Job sites and previous employers

~6 months ago I applied at a job, but needed to create an Indeed account to do so. I ended up accepting an identical position at another employer, their competition, 2 weeks later.

Fast forward to now, my Indeed account still exists and I received an email wanting me to rate my previous employer. How did they find this out?

My previous job and what I have now are 2 different fields entirely. Say I didn’t get a new job, that would have been awkward for my previous employer to somehow find out I was looking for a new job. *I have no need for the account now and should just delete it.

Maybe they just send that email to anyone who applies for a job through Indeed. How would your previous employer find out that Indeed had sent you an email?
The email had my previous employers name in it.

I’m asking how indeed found out where I used to work.

Did you list your employer when setting up the Indeed account? Just guessing here...I don’t have an account.

I get that you didn’t list your former employer when setting up the account but I assume you listed them on the resume you either attached or created on their site, no?

Also, I can tell you that Indeed uses many, many search criteria algorithms for employers to use.

I use Indeed to find employees and there are a few things I would like to change in the candidate rating system. Like letting potential future employers know about applicants that waste your time. I've had applicants that are totally gung ho wanting to get a job with you that never show up for the interview.

BTW if you put your resume up on Indeed, chances are if your present employer is looking for someone on Indeed you might just pop up on their dash board as a potential hire.

Last edited:
I get that you didn’t list your former employer when setting up the account but I assume you listed them on the resume you either attached or created on their site, no?

Also, I can tell you that Indeed uses many, many search criteria algorithms for employers to use.
I did, but there was an option to make my resume private. Either way, I guess indeed has a way of finding out. It doesn’t necessarily mean management there found out either.

Are you on linked in or other website where you name and previous company are listed. Facebook counts too.

Credit bureau?

Back