Job Interview - 6 hours away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just flown recently to our Chicago office for the final interview of the job I have now. They did a phone interview first.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd drive, but...

If they insist on an in-person interview they should really be the ones flying you out.

Exactly. When I changed jobs in 82, the company paid for flight, hotel, meals, etc., and then paid to move me from Delaware to Texas.

As others said earlier, it depends on the job. Some jobs are eligible for relocation expenses and some aren't. Just depends on what the company is willing to do.

It's also about negotiation and what the company is willing to do. I remember one guy that got hired that was in the National Guard. The company normally only gave 3 weeks vacation for new hires, but because he had to spend 2 weeks in the National Guard, he was actually able to negotiate getting that 2 weeks covered and get his 3 weeks on top of that.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Where is this new prospective job located. Six hours east?.... south-east? - north???????

Six hours due East in Nevada, I drive across California from edge to edge. It’s an engineer position in the entertainment industry.

I’ve had expenses paid for other interviews with large companies, this company is relatively small. I think the HR person isn’t thinking about the fact that I’m out of the area when scheduling the interview.

Good Luck
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm sure they are looking at this from the perspective that if you're willing to drive 6 hours one way just for the interview, you really want the job. That alone will give you a lot of "brownie points", for just showing up with a smile and a handshake.

If you call them up and start asking for them to pay expenses to simply talk to you, forget it.

While it might clearly show how interested you are in the job, as a hiring manager, I also see that as desperate, and may lower my initial salary offer, as you are a "sure thing".

Best of luck with the opportunity!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back