John Madden passed away

Very very sad to hear...

I just told another member on here about watching old NFL games on YouTube.

One of the best with Pat and John is the week 12 game 1985 season Chicago Bears vs Atlanta Falcons. ..

After the Bears second field goal the next kickoff John says, " Why does the kicker Butler have rolled up sleeves, sweat bands... And he's chewing tobacco too."

Pat Summerall says, " Well Kevin Butler runs with Mc Mahon and Mc Mahon runs with the offensive line."

And John says, " yeah well he's still just a kicker."

And Pat Summerall says, " well you know he could be a kicker and still be a good guy."

Then John Madden laughs and says, " yeah right". In agreement with Pat.

All of that is with the background of Pat Summerall being a kicker in the NFL for years. That makes that exchange even funnier.

Pat and John are all time greats calling a game.

You know you are listening to great announcers when even if the game is a blowout... The guys calling the game are still making it fun to watch/listen to.

Pat and John did just that. Amazing combination of talent between the two of them.

RIP John Madden.... All time great coach and announcer.

What a gift it was to listen to him and Pat. Thank you Mr. Madden for years of great color commentary. RIP

John Madden was the legendary coach of the Oakland Raiders for 10 years and won Super Bowl 11 by running the ball left behind Gene Upshaw and Art Shell.
I believe he still is the winningest coach by percentage for anyone with 10 years of experience.

RIP Big John. A life well lived.

sports announcers are going DOWNHILL IMO with only a few decent ones left!!

I remember Madden and Summerall calling the Thanksgiving day games between Dallas and Detroit. For many years Dallas and Detroit were the only NFL game on Thanksgiving day and Madden would have a 4, 6, or 8 legged turkey on his bus. He would explain that his turkeys had the extra legs because they were so big and needed the extra support and he would never crack a smile while explaining and Summerall played along as well. The two best football announcers ever!

Very very sad to hear...

I just told another member on here about watching old NFL games on YouTube.

One of the best with Pat and John is the week 12 game 1985 season Chicago Bears vs Atlanta Falcons. ..

After the Bears second field goal the next kickoff John says, " Why does the kicker Butler have rolled up sleeves, sweat bands... And he's chewing tobacco too."

Pat Summerall says, " Well Kevin Butler runs with Mc Mahon and Mc Mahon runs with the offensive line."

And John says, " yeah well he's still just a kicker."

And Pat Summerall says, " well you know he could be a kicker and still be a good guy."

Then John Madden laughs and says, " yeah right". In agreement with Pat.

All of that is with the background of Pat Summerall being a kicker in the NFL for years. That makes that exchange even funnier.

Pat and John are all time greats calling a game.

You know you are listening to great announcers when even if the game is a blowout... The guys calling the game are still making it fun to watch/listen to.

Pat and John did just that. Amazing combination of talent between the two of them.

RIP John Madden.... All time great coach and announcer.

Coach Madden is all over tv and local radio stations. You probably know he is a Northern CA guy; he died in Pleasanton.
Lotta tears aroung here and a lotta laughs. KGO radio has had people who knew him, went to school with him, etc call in with stories.

We watched the Fox Sports "All Madden". I think you will enjoy it.

What a gift it was to listen to him and Pat. Thank you Mr. Madden for years of great color commentary.
I remember watching a lot of games where I didn't like or care about either team just because of them two in the booth.

That xmas special had me in tears a couple times.

Being a Broncos fan I always dreaded when they went to Oakland to play the Raiders, you just knew players were going to end up on the injured list.

Back