JGR Driven LS-30 (5W-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May try this after my next few oil changes, wanted to get a baseline first.

Screenshot_20190726-204546_Cut Paste Photos.jpg

A rerun might not hurt. 1000 ppm is what Joe Gibbs calls a high zinc oil? The moly may be synergistic at that level, but I'm not convinced of the value versus price for this product.

Keep in mind that there are different types of ZDDP with some being more reactive than others. The trinuclear MoDTC is synergistic.

That's a good amount of the EP additive Boron. Most HiMi formulas supposedly designed to combat wear, that use Boron, tend to be in the 40~80ppm area with a handful in the 100+ppm realm.

Last edited:
Boron comes in various forms with different functions. In the one form it is used to cap the dispersants to make the dispersants more friendly to seal materials. In other forms (ex. Boron nitride) it is for friction reduction, antiwear, and extreme pressure lubrication. When seeing boron in UOAs and VOAs, we don't know what forms are used.

The low amount of calcium and magnesium in this VOA jives with the low TBN. The chance of a bad test result is lessened, given that agreement, but I'd still ask for a retest.

Originally Posted by JAG
Boron comes in various forms with different functions. In the one form it is used to cap the dispersants to make the dispersants more friendly to seal materials. In other forms (ex. Boron nitride) it is for friction reduction, antiwear, and extreme pressure lubrication. When seeing boron in UOAs and VOAs, we don't know what forms are used.

The low amount of calcium and magnesium in this VOA jives with the low TBN. The chance of a bad test result is lessened, given that agreement, but I'd still ask for a retest.

Boron also has TBN retaining properties because of it's alkili chemistry.

I think the only thing we learned from this is Blackstone needs to recalibrate their machines. This is why I use Polaris labs.

Originally Posted by Garak
I learned that JG is probably overpriced. I knew that already, though.

That's about an $80 oil change for me...yeah, I'll pass. But then again I'm probably not their target customer. I'm more your Chevron Supreme/QS kinda guy...

Last edited:
I learned that JG is probably overpriced. I knew that already, though.

People run Red Line which is even more expensive.

Here's another VOA of LS30 taken just last year. My recollection of the calcium content was off. Blackstone is showing ~25% down across the board. I call that a calibration issue on Blackstone's part which is a pretty common problem with them.

Side note... the oxidation of this VOA is 41 abs/cm with a KV100 = 11.93 cSt and KV40 = 67.47.

Driven LS30 VOA.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting info for sure on the TBN, I will contact them in the AM regarding this and my other samples.

Here's a pic of the label of the bottle I had tested.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
That's about an $80 oil change for me...yeah, I'll pass. But then again I'm probably not their target customer. I'm more your Chevron Supreme/QS kinda guy...

I have no problem with boutiques, if they actually offer something, though it's far from my typical choice. There are plenty enough oils on the shelf at ordinary prices. Besides, we pay enough up here without pushing the issue.
wink.gif

RDY4WAR: That may be true, but at least when Red Line talks about higher levels of AW compounds, they're actually there. Of course, there always is the possibility you noted about an inaccurate VOA.

buster: This shouldn't be the GDI product, unless their bottling or labeling is wrong.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I have no problem with boutiques, if they actually offer something, though it's far from my typical choice. There are plenty enough oils on the shelf at ordinary prices. Besides, we pay enough up here without pushing the issue.
wink.gif

RDY4WAR: That may be true, but at least when Red Line talks about higher levels of AW compounds, they're actually there. Of course, there always is the possibility you noted about an inaccurate VOA.

buster: This shouldn't be the GDI product, unless their bottling or labeling is wrong.

Red Line uses ZDDP with blended primary and secondary alkyl groups. Driven LS30 is all secondary. I've had repeated results of that oil at 1300+ ppm Zn. Blackstone is the abnormal one.

LS30 is a group IV PAO base oil with ~10% mPAO and ~8% POE. HTHS150 = 3.5 cP and NOACK = 6%. I run this oil at 10,000 mile intervals in my GM 5.3L.

LS30 is a group IV PAO base oil with ~10% mPAO and ~8% POE. HTHS150 = 3.5 cP and NOACK = 6%. I run this oil at 10,000 mile intervals in my GM 5.3L.

Nice.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Red Line uses ZDDP with blended primary and secondary alkyl groups. Driven LS30 is all secondary. I've had repeated results of that oil at 1300+ ppm Zn. Blackstone is the abnormal one.

That is good to know if this VOA is inaccurate.

I spoke with Blackstone today and they looked over all the samples and said they would get back to me soon. They said the samples could have been mislabeled and the LS-30 could be the Mobil 1 home brew. Calcium numbers would be about double but the zinc would be much lower. I'll report back once I see the updated results. Still not sure where all the moly came from.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by i6pwr
I spoke with Blackstone today and they looked over all the samples and said they would get back to me soon. They said the samples could have been mislabeled and the LS-30 could be the Mobil 1 home brew. Calcium numbers would be about double but the zinc would be much lower. I'll report back once I see the updated results. Still not sure where all the moly came from.

See post #11. LS30 is supposed to have a good bit of moly. It was added in a few years ago. Blackstone's ICP is just off by about 25%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back