Jiffy Lube - Mighty TecSelec T4612 - cut open with background

Brother went to Jiffy Lube because he was in a hurry and getting ready to go on a trip. Right before the trip, he noticed drops on his driveway, but was in a hurry, thought it was A/C condensation and went on his way. His wife called about two hours into the trip and said it was oil on the driveway, he pulled over and immediately upon pulling over, the oil light came on.

I went to where he was at, checked the oil and nothing registered on the dipstick.

On the side of the road, I noted the filter had oil on the side of it and both the filter and drain plug spun freely in my hand. I changed out the filter with a Honda A02, added 4.5 quarts of Napa 0W20 synthetic oil, snugged up the drain plug and nervously started it up -- it sounded fine. He took it to a Honda dealership and they said they didn't hear/note any issues and could provide an extended warranty -- which it sounds like Jiffy Lube will pay for.

I cut apart the filter and thought I would share to see if anyone notes any concerns.

From the initial look, I think he dodged a bullet.

BTW: Vehicle was 2015 Honda Accord 4cyl

20200711_094252.jpg

20200711_094628.jpg

20200711_094659.jpg

20200711_094727.jpg

20200711_094736.jpg

Last edited:
I hope that Mighty is not made in USA. As long as the oil was still above the pickup tube it should be fine. Some people would have kept on going feeling the decision to stop with the oil light on is still something to ponder. A little more oil on the Colorado roads.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
I hope that Mighty is not made in USA. As long as the oil was still above the pickup tube it should be fine. Some people would have kept on going feeling the decision to stop with the oil light on is still something to ponder. A little more oil on the Colorado roads.

True, quite a puddle.

I hadn't checked, but made in Mexico.

20200711_104927.jpg

But...But... It says "USA Brand" on it!
15.gif

THIS is always my mortal fear when anybody does an oil change on something (even my junk company Transit 250)-I'm checking for leaks & oil level continuously for at least the next week to make sure they didn't "funk" it up!!

What else can you expect from a franchise that has been involved with customer complains in numerous states. This franchise knows how to play the rip the customer off and still survive to cheat another day.

Well stop and think about for a second just how many people are there that go to Jiffy Lube then the next time they change oil and happen to cut the filter to inspect it? I'm thinking 1 in 100,000 tops. Why do you think most people go there? They just don't have a interest in this.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well stop and think about for a second just how many people are there that go to Jiffy Lube then the next time they change oil and happen to cut the filter to inspect it? I'm thinking 1 in 100,000 tops. Why do you think most people go there? They just don't have a interest in this.

This^^^

And remember, anyone here may have a similarly, poorly constructed filter (from any brand) on their vehicle right now... You won't know until after you remove it and cut it open though !

The the root problem however was that the oil filter and the drain plug weren't tightened properly at the shop? Not that there was something actually defective about that filter?

Not that it looks great what with the glue and all, but what actually was defective about the filter that caused the leak? Everybody's roasting this filter but from what I read in your post the plug and filter were loose. I remember those Mobil 1 filters posted a while back with the excess glue, those were worse looking than this one.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The the root problem however was that the oil filter and the drain plug weren't tightened properly at the shop? Not that there was something actually defective about that filter?

Not that it looks great what with the glue and all, but what actually was defective about the filter that caused the leak? Everybody's roasting this filter but from what I read in your post the plug and filter were loose. I remember those Mobil 1 filters posted a while back with the excess glue, those were worse looking than this one.

When he called me, I kind of figured a) the drain plug was no longer on the vehicle and/or b) double gasket on the oil filter. Neither was true.

The filter was very loose and leaking at the base and the drain plug wasn't leaking, but was hand tight. The filter itself, albeit with lots of glue (there was more glue on the other side) was fine.

The oil had leaked out from the filter over the 2 hour drive, but luckily, it seems the engine is fine.

Back