Joined the 4Runner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by laserred96gt
No it's not a 4x4, I have no need for it really.
Thanks guys, any maintenance tips and info is appreciated.

Ha! It won't need any, other than routine oil/filters, etc.

Originally Posted by CKN
Welcome to a vehicle with rock hard (front) seats

Some of us like firm seats in a vehicle, firm chairs, firm mattresses... It's called support. Seats and furniture and mattresses don't get harder over time - they get softer. And if they don't start out pretty firm, they'll end up being far too soft after several years. Many American cars and trucks have had that problem over the years. The Japanese stuff has tended not to have that problem as much.

Nothing worse than a seat in a vehicle with poor lumbar support.

Originally Posted by laserred96gt
No it's not a 4x4, I have no need for it really.
Thanks guys, any maintenance tips and info is appreciated.

Grease the drive shaft with moly lithium grease.
A/T drain/fill can be tricky check youtube for your year.
get a small catch can for the oil filter change.
In FL. I'd be looking hard at a 10/30 or 40 PP

Last edited:
Some of the negative reviews that I have read about 4Runners are about the stiff ride and interior design however we found this truck to be comfortable, better than anything we've owned yet.
I understand that there are more comfortable vehicles out there but that is not the reason we purchased it. I tend to keep cars for a long time and legendary reliability and resale value was one of the reasons we went with it, heck I had owned the mustang I traded in for 16 years.

Last edited:
Congrats! If they build them like they did this 1997 4Runner and you do your part you should have no problem driving it for 21 years and more. I got tired of it though and upgraded to a 2019 LX570. Will not sell the 4Runner though.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by GenSan
Congrats! If they build them like they did this 1997 4Runner and you do your part you should have no problem driving it for 21 years and more. I got tired of it though and upgraded to a 2019 LX570. Will not sell the 4Runner though.

Still have my '97 that I bought new, too. It gets driven less than 2k a year at this point. It looks and drives pretty much like it did when new, other than a few touched-up paint chips. It's also considered a unicorn in the 3rd gen world: V6, 4wd, 5-speed, rear diff locker, factory leather, moonroof, premium sound, larger optional brakes, wheels, and tires. Pretty much every time I drive it, some random stranger will ask if it's for sale. Nobody has offered enough yet to convince me to sell.

Congrats on the LX570, we considered one before buying a more on-road oriented SUV, mainly for the wife.

I have 3 4Runners: A 2015 with 79k miles; a 2002 with 192k miles, and a 1997 with 296k miles.... all are still running great and bulletproof.
You have a car that will easily last 20 years if you take care of it. I'm not nearly as anal-retentive about maintenance as some on this site, just the normal stuff and they all run great..
I do 10k changes on the 2015 and 5k changes on the older ones. Enjoy your beautiful Limited!

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Xenons?

My wife had one, rusted out and would lose AT function sometimes. But it was a tough vehicle.

AT function? I'm thinking it's not Automatic Transmission function, but rather something else...?

Oh and congrads to the OP. I like white also, that's the color of my Tundra.

Originally Posted by CKN
Welcome to a vehicle with rock hard (front) seats and (seemingly) a dashboard styled after the 70's.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. As for the seats, I haven't driven a Limited myself, so I can't confirm whether they are more firm than the cloth & Softex seats. Not that that's necessarily a problem . . .

Originally Posted by CKN
A 4Runner on BITOG is almost idolized as much as a Crown Vic........

Maybe there's a reason for that? Two well-built, reliable, proven vehicles right there that prioritize function over form.

Originally Posted by AP9
Originally Posted by CKN
Welcome to a vehicle with rock hard (front) seats and (seemingly) a dashboard styled after the 70's.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. As for the seats, I haven't driven a Limited myself, so I can't confirm whether they are more firm than the cloth & Softex seats. Not that that's necessarily a problem . . .

Originally Posted by CKN
A 4Runner on BITOG is almost idolized as much as a Crown Vic........

Maybe there's a reason for that? Two well-built, reliable, proven vehicles right there that prioritize function over form.

Yea right. There hasn't been a decent vehicle built in the last last 15 years-after the demise of the Crown Vic. Yea-I got it.

I really like 4Runners. Very similar to my Tacoma. Good-looking, rock-solid reliable and very long-lasting vehicles. I can see maybe owning one in the future. But wow, new Toyotas have gotten expensive.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I really like 4Runners. Very similar to my Tacoma. Good-looking, rock-solid reliable and very long-lasting vehicles. I can see maybe owning one in the future. But wow, new Toyotas have gotten expensive.

The one thing I've noticed about 4Runners, is that they really haven't changed that much in price in 20+ years. My 21 year old 4Runner had an MSRP of 34k+. A new '19 SR5 has an MSRP that starts at about 3k more.

Maybe I'll put the old 4Runner on 'Bring a trailer', and see what interest I get.

Congrats on your new 4runner!

I bought a new '18 SR5 Premium 4WD in May '18, Nautical Blue. I traded my 2010 Tacoma in. So far I like the truck. I like the simple rugged approach that omits lane departure, auto braking, and those types of features that I didn't want anyway. It is truck based, so expect it to drive like a truck I have no complaints about the ride quality or the seats.

IMG_0715.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE

The one thing I've noticed about 4Runners, is that they really haven't changed that much in price in 20+ years. My 21 year old 4Runner had an MSRP of 34k+. A new '19 SR5 has an MSRP that starts at about 3k more.

Maybe I'll put the old 4Runner on 'Bring a trailer', and see what interest I get.

Hmm...I guess I've been looking more at the new Tacomas. Mine was 26K when I bought it new in 2007. PreRunner V6, auto, TRD Off-Road, access cab. I don't think you can get the same truck for close to that price anymore.

And, if I remember right, your 4Runner is loaded, right? A new loaded 4Runner is going to be well into the 40s.

It's an SR5, V6, 4wd, manual transmission. It does have some options which raised the MSRP. A loaded Limited back then was getting close to 40k.

The pickups have had a bigger increase in price over the years.

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing a more abusive review of a new vehicle, ever. The 4Runner took it in stride, other than a mudflap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back