Junkyard door for '97 Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody got a clue what a rear driver's side door for a '97 Ford Expedition will cost at a salvage yard?

My wife had an "incident" this morning in our garage, & now the rear door is going to need to be replaced ASAP.

What may appear as a "quick fix" to the problem by removing and reinstalling a new door may not be the best solution. Like you said, I too believe that an estimate with Maaco is in order before doing some as drastic as replacing the door, as the repair may be simpler that you may think. Any pictures?

[ April 02, 2006, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: The Critic ]

My wife attempted to back out of the garage with the rear door wide open. I didn't see the incident; I only heard it. She damaged the Expeditions' door, mangled the garage door track, & somehow the Expy's door put a 18"x18" hole in the garage wall's sheetrock.

The Expy's door doesn't close all the way now, & the window pops out of the rubber guides when it is lowered.

It looks very simple to removed & replace the door. I'm hoping I can find one cheap. I may have a body shop look at it & see if they can get it straight, before I search for a replacement door.

On a lighter note; I couldn't get too mad at my wife; She's 5 months pregnant & I've made mistakes waaaaaaaaaay worse than this one. All is forgiven, we just have to get everything fixed now.

try http://car-part.com/ that will give you a quick idea of what its gonna cost at least in your area. i've used them to find where its at, then called the lot and i've always rcvd a better price when i've called.

Today, I'm pulling all of the wires out of my "new" door, prepping it for installation. I've also got to pull the wires out of the existing door, so I can attach them to the connections in the new door.

This is a major PITB. What was I thinking trying to do this myself? I may wind up taking it to a body shop, & let them finish the job. Why can't everything be as easy as changing oil?

I need a beer.
wink.gif

p.s. Next, I get to fix the hole in the garage wall that my wife put in it with the old door. What fun!!!
rolleyes.gif

A long time ago someone I know busted an electrically adjustable side view mirror off a rental vehicle.

Someone else I know helped put on a new one but the wires wouldn't snake.

So he/she just spliced and taped.

Regrettably, your car is a keeper, and worth redoing like the factory intended. But don't be afraid to properly splice if you don't have room.

quote:

Someone else I know

lol.gif

When I had to replace a Power window motor in my 1999 Ford Taurus drivers door, I was shocked how much CRAP and wires were inside a door.

Very happy without power windows on my Toyota.

Hopefully (yeah right) my Silverado's window motors will never have a problem...
rolleyes.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Well, I'm done for today. I managed to unplug all the connectore & remove the wiring harness from the new door. Here's why I had to remove it.:

-

Here's a pic of the wiring before I removed it from the door:

-

Here's one of the door with the wiring harness removed:

-

Here's one with the hinges removed. I HAD TO remove the hinges; it's hard to explain, but they had to come off. The hinges that are on the Expy now will stay put:

-

I have an old volvo 740 with a decent dent/scrape in the front passenger door. I went to the local U-Pull-it salvage yard and found a matching vehicle. Lets just say that by the time I removed the door from the donor car plus the possibilty of having to also swap out the power lock/window mechanisms plus it started to rain (stupid record rainfall!!) I decided that my 230K '87 wagon was just fine as it was. The door was only going to be 17 bucks! I feel your pain
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by valaker:
I have an old volvo 740 with a decent dent/scrape in the front passenger door.....The door was only going to be 17 bucks!....

Let's just say that an Expedition door, even with a few minor dings, from a junkyard, costs a LOT MORE than $17.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back