JT20's running Infiniti J30 condition assessment and maintenance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
20210113_130805.jpg
20210113_130812.jpg

You're saying I should be able to turn the pulley, if I read this right.

A seized compressor sure would snap a belt. BTDT..

Let's go see.

There are three parts:
1. pulley
2. Clutch
3. Compressor

The pulley floats on the compressor drive and the clutch locks it to it when the compressor needs to run. You SHOULD, with a bit of effort, be able to see if the pulley spins freely (it should, the clutch is disengaged with the engine off) and, by getting a grip on the front of the compressor drive, see if you can spin the compressor itself.

I'm still here.

Attempting to remove this plastic piece, which should make it a lot easier to work. It is acting like it has never been removed before.

Using the screwdriver, got half of the very good seal loose...

Taking a break, it's somewhat difficult. Did not use a single drop of spray.

The piece the screwdriver is laying on top of.

Any tips on how to get it off? All three clamps spin freely.

With that piece off, looks like I have clear access to the front of the engine.
20210113_131820.jpg
20210113_131811.jpg

In a previous life, I'd have liberally applied WD40 on these stuck rubber pieces.

Okay Round Two on getting these stuck things to come off. Very good seal...

Okay I tried a slightly different approach and I think I got it.

Now let's see what I can spin.

Here are pic below

Lift up the big plastic Y piece (making sure it is fully unbolted) and concentrate on removing the large inlet hose that comes from the MAF first. Then you should be able to take the smaller hoses off of the throttle bodies and remove the Y and the small hoses as a unit. You'll also need pliers to take off the pinch clamps for the really small hoses that go to the valve covers. Then you're in position to inspect / clean the throttle bodies.

I have double throttle bodies! Just like on a Supra I think..

Here those pics.

Now let me put the camera down and see what I can spin. I assume clockwise....
20210113_132606.jpg
20210113_132643.jpg
20210113_132658.jpg
20210113_132705.jpg

Okay so. I STILL did not get that piece completely OFF and I may tighten it back..

But, all that to say...

I CAN spin the fan clutch. I can spin it easily with one hand. There appears to be a normal amount of resistance, I need to make the motion with my hand to get it to spin, but as I understand it it would not just keep spinning anyway and I do not need to make any hard effort to spin it. (It doesn't spin like a bike wheel up in the air.)

Lift up the big plastic Y piece (making sure it is fully unbolted) and concentrate on removing the large inlet hose that comes from the MAF first. Then you should be able to take the smaller hoses off of the throttle bodies and remove the Y and the small hoses as a unit. You'll also need pliers to take off the pinch clamps for the really small hoses that go to the valve covers. Then you're in position to inspect / clean the throttle bodies.

I got it moved but it still hasn't come apart lol.

I did get to get my arm on the compressor. Which I cannsee I'd NEVER be able to do on a hot engine.

It does spin.

There are three parts:
1. pulley
2. Clutch
3. Compressor

The pulley floats on the compressor drive and the clutch locks it to it when the compressor needs to run. You SHOULD, with a bit of effort, be able to see if the pulley spins freely (it should, the clutch is disengaged with the engine off) and, by getting a grip on the front of the compressor drive, see if you can spin the compressor itself.

It does spin.

I wonder if this is a car where if I jump a relay I could test for the "Click."

A bit of Infiniti weirdness: I see no designated AC button anywhere on the dash or console.

It does spin.

I wonder if this is a car where if I jump a relay I could test for the "Click."

A bit of Infiniti weirdness: I see no designated AC button anywhere on the dash or console.
What spins? The pulley? It should. It's the centre section you are trying to spin, may take a bit of work, that's the compressor drive.

What spins? The pulley? It should. It's the centre section you are trying to spin, may take a bit of work, that's the compressor drive.

Yes, I was able to get my hand down there (still didn't get the intake off but I was able to move it out of the way) and it is absolutely not seized. I know that's the part that electromagnetically "clicks" when commanded to do so.

I spun it to the right, so.. Clockwise. If that matters, I always thought it did.

OK, so if you can spin the compressor drive, that bodes well. What about the idler that @mk378 mentioned?

I have not yet checked that one. I, personally, was happy with:

1. Not spraying a bunch of lubricant trying to un-stick heat-stuck rubber. Car too nice.

2. Having the presence of mind to try to get that thing out of the way.

3. Mostly succeeding in moving that intake piece!

I like the info about RockAuto.

I am presently off to work and I've removed that distraction from work until I get my access back on. Will check back tomorrow!

And the throttle bodies did look clean! :D

Now.. wouldn't an idler pulley have a belt on it? Or should I be able to spin the whole belt

There may be a separate idler or tensioner for the AC belt.

So, if the TB's are clean, you wasted money on that spray ;)

We know you like the car. SLOW DOWN. You are getting excited, and when you get excited, you get scattered. Are you trying to get the car on ramps to look at the belt issue? You should be able to see from the top, no ramps required.

And why are you continuously wasting gas by running it in the garage? The money you are spending on cleaners, fluids and gas could probably pay for the hood struts that you actually need.
Thank you!

OP, quit idling it. It does nothing good for the car.

Don’t buy stuff without recommendation. As @OVERKILL said, slow down!

Can you see the AC compressor? Can you post a picture of it?

RWD goes up ramps just fine. Are the rubber pads on yours present? Might put a brick or something in front if the floor is too smooth.

Okay so. I STILL did not get that piece completely OFF and I may tighten it back..

But, all that to say...

I CAN spin the fan clutch. I can spin it easily with one hand. There appears to be a normal amount of resistance, I need to make the motion with my hand to get it to spin, but as I understand it it would not just keep spinning anyway and I do not need to make any hard effort to spin it. (It doesn't spin like a bike wheel up in the air.)
I don’t think you were asked to spin the fan clutch. Rather the AC clutch on the compressor.

Do you have pics in the TBs (closed and with flap open), or just of the TBs (which doesnt do us much good)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back