just a few valvetrain pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
sxg6,
offtopic.gif

Do you have any loose valves in cold weather at startup? I've got one or more but it goes away after it warms up. I have the 2001.
Looks great, hope mine looks that good with my Amsoil/M1 combo since 29k.

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
Did I say anything about conventional oil? I was mocking those who change synthetics out at 3K. Read it more carefully. Nowhere did I mention conventional oil.

I was not aware there was a big push to change synthetics out at 3000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
And his usage pattern is not necessarily all easy miles.

elkpolk, he puts over 30K per year.
How many of those can be stop-n-go? Unless he spends 8 hours per day in traffic.
quote:

I know you don't like M1, but if it were the horse urine that some folks here would like everybody to believe, you wouldn't expect this engine to be in such good shape..

I don't dislike M1!!!
What I dislike is the superiority image followed and maintained by way too many on this board.
M1 is a fine oil! But it's not leaps and bounds above the competition. Not anymore!
This thread is a prime example.
The guy didn't use M1 exclusively!
Yet the most of folks are quick to proclaim that the engine is so clean because of M1.
quote:

As to what the engine would have looked like on another oil -- respectfully, that's pure speculation.

And there is no any evidence that it would look any different on any other oil under his conditions.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
sxg6,
offtopic.gif

Do you have any loose valves in cold weather at startup? I've got one or more but it goes away after it warms up. I have the 2001.
Looks great, hope mine looks that good with my Amsoil/M1 combo since 29k.

I'm not sure, in cold weather my mind is usually just thinking about how freezing it is inside my car and how quick i hope it warms up.
grin.gif

About the type of driving i do, i'd guess..
60-70% highway miles, 30-40% city miles.

I also agree with vad. In that, the engine would probably look this clean with any synthetic. Because of how often i change the oil, the type of driving i do, and the fact that its a fairly new car. But as ekpolk said, that is purely speculation.

I'm suspicious of any motor oil that doesn't permit a protective, preserving layer of sticky varnish to build up to prevent the wear ravages of particulate assault to precision machined surfaces. That poor engine is rapidly heading for irreperable disaster if you don't mend your foolish ways!
rolleyes.gif

An excellent testament to the cleaning ability of Mobil synthetic oil. Also an excellent testament to the fact that when using a Mobil syn you don't need an engine cleaning oil additive. Of COURSE this doesn't mean that one or more other oils won't produce the same results at the same mileage. But if you are going to claim that, show us pictures of engines that look as good as this one with similar milage using a different oil and no oil additive usage.

This guy's got 98,000 mi. on his engine. I've worked on engines since the mid 50's and I can tell you that before the engine-cleaning syn oils came on the market I never saw an engine with anywhere near this mileage that wasn't dirty. They ALL got dirty. That was the accepted nature of the beast.

My 91 Civic Si engine looked every bit as clean as this having been run with Castrol GTX 10W-30 since 1200 miles. It had a slight valve cover gasket leak that I thought should be fixed before selling, and after popping the cover, I was amazed at the cleanliness, even on the underside of the cover. But...this is because I consistently changed oil between 2500 - 3000 miles. I think any oil (except ancient Penzoil) can keep things clean with frequent OCIs, but syns offer the added protection I'm looking for in the Texas heat.

What is the black sooty-looking ooze coming out of the rockers at the valve tips. It sort of looks like the fine particulate mess that M1 leaves undisturbed in the guts of my push-mowers.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:

quote:

Did I say anything about conventional oil? I was mocking those who change synthetics out at 3K. Read it more carefully. Nowhere did I mention conventional oil.

I'd recommend you read some of the other threads with posters continuing to change out at 3/3000 with synthetics.

What do you have against using longer OCI's?

Some of us have to change synthetics at short OCIs.
rolleyes.gif

Looks fantastic. Hope my engine looks as good in 20k when it hits 100K.

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:

quote:

I'd recommend you read some of the other threads with posters continuing to change out at 3/3000 with synthetics.

What do you have against using longer OCI's?

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
Of COURSE this doesn't mean that one or more other oils won't produce the same results at the same mileage. But if you are going to claim that, show us pictures of engines that look as good as this one with similar milage using a different oil and no oil additive usage.

Do you wanna see my pictures? I took them when I crossed 70K mi mark over 5 years.
I've posted them before. But we'll do it again if you wanna see them.
I used different oil but never claimed that my engine is clean simply because of that specific oil used.
quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
This guy's got 98,000 mi. on his engine. I've worked on engines since the mid 50's and I can tell you that before the engine-cleaning syn oils came on the market I never saw an engine with anywhere near this mileage that wasn't dirty. They ALL got dirty. That was the accepted nature of the beast.

The motor oils have come a looong way since the fifties.
The engines themselves are running sooo much cleaner.

Ditto on the comments! I'm running 20K OCI using M1 0W-20 with bypass filter on wife's '04 CR-V. Currently have 59,000 miles. You don't know how bad these photos make me want to tear the VC off tonight.

Seriously, though, I'd be happy to post my results. When do guys think I should do it, now or at 98,000 miles, or somewhere in between?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back