Jeep lifetime warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be still in tact even with the Chrysler merger with Fiat, as they would have to take on all the debts/assets/liabilities with the merger.

The company didn't go bankrupt and then Fiat buy the remains, Fiat bought into the company in its current conditions so according to Corporation law (at least in Canada) they must assume all the debts/assets/liabilities of that corporation at the time of sale.

Also the US Government said they would stand behind existing warranties so even if they were to go belly up you should still be covered.

Well boys, it may be time for me to get a vehicle of my dream; a Wrangler.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

They are fun M1. I bought a nearly new 1997 TJ in 1998 and owned it for a few years.

Joel

Is it still intact and has anyone had bad experience from the dealership about it?

Could someone post all the fine strings attached to this warranty and exactly what has to be followed to keep it valid?

The Wrangler is basically a motorcycle with four wheels.It's not an SUV nor a cross-over.It is in a class of it's own.No other vehicle can take it's doors and roof off.I've owned one since 2001 and put 220,000km on it and it still puts a smile on my face when I drive to work.It's not for every-one,yet lately it seems just about every fifth vehicle gets a "Jeep wave", due to the fact getting the top on and off is not a push button affair and a little "mechanical saavy" is needed with this type of vehicle.But it is like owning a Harley or drinking Coke..there is only one kind of the latter and many try and imitate them...iconic comes to mind
02.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It would be still in tact even with the Chrysler merger with Fiat, as they would have to take on all the debts/assets/liabilities with the merger.

The company didn't go bankrupt and then Fiat buy the remains, Fiat bought into the company in its current conditions so according to Corporation law (at least in Canada) they must assume all the debts/assets/liabilities of that corporation at the time of sale.

Also the US Government said they would stand behind existing warranties so even if they were to go belly up you should still be covered.

Chrysler DID go bankrupt and the assets were sold to Fiat. All previous vehicle product liability was discharged in the bankruptcy so I would really read the fine print. FWIW, US bankruptcy law was kicked to the curb on both the Chrysler and GM Chapter 11 filings. I had a 100,000 mile guarantee letter from the "Old GM" that was voided in the Chapter 11 filing which is one more reason I am done with GM.

Good luck with the "Obama Warranty"

Last edited:
Reread the letter.

Per GM's website, the 5/100 is still good, and being honored.

I believe Chrysler's lifetime powertrain warranty requires a free inspection at the dealer every 50K. Other details I am not sure of.

Originally Posted By: Greaser
The Wrangler is basically a motorcycle with four wheels.It's not an SUV nor a cross-over.It is in a class of it's own.No other vehicle can take it's doors and roof off.I've owned one since 2001 and put 220,000km on it and it still puts a smile on my face when I drive to work.It's not for every-one,yet lately it seems just about every fifth vehicle gets a "Jeep wave", due to the fact getting the top on and off is not a push button affair and a little "mechanical saavy" is needed with this type of vehicle.But it is like owning a Harley or drinking Coke..there is only one kind of the latter and many try and imitate them...iconic comes to mind
02.gif

Greaser just about nails it. The cheapest thing to do is buy a used Wrangler. The thing probably rarely, if ever, saw off road, the previous owner probably got tired of the relatively cumbersome ritual required to put down the top ..or tired of having very little convenient cargo space that they had ..heck, even in a Corolla.

They're just too PITA for the average stroke. You have to really love that open cab feeling to stick with it.

Buy earplugs if you travel on highways at typical highway speeds.

..and you'll gain a new habit. You'll watch The Weather Channel religiously.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
..or tired of having very little convenient cargo space that they had ..heck, even in a Corolla.

Of course, you can't drive a Corolla over a Jeep...

A friend of mine recently bought a new Wrangler, he loves it. It's a soft-top 2-door. I've been in it at 75 mph and it's really not that noisy, either. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to put the top down, it's not a big deal.

Originally Posted By: PT1

Chrysler DID go bankrupt and the assets were sold to Fiat. All previous vehicle product liability was discharged in the bankruptcy so I would really read the fine print. FWIW, US bankruptcy law was kicked to the curb on both the Chrysler and GM Chapter 11 filings. I had a 100,000 mile guarantee letter from the "Old GM" that was voided in the Chapter 11 filing which is one more reason I am done with GM.

Good luck with the "Obama Warranty"

Can't speak to GM's warranty other than to say they have publicly come out and stated they are honoring all warranty's.

In regards to ChryslerFiat( may be the same with GM? )what was discharged was people's ability to file product liability law suits. No liability in regards to warranty repair was discharged. ChryslerFiat is still on the hook for warranty repairs.

Examples...

1 - your lower seat belt section( female )that is bolted to the floor breaks free( bolt shears ). Comes apart as you are clicking in the male section. If your vehicle is still within the warranty time frame it will be repaired under warranty.

2 - same scenario as above in regards to the part failure except you are in an accident when the bolt shears and you are injured as you are slammed into the dash. ChryslerFiat can not be sued. THIS is what liability the bankruptcy court released them from. Not general warranty repairs.

This came up in another thread and I posted a link about this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse

Could someone post all the fine strings attached to this warranty and exactly what has to be followed to keep it valid?

Here is what is currently listed on the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep sites. Still says DaimlerChrysler LLC. Guess Cerberus never got around to changing it. This is the same warranty info for the LTPTW I received with my 08 Dodge ram.

LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY
2006 Model Year Vehicles and 2007 Model Year Vehicles and 2008 Model Year Vehicles Sold and Delivered On or After July 26, 2007

Supplement to the 2006 and the 2007 and the 2008 Model Year Warranty Information Books

At the expiration of the 3 year/36,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty, DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC extends to the original purchaser or retail lessee of each 2006 model year, 2007 model year and 2008 model year Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle sold and delivered on or after July 26, 2007 limited powertrain warranty for the lifetime of that original purchaser or retail lessee.

LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY

A. Who is Covered?

You are covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are the first registered owner or lessee for use of the vehicle. Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by
operation of law are also not covered.

B. What’s Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E below that is defective in workmanship and materials. There is no coverage for towing in the event of disablement.

C. When It Begins
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty begins at the end of the Basic Limited Warranty.

D. Excluded Vehicles

SRT vehicles, Sprinter vehicles, diesel equipped vehicles, all Ram Cab/Chassis vehicles, rental vehicles and government vehicles are not covered. Vehicles used as a police vehicle, taxi, limousine, postal delivery vehicle, or ambulance are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty.

E. Parts Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and components of your vehicle’s powertrain supplied by DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Transmission: transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

Front Wheel Drive: transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle speed sensors; transaxle solenoid assembly; PRNDL position switch; transaxle electronic controller; torque converter; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

All Wheel Drive (AWD): power transfer unit and all internal parts; viscous coupler; axle housing and all internal parts; constant velocity joints and boots; driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies; differential carrier assembly and all internal parts; output ball bearing; output flange; end cover; overrunning clutch; vacuum motor; torque tube; pinion spacer and shim, seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Rear Wheel Drive: rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Four-Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.

F. When Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty Does Not Apply
You are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are a second or subsequent owner of the vehicle.

G. Inspections
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection
must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.

H. Other Provisions of This Powertrain Limited Warranty
All other terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty including the Section 1 (Your Rights Under These Limited Warranties) and Section 3 (What’s Not Covered) apply to this Powertrain Limited Warranty. This document supplements the warranties and conditions described in the vehicle’s Warranty Information book.

No other coverages are altered or extended based on this supplement.

81-016-8057 Gas Vehicles

http://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/X_lifetime_warranty.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greaser
02.gif

Greaser just about nails it. The cheapest thing to do is buy a used Wrangler. The thing probably rarely, if ever, saw off road, the previous owner probably got tired of the relatively cumbersome ritual required to put down the top ..or tired of having very little convenient cargo space that they had ..heck, even in a Corolla.

They're just too PITA for the average stroke. You have to really love that open cab feeling to stick with it.

Buy earplugs if you travel on highways at typical highway speeds.

..and you'll gain a new habit. You'll watch The Weather Channel religiously.
If you enjoy a windy boat ride or a gusty motorcycle trip then you have the stuff of Wrangler owners.My wife and I both enjoyed my motorcycle days but an injury to my knee kyboshed my biking days.The open Jeep at 70 mph is pretty darn close to the bike.But don't go by us we are both over 50,still go to roller-coaster parks,and now she wants a new rag top Mustang to go with the TJ
banana2.gif
19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
..or tired of having very little convenient cargo space that they had ..heck, even in a Corolla.

A friend of mine recently bought a new Wrangler, he loves it. It's a soft-top 2-door. I've been in it at 75 mph and it's really not that noisy, either. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to put the top down, it's not a big deal.
I don't think it's a big deal to take the top down either but my sister in law couldn't stand it.Take off the windows and put them somewhere,fold down the top by hand...too much for her.She just wanted to push a button and everything went down.But then she also loathed washing her vehicles or doing oil changes so there you go
smirk2.gif

..They're just too PITA for the average stroke. You have to really love that open cab feeling to stick with it.

Very true. They're horrible for long hywy travel/commutes. Rain, bugs, snow just kind of plasters onto that flat windshield and sticks there regardless of the wipers. 65mph is a two handed, white knuckle affair and 4x4 traction is good, but being so stubby they can frighteningly get away from you in the blink of an eye. A little around town cruiser or spare vehicle, they are perfect.

Joel

Well, I went to 4 dealerships today and they told me that only vehicles getting less than 18 mpg are qualified for Uncle Sam's stimulus check. That is not what I read on CNN, MSN, Yahoo, and ABC. I also don't recall reading that clause on cars.gov but do recall that a vehicle with less than 18 mpg when sold new gets the most money whereas everything else get about $3500-$4000. I guess they don't really want me to stimulate the economy. I didn't test drive anything because I respect people's cars too much to put miles on it unless I have full intention of buying something during my search. I did check out Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 4 door and am very impressed. It is also priced the same as a loaded Accord. Of course, F150s don't qualified under the stimulus plan. I am not sure if it is the dealers pulling the last sorry trick out of their dirty hat or what but it seems like they always seem to overpriced everything and expect harsh haggling from the customers.

Also, Costco pricing policy doesn't always get the best deal as it is always above invoice to allow for "reasonable" profit. I bought my Accord out of college for $1000 less than Costco pricing and that was my first car purchase ever. I went with Edmunds's invoice and offered $2000 below and let them negotiate up to the price I can live with. I came out getting it for $1000 under invoice and a free extended warranty to 7 years and 70k miles, which I never used since it is a Honda.

Last edited:
The warranty was/is a sales tool from the get go. We've discussed this before. 4.5 years the vehicle has to go to the dealer for a "free "inspection" to validate the LT warranty. When you get the punch list of services that the dealer needs to perform or the warranty is void, plan on spending at lot of cash at the dealership. I had a buddy who worked for Chrysler Jeep and he explained to me the thinking that went into the warranty. It was for selling cars, and then boosting sales in the shop 4 1/2 years later when Free Inspection time comes.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
The warranty was/is a sales tool from the get go. We've discussed this before. 4.5 years the vehicle has to go to the dealer for a "free "inspection" to validate the LT warranty. When you get the punch list of services that the dealer needs to perform or the warranty is void, plan on spending at lot of cash at the dealership. I had a buddy who worked for Chrysler Jeep and he explained to me the thinking that went into the warranty. It was for selling cars, and then boosting sales in the shop 4 1/2 years later when Free Inspection time comes.

AD

If the car is well maintained, this check list can be tossed out by having a indy shop looking over the vehicle. Also, the LT only covers 3 major components so if the list asks for repairs of other things then a nice warning letter from a lawyer hinting class action lawsuit will put them in their place. It is better than nothing and is great for people keeping a car forever or more than 15 years.

I had a Honda dealership telling me I need $4k of work because my Accord was in such bad shape. The only things in bad shape was the little crack on the front bumper and 4 months of not washing it. The fking dealership want to replace everything under the sun and I told them to just do the wash as part of their 27-point inspection and replace the floater in the brake master cylinder. The cost was down to $65 and I had Peps Boy replaced the brake fluid for $60 and the car was good as new again. Most dealership think just because I am Asian that I am a loaded restaurant owner or some whiz engineering making mad money but has little patient or time to fool around with cars. They are dead wrong and I usually end up pushing them by taking 4-5 of their brand new cars out of a long test drive. Both time I was at the dealership was to have the inspection to honor the extended warranty. Both time I told them to f-off and the parts are fine and if they think otherwise I like to see it in writting so I can file false inspection if the parts would still be fine many months/years/miles down the road when they say that failure is imminent. They all change their tune from mandatory replacement to preventive precaution.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

Oh, I could care less about all those things. I own two of them. That's just what most people tire of. They "imagine" lots of stuff. They're also disappointed with the fuel economy ..which can have a hard time matching full size pickups weighing a ton more.

Those who have the full doors with roll up windows will find them much quieter than those with half doors with fabric/plastic windows. That's what I have. I even have the heavier sail cloth top and you're okay to about 60. There is no sound deadening material anywhere in the thing aside from the carpet (if so appointed). My wife has the dual top Sahara. Nice to have ..but you're going to have a good footprint wherever it is stored. Even if you hoist it to the ceiling in the garage. Easy enough to change out.

Very easy to maintain for the most part. Well equipped from the factory with the snorkels and skid plates.

Again, I love my jeeps. They'll probably be the last newly bought vehicles we will ever own. For many people they're very much like Greaser said, a 4 wheel motorcycle. They enjoy the wind in their hair and that open air feeling ..all the robust images of climbing hills in remote areas ..etc.. and then one day they just can't bring themselves to "suit up" (top down perhaps door storage, etc..etc) for the event and the value of the thing slowly fades into nothing.

I'd say that most people who I know that own one adopt a new appreciation for not having the need for speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back