Johnson Controls SC Battery Recycling Plant broke environmental laws for years

That breaking them is what they pass them for they can fine you. Kinda like a parking ticket. all about the revenue.

People follow incentives and for companies that incentive is financial. When a company can save money by skirting the law there is a higher chance they will do just that. This is the double edge sword with regulations and lobbying in general, but I digress.

On a side note JC is a terrible company and run by a bunch of chimps. The plant in our area is incredibly mismanaged, unsafe, and breaks multiple laws on a daily basis. So, color me not surprised.

The article reports that JC sold the operation to Clarios. How does the responsibility for cleanup/liability work? Is JC still responsible? Or can they transfer responsibility to the new owner?

I recall many years ago, being trained about hazardous material responsibility. At that time, a company had "cradle to grave" responsibility for any hazardous material it generated. But that same company that I used to work for has changed ownership at least four times in the thirty plus years since I have moved on. Have each of these companies assumed responsibility for what is buried out in the land fill, for example?

That article is quite light on evidence or details. All of the mentioned violations sound pretty minor to me. If it was something major, they would be citing all kinds of reports about actual measured contamination.

Sounds like an agenda driven article to me. I bet if you talked to Clarion, you would find out the plant closing would have nothing to do with a few minor violations over the years. "Lead residue" on equipment? So the inspector swabbed a bunch of surfaces in the plant and got some positive results for lead. It doesn't say what the actual level was or what was allowable.

Last edited:
People follow incentives and for companies that incentive is financial. When a company can save money by skirting the law there is a higher chance they will do just that. This is the double edge sword with regulations and lobbying in general, but I digress.

On a side note JC is a terrible company and run by a bunch of chimps. The plant in our area is incredibly mismanaged, unsafe, and breaks multiple laws on a daily basis. So, color me not surprised.
Brookfield bought the battery division of Johnson Controls and re-branded the batteries as Clarios. It that plant still open?

And all that happens is a slap on the hand and then the regulatory bodies look the other way again.

The fines are a cost of doing business. When a plant becomes economically unfeasible, they will divest it from profitable parts of the company through a sham "buyout." The buyer is a shell company specifically set up to go bankrupt. Then the taxpayer is saddled with the cost of decommissioning and cleanup.

Last edited:
Back