JT20's running Infiniti J30 condition assessment and maintenance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JPY32_US_274_1.jpg

RE the AC... Agree with whats been posted need to check it out.

Listen to @mk378

Need to understand how it works... it is not really apparent here but the pulley where the belt rides has a bearing that goes on the compressor shaft. 27633 is the pulley in the diagram. What you see illustrated as a triangle with three flanges attached to a ring is the compressor drive, there will be three large rivets. When the compressor is engaged an electromagnetic coil in the pulley pulls the ring down against the pulley (the flanges are actually flat springs) locking the pulley and drive together and driving the compressor.

WITHOUT the engine running you should be able to turn the pulley (where the belt rides) with reasonable ease and it should not make noise or feel abnormally rough or like it has grit or gravel in it. If that is fine then move onto trying to turn the ring/triangle rivets assembly it should also turn though probably not as easy. Both should turn 360+ degrees, if they will not something is wrong.

If it passes those points then look for any excessive rust or whitish coloring to the pulley/drive hub.

If its good so far then you can get onto the electrics it shouldn't be required to have the engine running to verify engagement of the clutch, setting the system to max defrost and turning the key on should do it for at least momentarily, unless theres something weird with Nissans.

Assuming the belt does not drive something else, I'd likely move this down the list a bit, but as you have time before it can be registered and driven no harm in checking it out.

Speaking of which, I do hope you have a negotiable title on this thing before you spend anymore money.

Yes, that's what I tried to stress early on:
1. Test to see if the pulley (clutch is disengaged) spins freely
2. Test to see if the compressor (not the pulley) spins by turning the drive unit, NOT the pulley

He seemed to indicate he tested both, but things were jumping around so I'm not super confident in the answers I received on that.

I spun one but not the other.

I need to get in there again.

Good evening everyone

JPY32_US_274_1.jpg

RE the AC... Agree with whats been posted need to check it out.

Listen to @mk378

Need to understand how it works... it is not really apparent here but the pulley where the belt rides has a bearing that goes on the compressor shaft. 27633 is the pulley in the diagram. What you see illustrated as a triangle with three flanges attached to a ring is the compressor drive, there will be three large rivets. When the compressor is engaged an electromagnetic coil in the pulley pulls the ring down against the pulley (the flanges are actually flat springs) locking the pulley and drive together and driving the compressor.

WITHOUT the engine running you should be able to turn the pulley (where the belt rides) with reasonable ease and it should not make noise or feel abnormally rough or like it has grit or gravel in it. If that is fine then move onto trying to turn the ring/triangle rivets assembly it should also turn though probably not as easy. Both should turn 360+ degrees, if they will not something is wrong.

If it passes those points then look for any excessive rust or whitish coloring to the pulley/drive hub.

If its good so far then you can get onto the electrics it shouldn't be required to have the engine running to verify engagement of the clutch, setting the system to max defrost and turning the key on should do it for at least momentarily, unless theres something weird with Nissans.

Assuming the belt does not drive something else, I'd likely move this down the list a bit, but as you have time before it can be registered and driven no harm in checking it out.

Speaking of which, I do hope you have a negotiable title on this thing before you spend anymore money.

Of course, man.

Probably going to go ahead and get it at least Titled out of P/O's name...

celicaxx, want it?

^^ I haven't seen anything that would make me bail on it yet.

It's a choice.. is this going to be my "one nice thing?" Or is it "For Sale?"

I know which way I'm leaning.

If the ac doesn’t work, but the rest of the car does, how does that affect your thinking?

If the compressor failed, seized and put shrapnel in the system, it’s no cheap repair... Not saying that’s definite, but something happened obviously.

Does the system have pressure? Is it still r-12 ports or are they 134a adapters?

I'm not suggesting you bail on it, for a grand you're not likely to do any better...

Most 1993 cars were factory(*) 134a though that was the transition year. I see a light blue sticker on the right shock tower that is likely something related to R134a.

* During that time the "factory air" of a Japanese car was a kit that the dealer bolted on after the car was imported. This percentage of value added in the USA allowed a substantial savings on import duty.

Most 1993 cars were factory(*) 134a though that was the transition year. I see a light blue sticker on the right shock tower that is likely something related to R134a.

* During that time the "factory air" of a Japanese car was a kit that the dealer bolted on after the car was imported. This percentage of value added in the USA allowed a substantial savings on import duty.

Yes, this one is 134a. Picked up on that right away

If the ac doesn’t work, but the rest of the car does, how does that affect your thinking?

If the compressor failed, seized and put shrapnel in the system, it’s no cheap repair... Not saying that’s definite, but something happened obviously.

Does the system have pressure? Is it still r-12 ports or are they 134a adapters?

Hi JHZR2.

My affinity to the car is not dependent on whether the AC works/blows cold or not.

I do wonder how that belt snapped if the compressor is okay. As mentioned, I tested a full half of it. I have to also spin the triangle part.

And the idler pulley.

I'm thinking this may be a keeper because if I bought it just to sell it then why did I get it?

I gonna leave for work soon...

My first thought: I don't want to sell that car. (The Infiniti.) Reasons why:

1. It's too rare.
2. It's too... cool.
3. I've been through a LOT in my personal life.. particularly in 2020, but really my 30s as well (we could go back farther than that but.) I feel I "deserve" a nice car. I can appreciate it may have to stay on ice...
4. The model name of the car oddly and coolly coincides with my screen name and may make its way to a custom plate of some kind. "J30" or something like that. This was not planned. ("03J," "J301" "J300ZX" who knows.)
5. I like the color.
6. If I sell it, I'll probably never see a J30 for $1000 again THAT AFAIK doesn't need an engine or trans.......
(7. Having driven it two or three times.. I do like it.
Yes, there have been cars I've driven and not liked, like a Volkswagen Fox or a Dodge Ram. But those are few and far between.)

It's not a Ferrari, but I'm not sure I lie Ferraris anymore. It took a LOT for me to change my avatar.

I'm saying. The reasons... Does the above make sense?

No, it doesn’t make much sense. If you dont have the money or capability to keep up multiple vehicles, then you shouldn’t be keeping multiple vehicles.

Being rare/cool/nice color/etc are all nice things if you can collect cars and keep them up. But cars are a liability. Yes, you need one to get around, but you don’t need multiple that take up space and cost you money, if you don’t have other things in order.

For you, for now, focus on one. Not how cool the color and rarity of one of them is to you. Not, of all things, because you want to waste $ on custom plates. Money that as far as I can see, you don’t hsve. The fees for vanity plates is a gift that keeps on giving.

Sorry, nobody “deserves” anything. That’s a fool’s errand. You may well have had a hard year or years. You may well love the car, and think it’s great. But in the end, you are best off having one good car that you can throw some money at and be ready in case of the worst. Holding on to two cars long term, when $1000 cleans you out, isn’t prudent.

Have you paid the mechanic for the Subaru yet, now that it’s working?

Sorry to be harsh about this, and you don’t need to sell one tomorrow, but cars are liabilities, especially if you have multiple thst you can’t really keep up...

No, it doesn’t make much sense. If you dont have the money or capability to keep up multiple vehicles, then you shouldn’t be keeping multiple vehicles.

Being rare/cool/nice color/etc are all nice things if you can collect cars and keep them up. But cars are a liability. Yes, you need one to get around, but you don’t need multiple that take up space and cost you money, if you don’t have other things in order.

For you, for now, focus on one. Not how cool the color and rarity of one of them is to you. Not, of all things, because you want to waste $ on custom plates. Money that as far as I can see, you don’t hsve. The fees for vanity plates is a gift that keeps on giving.

Sorry, nobody “deserves” anything. That’s a fool’s errand. You may well have had a hard year or years. You may well love the car, and think it’s great. But in the end, you are best off having one good car that you can throw some money at and be ready in case of the worst. Holding on to two cars long term, when $1000 cleans you out, isn’t prudent.

Have you paid the mechanic for the Subaru yet, now that it’s working?

Sorry to be harsh about this, and you don’t need to sell one tomorrow, but cars are liabilities, especially if you have multiple thst you can’t really keep up...

Sorry, but I don't share the same views on the Infiniti.

Let me go see what I can spin a little later. The intake tube is still "stuck" from the heat, it's in there pretty tight, I'm taking my time to get it off or at least out of the way.. any tips and tricks to get heat-stuck plastic un-stuck?

Subaru just gotta pay for it, then its back. Ocmfy cushy recliners don't fit in the back of cars with a hatch that well! It did but, tight fit.

You should be able to spin the compressor drive, yes, but there will be resistance of course, because you are driving the compressor.

It did spin, if it was locked up wouldn't it not turn at all? Off or on ?

It did spin, if it was locked up wouldn't it not turn at all? Off or on ?

Again, as I tried to explain earlier, as have others at this point, there are TWO parts, the centre drive section, which is NOT the pulley, and the pulley. The pulley should spin very freely, you will likely have a hard time getting a grip on the centre section, but it should also be able to be turned.

Again, as I tried to explain earlier, as have others at this point, there are TWO parts, the centre drive section, which is NOT the pulley, and the pulley. The pulley should spin very freely, you will likely have a hard time getting a grip on the centre section, but it should also be able to be turned.

I get that.

After breakfast, I'll endeavor to get the piece either off or out of the way and try it again.

I'll turn them clockwise...

Sorry, but I don't share the same views on the Infiniti.

Let me go see what I can spin a little later. The intake tube is still "stuck" from the heat, it's in there pretty tight, I'm taking my time to get it off or at least out of the way.. any tips and tricks to get heat-stuck plastic un-stuck?

Subaru just gotta pay for it, then its back. Ocmfy cushy recliners don't fit in the back of cars with a hatch that well! It did but, tight fit.

That does nothing to address the points he's made though. Not to be overly curt, but we (myself, @JHZR2, @Quattro Pete , @silverrat ...etc) have been down this path with you several times before and it's like trying to walk a completely untrained 500lb Great Dane with squirrels darting in and out of the path incessantly.

He wasn't asking for you to agree or disagree with him, he's simply stating that you lack the means to operate and maintain two vehicles, and so far you've not presented anything that contradicts that, so, is that accurate? If you needed a $1,500 repair RIGHT NOW on one of the vehicles, could you pay that bill? Based on the fact you are doing the "payment plan" on the Subaru and spent your stimulus money on the Infiniti, I think it's pretty safe to assume the answer to that question is a solid no. That's not a dig, everybody's situation is different, but those giving advice here are trying to be mindful of that situation and preventing you from over-extending yourself. Your spontaneity exasperates the issue because you tend to buy items that are wholly unnecessary while not setting aside money to deal with the more complex stuff.

That does nothing to address the points he's made though. Not to be overly curt, but we (myself, @JHZR2, @Quattro Pete , @silverrat ...etc) have been down this path with you several times before and it's like trying to walk a completely untrained 500lb Great Dane with squirrels darting in and out of the path incessantly.

He wasn't asking for you to agree or disagree with him, he's simply stating that you lack the means to operate and maintain two vehicles, and so far you've not presented anything that contradicts that, so, is that accurate? If you needed a $1,500 repair RIGHT NOW on one of the vehicles, could you pay that bill? Based on the fact you are doing the "payment plan" on the Subaru and spent your stimulus money on the Infiniti, I think it's pretty safe to assume the answer to that question is a solid no. That's not a dig, everybody's situation is different, but those giving advice here are trying to be mindful of that situation and preventing you from over-extending yourself. Your spontaneity exasperates the issue because you tend to buy items that are wholly unnecessary while not setting aside money to deal with the more complex stuff.

Let's start with the AC compressor.

Okay, that was easy. Both the pulley (1) and the piece that engages and has the metal bolted onto it (2) spin freely. Hand effort turns it very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back