Joe Gibbs Break in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to fire up my newest turbo LT1 motor here in a couple weeks. Anyone have any experience with Joe Gibbs break in oil? I realize I can accomplish the same thing with some dino and a little Redline break in additive or Rotella though I would rather not run such a thick oil in my motor as my titan oil pump is set for a 5w-30 at present. Thanks!

Wasn't Joe Gibbs the head coach for the Redskins years ago? Wait...guess there was 2 of them...
33.gif

Last edited:
He was. He now is now a NASCAR owner and has his own line of engine oils and other lubes. J.D. Gibbs, his son, now is the president of the company and oversees daily operations. Looks like a lot of engine builders are using his break in oil. I plan to break this motor in with Dino high in ZDDP(possibly the Gibbs BR oil) and then transition to Redline 5w-30 or 40wt not sure yet.

Last edited:
Go to your local GM dealer and get some engine assembly lubricant (small can) mix it up with a quart of 10w30 pennzoil dino motor oil and put it in your engine and run it with 10w30 pennzoil dino for 500-1000 miles and then drain it out. If you are set up for 5w30 then use that instead of 10w30. If you don't want to use that then use Brad Penn break in oil.

Last edited:
I've been reading to the contrary -- that modern engines are built so much more precisely and with such tight tolerances that the concept of a "break-in" is a thing of the past. Modern motors are broken-in right out of the factory.

Doesn't mean you can go beat the [censored] out of a brand new car, but the whole "break-in oil" thing isn't really as necessary as it once was. I'd run regular oil through for a little while (1000 mi) and then just change it.

I'm with dparm on this one

the millions upon millions of cars that come from the factory don't use special stuff, and are ready to go with probably a much longer service life then any engine most race rebuilders make. Also I hear lots of people saying you can't put synthetic in a new engine.... funny cause A LOT of cars, if not most, come from the factory with synthetic.

use a good, proper weight oil, and don't do anything stupid right away.......

Most modern street cars - the vast majority - do not need supplemental break in additives.
But in some cases, it is very smart to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back