Jiffy Lube admits pouring used oil down the drain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiffy Lubes owner admits putting oil down the drain
By Steven Kreytak

A company that owns 31 Jiffy Lube automotive shops in the Austin area pleaded guilty in a Travis County courtroom today to violations of the Texas Water Code and was ordered to pay a $300,000 fine.
Employees at the Heartland-owned Jiffy Lube at 8509 Burnet Road illegally discharged oil and wastewater into the city’s sewer system “with the knowledge of regional and district managers,” according to the release.
Heartland Automotive Services, Inc. is the country’s largest Jiffy Lube franchisee with about 400 of the oil-change shops in 15 major metropolitan areas, according to the corporation’s Web site.

---

The rest of the article can be found here.

I'm having a hard time believing that even the worst JL franchise would even consider doing something like this.

spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I thought used oil actually worth something.

Used oil is pretty worthless. Actually, it costs money to dispose of it so it's less than worthless. They probably did this to save on the disposal fee

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT

I'm having a hard time believing that even the worst JL franchise would even consider doing something like this.

I'm having a hard time believing that you are having a hard time believing a JL franchise would consider doing that.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: IntegraVT

I'm having a hard time believing that you are having a hard time believing a JL franchise would consider doing that.

Please, ANYONE who needs an oil change, come to Cincinnati. I'll do it for free (you pay parts/oil). And I'll recycle it.

Auto repair/lube facilities burn used oil in their oil-burning heaters to heat their buildings. Sounds like a pretty valuable product to me.

Originally Posted By: ocrstar
Auto repair/lube facilities burn used oil in their oil-burning heaters to heat their buildings. Sounds like a pretty valuable product to me.

My buddy mixes it with diesel and runs it in his old 6.2L. I've been saving my used oil for him.

They probably did this to save on the disposal fee

Exactly! Plus alot of people think that recycling means reusing but in the case of oil and some plastics..there burned for heat.

AutoZone also got in trouble a few years back for doing the same thing.

Whats worse...

used oil dumped in the sewer system or oil dumped on the ground ?
21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: dennisl59
I recommend since these Criminals and Enemies of the State have damaged Mother Earth, that they should all be hanged in public with their families as witnesses and then burn all the Jiffy Lubes and other Oil Change Stores to the ground and install solar panels and windmills on the empty lots.

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
frown.gif

Quote:
I've often wondered about doing that. Used oil contains a high concentration of PCB's, thats the reason they say you should wear gloves when changing oil, and to recycle it. If you burn used oil, don't the PCB's just go into the atmosphere?
21.gif
I think it does get cold in Texas too, in the winter.
I did enjoy reading the comments under the original article. A bad offense but hanging seems somewhat harsh.
LOL.gif
Then again, it is Texas.
27.gif

^You could be right, I know it contains one of those P's. lol Anyway, obviously it's toxic, and the question is the same about burning it. Doesn't it just go into the atmosphere? I don't know. Just seems like logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back