Jet A in diesel gensets. What lube to add

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I am using Jet A in my various diesel gensets. I have been adding filtered used motor oil.

Cummins says Jet A is OK with 5% lube oil added, what kind/viscosity of lube oil I do not know. Stanadyne sells a Lubricity additive they claim works for Jet A.

One problem is the lack of viscosity with Jet A. The oil helps this. Some add ATF, MMO or 2 stroke oil.

What do you guys think?

Is there a proper way to increase lubricity and viscosity of Jet A?

I was thinking about adding a lubricity additive and some thick mineral oil like the aviaiton 60 viscosity.

Chris

I purchased some 30W mineral oil a WalMart. It has no additives what so ever! Maybe this will be a good mix to bring the viscosity up a little.

Chris

Yes, quite a few people use 2 stroke oil to additize (is that a word?) Jet A in diesel applications.

However, 2 stroke oil can be expensive. Especially when adding to a 500 gallon tank at 20 to 1 (Cummins).

I am having a hard time finding some hard data on what is the correct thing to do.

Chris

We used JP-8 in all kinds of diesel engins and that stuff has less oiliness then Jet-A.
JP-8 will evaporate away cleanly, jet-A will all most do the same and we never added any oil the the JP-8.
All the years and all the enigines JP-8 never bothered them.

While there is some information about JP-8 (similar to Jet A) on the web, most of it is testing done by the army. There is a Mil spec additive that helps JP-8 come close to D2.

I sure would like to get in touch with the person doing the testing. Someone knows something.

I believe Jet A can be made to function well in a diesel. I think it is just a matter of the right additives.

If a 2 stroke engine can live a long life lubricated at 50 to 1, why can't a diesel pump and injector set with the very same lube?

Ok, after some testing with waste motor oil and Jet A in my filter setup. (Alfa Laval "Emmie" centrifugal filter) I have come to the conclusion that used motor oil stratifies in Jet A. This is not good for long term lubrication as the oil settles to the bottom and would get used up first.

Chris

At just about every Over seas Air Force base over seas I have been to/herd of the AGE (flight line support) guys pump the all the diesel stuff full of JP-8.
Those engines would be cummins 5.9L and 5.3L, kobota, detroits I-4's V-6's 53serries, yahama's, HATZ, lister-petter and more.
But over here in the states, trans is useing B20-diesel in every thing.
AGE is useing straight diesel as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back