors (as is always the case), one of which certainly is the oil used. And his usage pattern is not necessarily all easy miles. I'm accumulating miles at essentially the same rate (slightly greater, actually), and that includes 20-30 miles per day, sometimes more, of brutal stop-and-go urban miles, which aren't exactly the easiest on an engine or oil. I know you don't like M1, but if it were the horse urine that some folks here would like everybody to believe, you wouldn't expect this engine to be in such good shape. Of course, I suppose we should all reserve judgment until his UOA is posted.

As to what the engine would have looked like on another oil -- respectfully, that's pure speculation.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back