John Deere LT150 snow blower

Anyone on here have a JD LT150 (or LT160 to LT190)? I am wanting to mount a snow blower to my tractor and I'm having a heck of a time doing it. Local dealer said they are obsolete but they have a blade for the LT150. I told the dealer I would prefer a snow blower, but dealer said well they are obsolete... Thanks dude I got it the first time!

Anyway the model (M042SBX) is rather rare but I can find other units that look similar. I can appreciate the mounting bolts/pins might be different to the frame brackets and the belt undercarriage is different, but I'm trying to piece this bad boy together. Anyone have any experience with mounting a unit off a different model that works? I have bought the blower mounts for my LT150 so they mount to the frame properly. Anything else to consider?

If you don't want to discuss on here you can message me instead.

Thanks in advance!

Frankly unless you find a used one, the cost of a new one + labour for installation would cost a LOT more than buying a 24-26" walk behind snow blower that would be a lot more maneuverable.

I'll tell you, I have an LT160 and it's great for mowing but I'm not sure how much abuse it would take from plowing snow. The trans in these units is not the most robust when worked hard.

The transmissions on the LT100 series doesn’t hold up well to using a blower or blade. Is it doable, yes. Trying to piece together a different blower and to deal with a mule gear ( model pending)!might be a pain.

I have an X360 (has the heavier transmission) and have a blade with a rubber squeegee edge. Does fantastic. In my experience with our snow falls (in central IA) you’d use a blade more than a blower. If it’s 8”+ that’s when the blower becomes better, imo.

I have a toro 826 that only gets used a few times a year, blade gets used all the time and very quick.

Unless the tractor has 4WD or at least a locking differential, it will most likely suck in the snow. Get a walk behind snow blower. Get chains. Or tracks.
This is false. My 2wd x360 and blade does great with weights and no chains on my longer concrete driveway. The blade is 3 times quicker than using a walk behind blower until 8” of snow. Then it’s blower time. Gravel driveway and all bets are off.

It would be a real shame to piece together something ($$$) only to prematurely kill the tractors transmission.

Is finding a used something with blower an option for you?

This is false. My 2wd x360 and blade does great with weights and no chains on my longer concrete driveway. The blade is 3 times quicker than using a walk behind blower until 8” of snow. Then it’s blower time. Gravel driveway and all bets are off.
Agreed. I have a G110 with 42" blower. The tractor handles very well with rear chains/weights. 25hp will really throw the snow. The only downsides in my opinion to the tractor setup is maneuverability in tighter spaces, and the swapping of attachments can be a pain sometimes as they aren't light.

If I was the OP, I would join a John Deere lawn tractor forum, they are usually pretty helpful at figuring out what attachments will swap between models. The blower for your tractor will usually fit other Deeres, so they can give you a range of models to look for, and what mounting brackets the blower you need will have. I just picked up a snow plow for a friend's LX172. The blade I found on Marketplace was from another Deere model, but it bolted right up with no issues.

Besides that you might be better off finding a used blower like an Ariens or Toro walk behind.

I plowed for 20 yrs with a '95 Craftsman 14 hp tractor. 42'' blade and chains. Same transaxle in my JD LT100. The Dana (i think) 6 speed manual one.
I broke the trans mount straps but never hurt the trans. itself. Would stack a pile 3' high, I abused it. It's still in service just mowing.
Over 6'' and snowblower got it out of the way and used the blade for cleanups. Under 6'' and plow is quicker, 2wd tractor really struggles in anything deeper even with chains and a fatso onboard.
I drilled and tapped a grease fitting into the sealed transaxle, and it gets a few pumps of synth. grease twice a year. Grease in those sealed units dries out over time causing failures. Got that from fellow techs in the Sears mower shop who had mega experience with those units.
Any mounts can be fabbed up, it's the drive for it that can be the challenge.

Anyone on here have a JD LT150 (or LT160 to LT190)? I am wanting to mount a snow blower to my tractor and I'm having a heck of a time doing it. Local dealer said they are obsolete but they have a blade for the LT150. I told the dealer I would prefer a snow blower, but dealer said well they are obsolete... Thanks dude I got it the first time!

Anyway the model (M042SBX) is rather rare but I can find other units that look similar. I can appreciate the mounting bolts/pins might be different to the frame brackets and the belt undercarriage is different, but I'm trying to piece this bad boy together. Anyone have any experience with mounting a unit off a different model that works? I have bought the blower mounts for my LT150 so they mount to the frame properly. Anything else to consider?

If you don't want to discuss on here you can message me instead.

Thanks in advance!
Forgot to mention, check out mytractorforum, a lot of knowledgeable people there.

Well 13.5 hours in the truck yesterday driving from Iowa to Ohio and back to get the proper unit! Mounted and almost ready to go in less than 3 hours. The lift cable was broken and I’m missing a piece for the tensioner. On order at my local dealer. Tire chains will be here the end of the week.

just my $0.02

Attachments

• pic 1.jpeg
    pic 1.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 51
  • pic 2.jpeg
    pic 2.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 48
Well 13.5 hours in the truck yesterday driving from Iowa to Ohio and back to get the proper unit! Mounted and almost ready to go in less than 3 hours. The lift cable was broken and I’m missing a piece for the tensioner. On order at my local dealer. Tire chains will be here the end of the week.

just my $0.02
Nice find! Did you get or have any weights? I personally don't use any chains as they can damage the driveway/patio (that I recently replaced over the last few years). I've found that having weight is more important than chains (depending on your situation). The snowblower is definitely less taxing on the transmission than a blade.

Nice find! Did you get or have any weights? I personally don't use any chains as they can damage the driveway/patio (that I recently replaced over the last few years). I've found that having weight is more important than chains (depending on your situation). The snowblower is definitely less taxing on the transmission than a blade.
I have not embarked on getting weights yet. My hope is with tire chains and my fat a$$ in the seat it will work ok, lol! My neighbor has 2 suitcase weights on his X300 so ~120 lbs and his works good, time will tell with mine.

just my $0.02

I have not embarked on getting weights yet. My hope is with tire chains and my fat a$$ in the seat it will work ok, lol! My neighbor has 2 suitcase weights on his X300 so ~120 lbs and his works good, time will tell with mine.

just my $0.02

I have 2 suitcase weights - they make a ton of difference especially with your blower. The deere lawn are garden suit case weights are 42lbs for the X series, so 84lbs for two weights.

I can't help with the OPs specific model, but the 1992 model year JD GT262 my folks ownwd would throw snow like a beast with just a 17hp Kawasaki single. I used to pull the cutting deck and attach the snow caster yearly for them. Was easy and tool less.

Prior to that they owned a 1971 JD 110 with a snow caster as well. That one was beastly as well, but didn't have the power of the Kawasaki.

I have 2 suitcase weights - they make a ton of difference especially with your blower. The deere lawn are garden suit case weights are 42lbs for the X series, so 84lbs for two weights.

well **** I got that covered for sure then... :ROFLMAO:

just my $0.02

i got stuck even w/the chains (not a manditiry accessory) due to the ice. And THAT was in 4WD (slight hill too). We only use blowers when it's the 50 yr storm (so much sno the plow cant get thru). With a mig and pile of scrap metal any mounting issues are a quick non-problem.

Back