Jetta oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me, Father BITOG, for I have sinned. I am confessing that I did not use VW approved oil. My niece's roommate needed her oil changed. Since she is a poor college girl, I got her a Microgard oil filter and five quarts of Mobil Super Synthetic 5w-30. Last oil change was at Jicky Lube. I don't know if it had PU, PP or even PYB. The car gets the oil changed about twice a year(about 5-6k). It isn't driven hard. I think MS Syn should do fine, or am I going to you-know-where?

I believe you should be fine. Also there is no guarantee that Pennzoil products are used at a Jiffy Lube. Around here Jiffy Lube charges extra if you want Pennzoil.

What engine? I'd reluctant to use a non approved product in their TDI's and their turbo rides...

Originally Posted By: tightwad
not a turbo. I believe it's an SE 2.5 ltr.

I see. Yeah, it should be just fine.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I believe you should be fine. Also there is no guarantee that Pennzoil products are used at a Jiffy Lube. Around here Jiffy Lube charges extra if you want Pennzoil.

Didn't know that. I've never used them. Shoot, I've never used anybody but myself. Around here they all have a monster Pennzoil sign on the building.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
five quarts of Mobil Super Synthetic 5w-30.

If it's the 2.5l 5-cylinder engine, then it takes 6.3 quarts of oil.

How much was the Mobil Super? VW approved 502.00 M1 0w-40 is usually not much more at Walmart at $25/5qt jug.

With that said, the 2.5 is not a very demanding engine, so you'll probably be fine.

Is the car under warranty?

Yeah, we bought a 5.1 jug and 2 quarts and had one left over, so 6+ went in the car. It was under $4.00/qt on sale. And I wasn't about to risk my life in Walmart on a Saturday morning. Between the spaced-out druggies racing shopping carts and little old ladies on scooters, I feel like I have a target painted on my rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back