Jeep Wrangler a Goner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A think piece at Edmunds says it may not survive.

Edmunds Inside Line

Quote:
His documents said a liquidation analysis of Chrysler "assumes that certain car lines and the plant assets supporting them will be sold as going-concern enterprises. These lines include Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Viper and Dodge Ram and Dakota truck lines."

But he delves deeply into the case of Jeep Wrangler, raising doubts about its ability to attract a buyer or survive as a stand-alone entity.

Odd. The Wrangler is a hot item. That may be passing out of vogue due to more sensible fuel economy requirements and the fact that they're pretty useless at anything other than personal transportation (with banging extended capabilities).

You could make a go of it with just a fixed production capacity that was always below demand. Don't jack your price and let the sales end of things float to whatever the market will yield. The thing is, without a dealer/parts network, you'll be something like a mid-late 70's BMW dealer type thing. You need the engineering and R&D to handle the future emissions and other regulatory red tape at bringing a car to market.

I don't get how Ram and Dakota can't be part of Chrysler, but they think someone will buy them and run them as an independent dealer network. Dodge and Ram/Dakota dealers? Doesn't make sense.

John

It still saddens me every time I happen to think of my 93 Grand Cherokee, more or less a wrangler driveline and suspension, when I hop in to drive the 08 grand cherokee, with a torque-light V6, dipstick-less AT, minivan-tuned IFS and more electronics than the lunar lander. Not knocking my current ride, but they "ain't what they used to be."

If they can the wrangler, I'm gonna go buy one just to stick in the garage. Just say it isn't so. :-(

M

Originally Posted By: exranger06
That would be a waste of the R&D dollars Ford spent on their in-house diesel.

The R&D would be a good tax right off. I think it would be hard to beat a Cummins engine in a Ford. If "they" had that combination they would own the diesel pickup market.

The Jeep name is an American Icon. Being a Ford lover and a Jeep owner for me Ford buying Jeep Wrangler would be awesome, and probably bring the quality up a bit. The Jeep name itself is probably the most valuable asset Chrysler has to sell off.

As far as Ford and Cummins a match made in heaven. It will only make the best better. JMO

A 4.6 Ford Driven Wrangler is my Dream. My )* JK is slightly underpowered but in it's element, offroad I just don't think there is a more fun or capable street legal vehicle.

Someone will buy it if Chrusler doesn't hang on to it. It is a lucrative and unnique market, like a harley Davidson

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
A 4.6 Ford Driven Wrangler is my Dream.

My dream involves an XJ and an LS1. Interesting how in the dream there is no body-warping torque action...

Originally Posted By: exranger06
That would be a waste of the R&D dollars Ford spent on their in-house diesel.

According to the lawsuits filed against International and Ford, the R&D $$ for the Power Stroke were a waste of money.

The Wrangler needs a serious 4 cylinder turbo diesel coupled to some serious gear to transmit the power to the ground. It needs to be a 25+mph chassis. 3/4 ton pickups with SBC's can beat the things for economy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The Wrangler needs a serious 4 cylinder turbo diesel coupled to some serious gear to transmit the power to the ground. It needs to be a 25+mph chassis. 3/4 ton pickups with SBC's can beat the things for economy.

Or maybe some kind of inline-6 engine, perhaps 4 liters...of course the R&D on such a project just wouldn't be feasible...
smirk2.gif

Considering Ford was one of the original companies that competed on the 'original' Jeep project for WWII, it would be fitting that they end up with the Jeep name in the end. I'd love to see that - it would be an amazing marketing coup for Ford to say the Jeep 'came home' to a company with WWII building history....

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Or maybe some kind of inline-6 engine, perhaps 4 liters...of course the R&D on such a project just wouldn't be feasible...
smirk2.gif

The 4.0 (I have one currently and owned an AMC 4.2) was having emissions issues and was limited to one line up. It is one of the most reliable engines every made. It's also not very efficient. No crossflow head. Low power density ..and a gas hog in a Wrangler chassis.

The only vehicles I currently have in the immediate fleet are both Wranglers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back