Joe Gibbs DT-40, 2010 Mini Cooper, 9800 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-Turbo Mini Cooper, 1.6l
Joe Gibbs DT-40 (5w-40)
Manne Filter
1 quart Make up oil (1/2 quart at 5500 miles of DT-40, another half quart of Store Brand SN non-synthetic at 9300 miles.)
Miles on oil 9800
Miles on unit 40,000
4.5 quart fill

Blackstone Comments:

This oil did seem to hold up well. Wear metals are nice and low, especially considering the
longer oil run and the spirited driving. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine
after about 7,000 miles on the oil. The TBN was 2.7 showing lots of active additive left. Try 12,000 miles on
the next oil and check back. Nice engine.

ALUMINUM 6
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 27
COPPER 16
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 43
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 1
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 36
SILICON 6
SODIUM 10
CALCIUM 3162
MAGNESIUM 1354
PHOSPHORUS 1002
ZINC 1257
BARIUM 0
MANGANESE 1

TBN- 2.7

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 12.11
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 66.8
Flashpoint in °F 390
Fuel % .5
Antifreeze %0.
Insolubles %.3
Water 0.0

I am pretty hard on this car, lots of driving in the 4500-5500 rpm range on my daily commute. Whoever made this dipstick, should be buried alive. Not only hard to read, but very innaccurate. I drained out between 3 and 3.3 quarts (less the sample, and this is with me adding 1/2 a quart just prior to the oil change, at about 9300 miles), but the dipstick showed that I was in the "safe" zone. I originally filled with 4.5 quarts. When I changed the oil and added 4.5 quarts, it is way past the "full" mark on the dipstick. I figure I'm using about 1 quart every 5000 miles. Never did an oil pressure light come on, nor did I hear funny sounds, but I think being nearly 1.5 quarts down from the full capacity, yet showing halfway into the safe zone is asking for trouble. Very poor design. I refilled with more DT-40, and will make sure I check the level more often, keeping it near full, and probably running it out to 15k. Good thing I didn't get the turbo version, I'd be in all kinds of trouble, this thing is a blast to drive.

Last edited:
Why not mark the dipstick at the level it was when you did the 4.5 quart fill? Take the dipstick to your Mini dealer and see if there is another one that has the correct markings.

Must be the same guy who designed the Chevy Cruze 1.4L dipstick.
wink.gif

And +10 for A_Harman's suggestion. Mark that stick!!

Gary

Isn't this the oil that was touted as not shearing like a certain "major brand name synthetic" in Porsche applications?

Looks like that isn't the case at all.

UOA looks good though
thumbsup2.gif

The MSDS states a viscosity of 13 cSt. With the half quart of the non-synthetic make-up oil, some fuel, long OCI, and the unavoidable discrepancies between different labs' results (even when testing the same sample), I don't think this UOA's viscosity cannot tell us how shear stable this oil is with much precision. It appears to have a chance at being quite shear stable.

This oil has a lot of metallic additives in it. I wonder what it's sulfated ash test result would be. I'm guessing 1.3% or more. It appears to be well suited for long drains, particularly with the huge dose of detergents and high dose of ZDDP in it.

Originally Posted By: JAG
The MSDS states a viscosity of 13 cSt. With the half quart of the non-synthetic make-up oil, some fuel, long OCI, and the unavoidable discrepancies between different labs' results (even when testing the same sample), I don't think this UOA's viscosity cannot tell us how shear stable this oil is with much precision. It appears to have a chance at being quite shear stable.

This oil has a lot of metallic additives in it. I wonder what it's sulfated ash test result would be. I'm guessing 1.3% or more. It appears to be well suited for long drains, particularly with the huge dose of detergents and high dose of ZDDP in it.

I thought it did pretty well in holding its viscosity considering the oil level was running more than a quart low.

I agree, A_Harman. What I wrote is a bit of a mess and I can see how my meaning can easily be misunderstood. One point I meant is that this UOA cannot disprove that this oil is extremely shear stable. I suspect that it is extremely shear stable since I think this is the oil that you once said has a very low calculated temporary shear index. Am I right?

I agree, A_Harman. What I wrote is a bit of a mess and I can see how my meaning can easily be misunderstood. One point I meant is that this UOA cannot disprove that this oil is extremely shear stable. I suspect that it is extremely shear stable since I think this is the oil that you once said has a very low calculated temporary shear index. Am I right?

This would be that oil. There was a paper posted about it.

My point (which was meant to be taken as a bit tongue-in-cheek) was that the UOA indicates (or doesn't and that knife cuts both ways) that the ending viscosity is similar to that of M1 0w-40 after being in service for a similar duration. Which was the oil targeted in the paper, that's all
smile.gif

So much hoopla has been made (and based on UOA's just like this one) about M1 0w-40 ending up a heavy 30 and showing as much sheer as Madonna's wardrobe that I found it amusing that this oil also ended up in the same range, LOL
grin.gif

I calculated the temporary shear index for Joe Gibbs LS30, and got 97%, which is even better than the reformulated RedLine oils. I don't think I have calculated it for DT40.

Some engines are more variable in the dipstick readings in others. The oil takes longer to drain down into the pan after shutdown or is very sensitive to the how level the car is. Also the European car tickmarks are often liter vs quart based.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back