Joist mounted pull up bars

figured we’d have some knowledgeable folk hiding somewhere around here…. Looking to build or buy a pull up bar that can be mounted to the floor joists above my unfinished basement. Problem is these modern homes use lightweight wooden I beam style joists. Any suggestions on solutions?

I did find this searching online and it LOOKS ok, not sure if it would be? Not sure I like running any type of fastener through the webbing that close to the edge, though.

Attachments

• 4726D77F-1CF8-43CA-A209-DB3C692E68AF.jpeg
    4726D77F-1CF8-43CA-A209-DB3C692E68AF.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 87D152D8-37A4-444F-A114-6C9EAB87B178.jpeg
    87D152D8-37A4-444F-A114-6C9EAB87B178.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 126
To me, it looks like some additional support is needed. I don't know how heavy you are. The OSB will not offer much strength and the 2x2's on each beam is basically holding your weight ,seems insufficient to me.

Last edited:
If you’re concerned, 2x4s and lag bolts will help to the spread the weight out. I’m 200lbs and this single point connection holds me just fine.

Love pull ups by the way. I consider it a fundamental exercise. Very functional.

Attachments

• C2818604-4A98-4ACD-A66C-AD076FBE842C.jpeg
    C2818604-4A98-4ACD-A66C-AD076FBE842C.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 43
If your confident, go for it. You asked for suggestions and opinions and I offered. Good luck with your program.

My house uses the same I beam joists. I use a floor mounted rack with pull up bar and position it so my head goes between the joists. I think those joists are very strong in compression but not made to withstand the forces that you're putting on them with the pull up bar.

The floor idea is a good one. Another possibility if your framing is open is to run a pair of 2X joists between the engineered joists with bracing. Attach your pull up bar to those.

What you need to do is transfer the load from the bottom of the I to the top I beam. You could use a 1" piece of flat bar stock bent in a U shape to go around the bottom with hole drilled into the top and through bolted on the top I if you can get access. If not you could get away with hanger straps wrapped the same way and nailed into the top. You just need them tight enough to transfer the bulk of the load to a point that is designed to carry down force.
I still would not recommend big impact forces like dropping and stopping but a couple hundred pounds with the load on 2 wraps should be no problem.

samven is correct. Those joist are not engineered for hanging weight off the bottom member. The load has to be transferred to the top member(s) and it is better if distributed over three joists instead of two (below).

Here is one way below that demonstrates the principle. You could achieve the same with plywood attached top to bottom on each side of the joist, then box it in with 2x of appropriate width. Use structural wood screws, not deck screws. As samven mentioned, there are tons of metal Simpson hangers that could be used to transfer the load to the top of the floor joist.
cross-braces-on-i-beam-2015-jpg.544357

Back