Jiffy Lube Synthetic Oil Change - $109.99!

Nearby Jiffy Lube:

$109.99 for 5-quarts of full synthetic (PP at most locations)

Each additional quart is $12.

I recognize that most BITOGers change their own oil and chase sales to save a few dollars on the cost of oil.

This pricing at Jiffy Lube illustrates that we are already saving a significant amount of money by DIYing, regardless of which oil we use. In other words, don't lose too much sleep if you missed a Walmart oil clearance. ;)

Nearby Jiffy Lube:

I recognize that most BITOGers change their own oil and chase sales to save a few dollars on the cost of oil.

This pricing at Jiffy Lube illustrates that we are already saving a significant amount of money by DIYing, regardless of which oil we use. In other words, don't lose too much sleep if you missed a Walmart oil clearance. ;)

We have a local.Toyota Dealer that gets $35 for 0W-20 or 5W30 and he only does Synthetic Oil Changes. I think 0W-16 is a $1 a qt upcharge but it's bottled oil. That sounds like a ripoff to me.

Most dealers and some other shops use oil changes as a loss leader for other work, to get under the hood and find anything else wrong so they can make money :unsure:

Jiffy Lube can't do this as much. Though they do offer air filters and other things for profit-adders, they don't do a lot of the big ticket items that full-service shops and dealers do.

When I was in college I would pay a Jiffy Lube $20 cash to do an oil change with my supplied oil for my Sti.
$109 for PP is RIDICULOUS. At most they have 8 under tray fasteners and a drain plug.
I can siphon my Gti and replace the filter without ever even bending over.

When I was in college I would pay a Jiffy Lube $20 cash to do an oil change with my supplied oil for my Sti.
$109 for PP is RIDICULOUS. At most they have 8 under tray fasteners and a drain plug.
I can siphon my Gti and replace the filter without ever even bending over.

The Quick Lane at the local Ford still gets $20. Buddy's son takes M1 ESP amd a Filter by and has them change his Jetta TDI.

Nearby Jiffy Lube:

I remember my friend went there a few years ago when it was like $90.00 for the PP oil change.

We have a local.Toyota Dealer that gets $35 for 0W-20 or 5W30 and he only does Synthetic Oil Changes. I think 0W-16 is a $1 a qt upcharge but it's bottled oil. That sounds like a ripoff to me.

$35 for a oil change is a loss leader. They are not making money on that at all.

A year ago I paid $130 for a oil change at the dealership. That included a tire rotation.

$100+ for oil changes done is the new normal. You can do it yourself for less of course but some are not able to do that.

$35 for a oil change is a loss leader. They are not making money on that at all.

A year ago I paid $130 for a oil change at the dealership. That included a tire rotation.

$100+ for oil changes done is the new normal. You can do it yourself for less of course but some are not able to do that.

One local place gets $29.99-39.99 (always a $10 Coupon on the website) for a standard 5 qt oil change and $89.99-99.99 for synthetic. Same labor and same jobber filter and the difference between standard Valvoline and synthetic is $12 a quart?

What's the going rate in the SLC area?
The Valvoline charges $79.00 for six quarts of synthetic and a slight surcharge for the filter element that goes in the cartridge of my wife's 3.3 Santa Fe. The dealer is actually cheaper but requires an across town trip.

I have no doubt that if I took my Silverado in to Jiffy lube (there is a location just right up the street) with it's 8 quart requirement and spec'ed their best synthetic it would be at least $110.00.

Last edited:
The Toyota dealer is doing it at a slight loss or breaking even, mechanics/dealers do cheap oil changes only as a way to get people in the door to do inspections and get the opportunity to sell other services, Walmart only does them so cheap so you'll walk around and buy other products while you're there, something like $70-100 is probably a fair retail price to charge for a full synthetic oil change.

And here I am giving full synthetic oil changes for $20 (Mobil Super Syn, but still). That's also including a NAPA Gold/Wix. I really need to consider raising it even though I despise the thought. It's not sustainable anymore. I'm not losing money, but I can't resupply at those numbers unless we have another Hurricane Walmart. Most synthetics are $25. Even my highest tier (M1EP) is $30. Guess I need to get with the times...

Back