Job Retraining May Fall Short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
an "optimum" level of unemployment

You have spoken of this multiple times. Can you provide something that you are referencing?

It's blindingly obvious that the unemployment rate is controlled to less than full employment, surely you can see that.

Anyway, Google is your friend.

Quote:
During the 1996-1997 period, the unemployment rate has gradually declined and recently been running at levels below what economists believe to be the "natural rate" or NARU (the non-accelerating rate of inflation unememployment rate), that rate at which sustained unemployment can exist without leading to higher wage and price inflation. Unemployment rates below the natural rate (and economic growth above the 'natural' growth rate) cannot be sustained for too long: they would eventually cause higher inflation and lead the Federal Reserve to increase the Fed Funds rate in order to slow growth and prevent a pickup in inflation. Traditionally, the "natural rate" has been estimated to be at 5.5%. As the unmployment rate has been below 5% since the beginnning of 1997, some investors and economists believe that the natural rate might be now lower than 5% because of structural changes in labor market and the economy (the so-called "new economy"); other are instead concerned that we are now below the NAIRU and that wage and price inflation is bound to increase. See the home pages on NAIRU and productivity growth controversies for more on this debate.

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~nroubini/bci/Unemploymentrate.htm

Originally Posted By: Julian
My God, I've forgotten something!
grin2.gif
What about the ones who don't have to work (so to speak), and the ones who couldn't or shouldn't work anyway (children perhaps in some contexts). What about the ones who can't work the kind of work they want to work?

Sure. If you want to eliminate all social "norms" ..then go for it. I think Oliver is some people's idea of a grand future
grin2.gif

MORE???? MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I don't want people unemployed unless they have to be, in case you just thought I was some mean old man or something.

Oh ..heaven forbid the notion, Julian.

People just have to get a grip on UL. You can't have a left without a right ..etc..etc.

If you're going to pull out some rugs (some surely need to be pulled) ..be prepared for the necessary consequences to things that are not mentioned.

People like to regard things that they like ..features if you will, as being constants ..as in "I have it = MINE". They tend to view things that they don't like as being untidy things to be cleansed and purged. What they're either totally clueless about ..or IGNORE(ant) about is that the whole landscape is integrated. You can't compress one part of the bladder without another part becoming distended ....etc...etc.

To deny this integrated relationship (with some minor qualifications) is just naive or disingenuous.

So any alleged preferred path tends to fall into "exchanges" of problems ...not solutions to them.

Universal Law cannot be denied. Try as you might, my good little mice. The maze has only one in:eek:ut. You can formulate all your grand schemes to your hearts content.
grin2.gif

If you say so. Symmetry and chirality are not the same thing though. You mean you don't like asymmetry? You can't always make things symmetrical by pruning them. Pulling weeds, or mushrooms as it were (in reference to a quote from one of my favorite writers).

Symmetry ...asymmetry ...it doesn't matter. You still end up with a shape of some kind. You can morph it however you want. You've still got the same components. Unless you're going to fix one boundary or another, it's going to still be made up of whatever it was before you started modeling your clay. You can homogenize ..fraction off the upper strata vapors ...

You still get a balanced equation no matter how you mix it up.

As far as weed pulling and whatnot, in terms of a society its always the disposal process that seems to be absent.

I keep saying it would be easier to just shoot them. What we may get is the Soylent Green solution. Just make life so totally miserable that you choose the euthanasia Hemlock method of coping with the uselessness of your existence.

..or can we breed and foster better citizens that won't warrant kicking to the curb?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Symmetry ...asymmetry ...it doesn't matter. You still end up with a shape of some kind. You can morph it however you want. You've still got the same components. Unless you're going to fix one boundary or another, it's going to still be made up of whatever it was before you started modeling your clay.
In studies they've done, people tend to favor symmetrical faces over non-symmetrical ones. It's a good thing we can't see inside our own heads!
56.gif
grin2.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralization_of_brain_function

Last edited:
Never tried it.

I'm glad that my Mum didn't when offered.

But apparently the "handedness" of the molecule gives either stellar results, or the chance of birth defects.

Symmetry ...asymmetry ...it doesn't matter. You still end up with a shape of some kind. You can morph it however you want. You've still got the same components. Unless you're going to fix one boundary or another, it's going to still be made up of whatever it was before you started modeling your clay.
In studies they've done, people tend to favor symmetrical faces over non-symmetrical ones. It's a good thing we can't see inside our own heads!
56.gif
grin2.gif

I have a secret to tell hue ...I AM left handed!! -parphrased from The Spaniard Swordsman

56.gif
grin2.gif

I have a secret to tell hue ...I AM left handed!! -parphrased from The Spaniard Swordsman
I use both, but you already knew that.
grin2.gif

(as said by a female friend of mine when I told an off color joke in mixed company - while it would have been fine if there was no company to view her reaction)

I don't know what you mean
54.gif

LOL.gif
45.gif

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Why would anyone ever want to live in a land where everyone has to work all the time?

Oh ...some people just like to view the rest of humanity as some bee hive or ant colony. Depending on the level of humanity in their "illness" ..they can either be Dr. Raymond Cocteau ..complain about how "scraps" litter up his tidy society..

Demolition_VB.jpg

or ..perhaps a more commerce oriented view

BR_Tyrell_Indulge_Me.jpg

"Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell; more human than human is our motto!"

efny5.png

I'm A#1, mofo...

There's a recurring theme to all three depictions.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Why would anyone ever want to live in a land where everyone has to work all the time?
You need to spend more time in the forest. It's very beautiful (the one I frequent is anyway). Headed out that way today as a matter of fact. You're not going to be in my area by any chance are you?

It's easy to control unemployment. You grant alien visas during surplus labor demands. You revoke them when that demand recedes. Naturally you actually have to WANT to retain your standard of living for YOUR NATION and not just for those who broker it.

No, the problem of those who can't get a job is not because they don't want to (you'd be surprised how many wanted to work but couldn't get hired), but because they aren't suitable for employment because they are actually counter productive to the work force, yet the work they do is simple enough that has already been automated.

You can train them and give them enough support to do what they can marginally do well, at a high expense. That's what happen to our workforce in the public sector. No offense to many of our public service employee, but somehow our government end up being the nation's biggest work study, internship, co-op program.

With more automation and out-sourcing of the lower level work, I think it is going to get worse with or without illegal Aliens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back