Jeep Renegade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed these start to trickle in locally at our Jeep dealer. I have seen one on the road.

Oddly Jeep has never been my thing but there is something about this vehicle that is extremely appealing.

I think it may actually do well as there is nothing quite like this out.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
but there is something about this vehicle that is extremely appealing.

[censored] autocorrect. I'm fairly sure you meant "appalling."
smile.gif

^

Also, nothing quite like it...? Really? All those 20 other options for crossovers are 100% completely different? How so?

This thing is far less off road capable than you think.

I noticed these start to trickle in locally at our Jeep dealer. I have seen one on the road.

Oddly Jeep has never been my thing but there is something about this vehicle that is extremely appealing.

Once you get "Jeep fever" you never get over it. Even as you curse your Jeep and all the things that go wrong with it.

Quote:

Once you get "Jeep fever" you never get over it. Even as you curse your Jeep and all the things that go wrong with it.

I had a stripper 1977 CJ7 (I6 w/3 sp manual) and loved that thing. I got over it when the entire clutch disengagement mechanism fell onto the street in front of my house while I was pulling into the driveway.

I do like the looks of that new Renegade, at it appears it can be had for < 20K.

I'm never selling my 1999 TJ; my wife likes the looks of the Renegade Trailhawk, so who knows? Might have two Jeep in the garage eventually...

It's a weird looking vehicle. The dealer I spoke with said they all have needed a reflash because everything is in Italian and that was slowing the prep and sale of the cars.

I am trying to dissuade my son from taking a plunge on this. Underneath the skin, it is all Fiat! He wants manual transmission vehicle with under 6 seconds 0-60 so that it will be keeping up with his rusty 2000 Maxima 200+K 5-speed. I did not have heart to tell him that the Renegade would do about 8.6 in the Sport trim.

I have rented a Fiat Panda(AWD) skiing in Italy and really liked it/oddly! My guess is this thing is related and looks better.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am trying to dissuade my son from taking a plunge on this. Underneath the skin, it is all Fiat! He wants manual transmission vehicle with under 6 seconds 0-60 so that it will be keeping up with his rusty 2000 Maxima 200+K 5-speed. I did not have heart to tell him that the Renegade would do about 8.6 in the Sport trim.

You can also tell him that speed isn't everything and if you're using that power on the street you're probably breaking laws an endangering lives of other to show off to the driver next to you who couldn't care less.

Speaking of which, how do Americans think people in Europe with 1.4L diesel engines with 100hp being common? I'm sure they all "get into accidents because they can't accelerate away from danger" (every 16 year old ever).

ANYWAY TO MAKE THIS POST RELEVANT, Renegade is an ugly piece and it probably has awful reliability too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

I have Jeep Fever.

The Renegade ain't a Jeep. It's a fiatsler that will likely be extremely unreliable.

I'd buy an XV Crosstrek if I needed a 4WD/ AWD crossover.

It is also most likely going to be a "chick car" or have they made it too ungly for it to be a "chick car"?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
It is also most likely going to be a "chick car" or have they made it too ungly for it to be a "chick car"?

Not sure if really a chick car but the buyer in this likely has absolutely no interest in the rest of the Jeep line up. It is massively better then the Patriot, Compass and their past follies in this market. They are filling the gap of an affordable vehicle with Renegade.

I don't think Cherokee stands out enough compared to the rest of its class so it languishes. It does not really compete well with CRV, Escape, Forester, and RAV4 except of capable off road which 98% could care less about.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
At the NYIAS, the lady at the Chrysler booth was saying how the Renegade was styled after the 1941 Wrangler ...

Um...what? Aside from the "Wrangler" name not coming into use until 1987, I fail to see the family link here... A 1941 "Jeep" would have been built by American Bantam, by Ford, or by Willys-Overland.

Jeep_Renegade_1.6_MultiJet_2WD_Longitude_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht,_9._November_2014,_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

03_Jeep-Grille-1941-Willys-MA.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Miller88
At the NYIAS, the lady at the Chrysler booth was saying how the Renegade was styled after the 1941 Wrangler ...

Um...what? Aside from the "Wrangler" name not coming into use until 1987, I fail to see the family link here... A 1941 "Jeep" would have been built by American Bantam, by Ford, or by Willys-Overland.

Jeep_Renegade_1.6_MultiJet_2WD_Longitude_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht,_9._November_2014,_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

03_Jeep-Grille-1941-Willys-MA.jpg

Yeah - we were laughing at the fact that they were about 46 years early for the "Wrangler" name.

FCA is really milking the Jeep reputation for all it is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back