Joining the Euro Club

Congrats on the choice and effort to get a manual.

Ditto on the tune a coworker had a GLI and VW voided his warranty. Apparently as he described it, nothing about his tune caused the clutch to fail, it was a common failure and a plastic piece, which is why it was s***** that it wasn't covered under warranty. We've seen the same behavior with other mfg, such as special extended warranty by GM on the steering rack and PS, unless it has a leak. Seems on purpose finding ways to not cover...

Congrats!

I will say, be cautious of the tune. Even Stage 1 is known to make those clutches slip. They're not really meant to handle much over stock. If they have a lower torque stage 1 tune, I'd go with that. Even my MK7 GTI would occasionally slip when I beat on it like a red-headed-step-child.
Yeah it would be the low torque stage 1, or for warranty purposes I'm considering starting out with the Burger piggyback instead.

The 18-19 model years had a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty. I don’t know how many miles on your GLI, but if your under the mileage, take it in and get some stuff fixed if you have any small issues.

NICE! I really like GLIs red stripe and all. A GTI sedan.

I'd tune it tomorrow. Stage 1 will be fine and yes, some have had issues with the clutch but I'd wager most of that is driver vs. mechanical. Stomping the gas at 2K RPM in 6th gear not always so smart./..do

Congrats on the choice and effort to get a manual.

Ditto on the tune a coworker had a GLI and VW voided his warranty. Apparently as he described it, nothing about his tune caused the clutch to fail, it was a common failure and a plastic piece, which is why it was s***** that it wasn't covered under warranty. We've seen the same behavior with other mfg, such as special extended warranty by GM on the steering rack and PS, unless it has a leak. Seems on purpose finding ways to not cover...
If you have a major drivetrain-related failure AND you are tuned, yes, you can potentially impact warranty claims as you would expect. Your warranhty isn't voided. It's an automated process when they hook up the scan tool it will detect the ECU flash (even if flashed back to stock) and a flag will be recorded on the VIN in the VAG system noting that the car has a modified ECU. All warranty claims going forward will be scrutinized w/r to that. I had many small claims approved without issue on my wagon tuned/hardware/etc. b/c they weren't related to the tune.

Contact APR and see if they are willing to sell APR Plus.
For $400 on top of the tune cost it's not a bad deal, it's the 87 low torque file if warranty coverage is important.

The 18-19 model years had a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty. I don’t know how many miles on your GLI, but if your under the mileage, take it in and get some stuff fixed if you have any small issues.
Yes I found that out which is nice...it's a late build 2019 so one of the last to have the longer term. 40k on the clock so I've got a couple of years left...everything now seems good to go minus needing fluid changes for the 40k interval drive line items.

Nice!
I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine replaced the ///M3 badge on his heavily modified E36 with a German 316td emblem. BMW enthusiasts immediately knew what was up but it was a hoot to hear clueless bystanders talk about how they now wanted a 316 since it was so fast and looked so cool. European Car even printed a letter from one poor soul who wanted to know where he could buy a 316- since he had seen one set FTD at a local autocross and no local dealer knew anything about that model...

my first euro a new 2001 wolfsburg jetta 1.8 T after testing a tinny WRX with NO bottom end!! 200 thou great miles, 36 mpg after break in + 150 hp then some mods to 275 HP + only 30 mpg with the quaife $$$ to stop torque steer, now being retired a 2001 audi TT 225Q ROADSTER with about 300 hp + tq that averages 25 mpg, basically a golf with AWD + totally enjoy driving it, both manuals of course. great thing about them is many mods available from various suppliers!! best was NO rust as bodies are fully GANVANIZED wich i noted after hitting a DEER!!! hood crinkled + front end badly damaged BUT no leaks + i drove on to work that saturday for double time $$$$ very well built cars!!

Last edited:
If you have a major drivetrain-related failure AND you are tuned, yes, you can potentially impact warranty claims as you would expect. Your warranhty isn't voided. It's an automated process when they hook up the scan tool it will detect the ECU flash (even if flashed back to stock) and a flag will be recorded on the VIN in the VAG system noting that the car has a modified ECU. All warranty claims going forward will be scrutinized w/r to that. I had many small claims approved without issue on my wagon tuned/hardware/etc. b/c they weren't related to the tune.
They’ve tightened up - almost every warranty claim requires a scan and if there’s a TD1, you’re pretty much out of luck.

Back