JT20's running Infiniti J30 condition assessment and maintenance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The visible belt in this picture is one of your accessory drive belts, which are important too, but Norman was referring to the timing belt behind the plastic cover in the top left of your picture. This car has an interference engine, so it's critical for the timing belt to be replaced on schedule.

Odds are it has been done at some point in the car's life, but it may well need to be done again.

Does anyone here agree with me that @JT20 should drive it for a bit before putting ANY money into this thing besides the obvious and cheap?

In other words, I wouldn't spend $800 on this thing if it's going to be junked within the next year or two. I'd replace only what's necessary and change only the fluids I was able to do myself, which for @JT20 should be most, I think.

I don't think he should spend frivolously, and should try to figure out the order in which things need to be assessed/addressed, but $800 isn't going to go far when freshening up a cheap 25+ year old vehicle into a somewhat trustworthy daily driver. He may need to spend that much just to get it to where it can be driven for a bit with some level of confidence/safety.

Yea I was gonna comment on that, the cover looks oxidized like it was replaced from a junkyard. In another post I advised him to run a carfax but the vehicle being as old as it is it may not show. Its very suspect looks like it may be a rebuilt salvage.
Beggars can’t be choosers. OP doesn’t have a ton of money, and needs reliable transportation. I’d agree a carfax might be prudent; even after the fact. Not all rebuilt salvage is horrible. I had a salvage flood title car once. Everything worked and it ran until I sold it.

For the mileage of this Car, and notionally no major issues, hopefully it will work out for OP.

The wheel (steering) is pretty rough. I assume the driver seat has a cover because what's underneath isn't overly pretty? The rest of the seats look to be in reasonably good condition.

Ive seen all kinds of vehicles that have plastic failure, cracking, etc. Not out of the ordinary. I’ve also seen cars with radio buttons worn off. Often these are women’s cars and I think hand creams may be a culprit.

Last edited:
Not a bad looking car for a grand.

Japanese leather IME - Not fantastic.

I usually plan on spending a minimum of 800 bucks on a used car to make it to my satisfaction if its a pretty nice car. Not sure how that works on a 1000.00 car.

Edit: I mean this is the nicest possible way, but: What are you taking pictures with, a flip phone you found under the seat?

LOL! None taken. My phone is 🗑 garbage.

I tell people this: I'd rather buy a car for $1000 than whatever the new iPhone 12 costs etc. Phones cost more than a thousand bucks...

I seem to have a nice little fleet now. And I really could get used to how comfy the Infiniti is. It's really cold outside.. the radio fuse can be switched on a warmer day. I know they are coming.

Does anyone here agree with me that @JT20 should drive it for a bit before putting ANY money into this thing besides the obvious and cheap?

In other words, I wouldn't spend $800 on this thing if it's going to be junked within the next year or two. I'd replace only what's necessary and change only the fluids I was able to do myself, which for @JT20 should be most, I think.

Junked in a year or two is a good run for a minimal cost vehicle. I have my doubts this will be a junker in a year unless there’s hidden severe rust, a HG issue, or a hidden AT issue. This is why I’ve been asking to look into CELs and records. I don’t think we have much reason to think there’s a lot bad with it. Who knows what doesn’t work.... but it’s an old car. Mileage isn’t terrible.

But the car needs to be baselines for service. Tune up and timing belt are good choices. I don’t thing baselining all fluids and filters in the meantime would be the worst thing.

OP, how about ATF color, take a few samples on clean white background via the dipstick, and let’s see it. Also let’s look in the radiator and overflow. Look for oil or anything else.

Not backwards, upside down. There's an extruded edge along what's supposed to be the bottom of the part that goes over the post, it appears to be at the top.

Oh, the connectors.

I haven't touched them. I got the car like this.

One moment please:

20210109_162723.jpg
20210109_162741.jpg
20210109_162919.jpg

why did I buy this car

There are actually a multitude of reasons, but maybe even the most basic of which could be this: If, and let's just say IF the Subaru never runs right again (the guy at the shop keeps insisting it will, FWIW,) then, okay, option: better car.

That alone and in and of itself couldn make this a great buy.. this car,, if running very good,, could be the one.

The purchase price of both those cars combined is less than $2000.

No more cars for awhile. This is it. I want to have fun? I have the 300ZX oops Infiniti J30 now.

There are other reasons, but.. No more cars. Started 2021 off right in that This car could really be a good classic, and, as there are some underlying suspicions of "something must be wrong with it" or something.. well I've only drove it twice or three times so far.. haven’t found it out yet.

The power steering fluid did need to be changed but I do believe after 2 bottles cycled through, turkey baster and waste (rejected, bad label) product from work, that seems to have been rectified today..

Let's see those fluids. One moment. I was napping. It feels colder outside today than other days. Brrr. (Yes, Canada is colder. lol. Many places are colder. But it's still like 20 degrees today.)

Junked in a year or two is a good run for a minimal cost vehicle. I have my doubts this will be a junker in a year unless there’s hidden severe rust, a HG issue, or a hidden AT issue. This is why I’ve been asking to look into CELs and records. I don’t think we have much reason to think there’s a lot bad with it. Who knows what doesn’t work.... but it’s an old car. Mileage isn’t terrible.

But the car needs to be baselines for service. Tune up and timing belt are good choices. I don’t thing baselining all fluids and filters in the meantime would be the worst thing.

OP, how about ATF color, take a few samples on clean white background via the dipstick, and let’s see it. Also let’s look in the radiator and overflow. Look for oil or anything else.

I agree, if something is hidden it's deep and down. OVERKILL is sharp, he sees something suspicious happened with that seat; not like that matters all that much to me as the cushion looks good, but, sharp as a tack and that's awesome.

I don't think this is a flood car....

Let's see those fluids. I'll add them in the next post.

Where's the ATF dipstick on this thing?

Yeah it's cold outside. Staying in tonight..

Radiator cap

20210109_164458.jpg

Under radiator cap. Cold engine

20210109_164532.jpg

Trans fluid

20210109_164728.jpg

20210109_164748.jpg
20210109_164800.jpg

Engine oil

20210109_164911.jpg

I didn't spend a lot of money on the phone so that's what's your seeing.

?

Okay so.. quick recap. No glaring, horrible issues found with the J30 so far; worst of it is the radio probably needs a fuse (will look on a warmer day) and driver seat is ripped badly under a cover. Subaru still up in the air with its trans pan off and still in play. Taurus is Old Faithful.

Now to settle in, watch some TV, and that's about all she wrote for tonight.

Let's get this right *speaking FOR ME all you need to do is tell me what's going on and I can adapt.

Regarding the radio, does it have an anti theft lock that needs to be reset after a battery exchange? A lot of vehicles of this vintage you had to enter a PIN to unlock the radio.

Beggars can’t be choosers. OP doesn’t have a ton of money, and needs reliable transportation. I’d agree a carfax might be prudent; even after the fact. Not all rebuilt salvage is horrible. I had a salvage flood title car once. Everything worked and it ran until I sold it.

For the mileage of this Car, and notionally no major issues, hopefully it will work out for OP.
I agree that beggars cant be choosers BUT they can be smart about purchases with minimal funds. Such an old vehicle with an unknown or questionable history and maitnence is going to get expensive. From what ive read you have very limited mechanical skills and equipment ( Im not dissing you at all so dont be offended we all had to learn). My advice to you is ignore the interior and such concentrate on the mechanical systems, get some tools, and do some research on the common issues that plauge these vehicles and get a Service manual ( you can find them online for free) I would adderess the anti theft light first. Work on the issues first then the cosmetics. I wish you good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back