Joined the 100K Club Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 Camry SE 2AZ-FE + 5 Speed, bought new, long paid for, ran syn since 25K. Towed a 2000lb van trailer on a few occasions. Tows a utility trailer ever now and then (the replacement for an actual pickup truck), Currently running PP 10W30, and RedLine MT90 in the tranny. Good UOA since dumping the K&N.

Engine does not use any oil with 7.5K OCI, 30+ MPG, clutch seems fine. Body is perfect, window tint has no bubble. Structs seem weaker now but still corners flat (probably no worse than a new LE model), still got 1/6 inch on the brake pads.

I plan on throwing a set of NGK Iridium in the engine and keep on driving. So far I have not been enticed to purchase a replacement.

The only thing I am on the look out for is coolant in the oil. There has been a few reports on the 'net for the head bolts coming loose on the 2AZ-FE. Apparently Toyota use steel bolts for the head, on an aluminum block, with no helicoil. Does not seem to be a wide spread issue consider the number of 2AZ-FEs on the road (Camry, Highlander, RAV4, xB, tC, Corolla, Matrix/Vibe).

I have an 04 Neon that will be there VERY soon!! at 95K and change already!!! Oh and about a 100 miles a day commuting.

Does more than one car count?
grin2.gif

Anyways, congrats!

Originally Posted By: ewetho
I have an 04 Neon that will be there VERY soon!! at 95K and change already!!! Oh and about a 100 miles a day commuting.

I have seen several Neons with twice that amount of miles. I am impressed that Chrysler makes such a durable little 4 cylinder. If I found a nice low mileage, 2000 or newer Neon (again*) I'd buy it in a second.

* I found one last year and bought it for my brother-in law.

All cars use some oil, from 1/4 of an ounce to a 2 quarts per interval. Why do you use such heavy oil in that car? I would switch to 5W20 or 5W30. Also, I wouldn't use it for towing since the transmission may not like that. Actually, the entire body structure will be weaker and you'll end up with a loosen car instead of a tight machine. You should use a truck or SUV for towing and leave the car to driving. Under normal driving, a Camry should yield 400k miles.

Is it a V6 or I4? How often you change the transmission fluid? I heard that Camry cost very little to change timing belt on.

Last edited:
My 92 Camry has 203000, used synthetic until about 150,000 when leaks developed, now using Maxlife has several seepages but only a quart in 1500 - 2000 miles, still runs great, original exhaust, alternator For basic around town transporation it is dirt cheap to operate so why replace it? Have another vehicle for trips etc.

Hopefully Americans are realizing that one does not need to replace a vehicle every 4 years. I understand that the ave life of vehicles on the road now is life 9.5 years and increasing. Mine are 17, 12 and the youngest is 9

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
All cars use some oil, from 1/4 of an ounce to a 2 quarts per interval. Why do you use such heavy oil in that car? I would switch to 5W20 or 5W30. Also, I wouldn't use it for towing since the transmission may not like that. Actually, the entire body structure will be weaker and you'll end up with a loosen car instead of a tight machine. You should use a truck or SUV for towing and leave the car to driving. Under normal driving, a Camry should yield 400k miles.

Is it a V6 or I4? How often you change the transmission fluid? I heard that Camry cost very little to change timing belt on.

What I meant was that I cannot detect the change in the oil level, from the beginning to the end of the OCI. I am sure it consumes some.

As for the choice of 10W30, I did it because I was towing a 2000lb van trailer from Texas to Georgia. The temperature was in the low 100s, the terrain gets kind of hilly in Alabama. I went with the 10W30, as oppose to the 5W30 it had used all its life, for the lower Noack Volatility, (9.7 v. 12.5). I will have the oil analyzed to see how well it held up. A previous 100 mi pull of a similar trailer with 5W30 and 94*F temp returned a decent UOA.

As for using a Camry to tow, my objective is to reduce my fleet. I had given my truck to my sister. I do not want to incur the cost of keeping a daily driver and an utility vehicle. The 2000lb van trailer is probably a once in a blue moon thing. For the most part, I am towing a 400lb flat bed utility trailer, for the occasional trips to the Home Depot for 2 by 4s, plywood, plants, dirt, salt, fertilizer, etc. Things that you need an open bed of a pickup for. I am at the point of trying to consolidate and simplify my life.

I can see towing will wear out the structs and ball joints quicker. But I figure it will be negligible for the frequency I tow. Knowing good and well an unibody sedan is not the ideal tow machine, I however fail to see how it would loosen up the chassis, especially I am doing this well within Toyota's recommendations for this vehicle.

The 2AZFE is a four banger. Being manual there is no fluid to burn out - I am using RedLine MT90 in the gear box. The valve train is chain driven, no belt to mess with.

I do plan on taking this thing to 200K before considering another vehicle. Maybe GM will cook up something efficient and desirable by then (I like the current Malibu). Maybe something with an electric or hybrid drive train.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Spector

Hopefully Americans are realizing that one does not need to replace a vehicle every 4 years.

I like the way you think. At the bare minimum, there is less energy wasted to fabricate the new vehicles, and less waste to the landfills.

Now if we can do away with the idiots on the roads that cause accidents that prematurely scrap vehicles, we will be golden.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back