JT20's running Infiniti J30 condition assessment and maintenance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Vise Grips HAVE to be the original Irwin Vise Grips. We always kept a pair of Vise Grips clamped to our seat posts back when we were kids in our BMX days, because something would always break or fall off while we were literally miles across town haha!! And they always saved the day!! We must've been 12,13. Sometime in the early 1980s.

I remember my friend had bought a cheap pair of Buffalo brand knockoff "Vise Grips" from the flea market, and I was trying to clamp them down on something and they literally bent like melted butter!!

Irwin Vise grips are the Holy Grail of must-have tools!!

Last edited:
In 1884 Charles IRWIN owned a pharmacy in Martinsville, Ohio. A local blacksmith who was a customer of Mr. IRWIN's came up with the idea for a solid center auger bit. He sold the rights to this invention to Mr. IRWIN and a year later, after patenting the Auger bit, Charles IRWIN, along with four other business partners formed the IRWIN Auger Bit Co.

About four decades later there was another blacksmith with an idea, this one in the small town of DeWitt, Nebraska. William Petersen was a Danish immigrant who invented the first locking pliers in his blacksmith shop, and began selling them from the trunk of his car to farmers and people in surrounding towns. He patented his new idea and called it Vise-Grip.

And Vise Grips HAVE to be the original Irwin Vise Grips. We always kept a pair of Vise Grips clamped to our seat posts back when we were kids in our BMX days, because something would always break or fall off while we were literally miles across town haha!! And they always saved the day!!

I remember my friend had bought a cheap pair of Buffalo brand knockoff "Vise Grips" from the flea market, and I was trying to clamp them down on something and they literally bent like melted butter!!

These are one of my sets, can't remember if they were my dad's or my grandfather's, probably the latter, but I grew up with my dad having a small but well-selected set of SK tools and three difference sizes of Vice-Grip with the different styles of jaws.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_116b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_116a.jpg

And Vise Grips HAVE to be the original Irwin Vise Grips. We always kept a pair of Vise Grips clamped to our seat posts back when we were kids in our BMX days, because something would always break or fall off while we were literally miles across town haha!! And they always saved the day!!

Yes agreed. I have a vintage Craftsman set that the jaws kinda suck on. The original is the way to go.

Why are you buying it again?

Because I could maybe use a better quality "locking pliers" and maybe use it on multiple occasions

And it's not a Vise Grip, per se

Unless.. I really really don't need it? But its such a valuable tool

Because I could maybe use a better quality "locking pliers" and maybe use it on multiple occasions

And it's not a Vise Grip, per se

Unless.. I really really don't need it? But its such a valuable tool
Doesn't sound like you need it now on top of all the other problems you have.

Also that part on Rockauto looks like the A/C idler pulley, it's on closeout which explains the cheap price. The Dayco one cross references to the Infinti part number. OEM list price is $207 and even discounted you're in the $70-$80 range. For a $1k car, I'd spend the $13, not the $70.

Doesn't sound like you need it now on top of all the other problems you have.

Also that part on Rockauto looks like the A/C idler pulley, it's on closeout which explains the cheap price. The Dayco one cross references to the Infinti part number. OEM list price is $207 and even discounted you're in the $70-$80 range. For a $1k car, I'd spend the $13, not the $70.

The tool costs more than the pulley so
UNLESS I can put it to good use, I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back