Jeep to Chevy rim conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if theres a way to convert a Jeep to Chevy rim. I have a 96 Jeep cherokee and i would like to be able to use chevy rims, they are easier to find in my area.

Thanks ahead of time

A couple of things to consider. Some vehicles are interchangable with little or no problem. For example, years ago, Dodge/Plymouth and Ford could be swapped back and forth. Likewise the older Jeeps and Fords with the 5 1/2 on five pattern could be swapped. Also the Toyota six lug wheels and the old Chevy 6 lug were interchangable. I'm not sure anymore but for years, Chevy had the "5 on 5" pattern (five lugs at five inches). So yes, depending on what wheel lug pattern is on your Jeep and what Chevy wheel you want, it is possible they could be interchangable. However, even if you find a lug patter that is the same, you have to be concerned for the off set of the wheel. I have had it happen before that a while would fit the lug pattern and size, only to have too deep an off set so the wheel with the tire would not fit in the wheel well or it would "clunk" on the disc brakes up front.

If you find a set of wheels that you really like and are cheap enough, you can use a set of adapters. The problem, as mentioned before, is they make your wheel stick out about an inch more on either side. Also, they do have the possibility of weaking your wheels which is something you don't want to do if you haul heavy loads, hot rod down the road or go four wheeling. If you do go the adapter route, don't go cheap. There are good, well made adapters out there, but they're gonna cost you some money. Take that into account when buying the wheels as you'll have to add the cost of adapters to the total cost of the job.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Ford rims from explorers and Rangers bolt on to Cherokees.

Bore out the center, first.I bought a set of 16'' wheels from a crown vic. The center bore was too small. I ran the lugnuts on anyway.

It took 3 of us with sledge hammers to get the wheel off.

Last edited:
What Chevy?

5x4.75?
5x5?
6x5.5?

You're probably looking at buying wheel adapters which will add approx. 2.5-3" to your track width. Not worth it and silly, IMO. You could buy brand new steel wheels from Summit Racing for the cost of wheel adapters to run used wheels.

I find it hard to believe that you can't find Jeep wheels in your area. There are literally millions of XJ/ZJ/YJ/TJ rims to choose from.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Ford rims from explorers and Rangers bolt on to Cherokees.

Bore out the center, first.I bought a set of 16'' wheels from a crown vic. The center bore was too small. I ran the lugnuts on anyway.

It took 3 of us with sledge hammers to get the wheel off.

Exploder and Ranger wheels typically do not need any modification to run on a 5x4.5" Jeep pattern hub.

The Ford rims are snug over the hubs. A little shave never hurt. Otherwise have fun with the breaker bar!

And just to add more info:

I've been in several internet discussions concerning adaptors - and the concensus is that adaptors are problematic and should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back