Jeep lifetime warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
The warranty was/is a sales tool from the get go. We've discussed this before. 4.5 years the vehicle has to go to the dealer for a "free "inspection" to validate the LT warranty. When you get the punch list of services that the dealer needs to perform or the warranty is void, plan on spending at lot of cash at the dealership. I had a buddy who worked for Chrysler Jeep and he explained to me the thinking that went into the warranty. It was for selling cars, and then boosting sales in the shop 4 1/2 years later when Free Inspection time comes.

AD

I'll pretty that up a bit. Most heavy services are scheduled at the 5 year mark. Coolant, tune up, trans service ..all typically set out high enough to be removed from the first round of ownership. It's basically been a trade in/sales aid. Now in a turn around, it's a retention requirement that may turn back into a trade in/sales aid.

It's not the taking the top down on Jeeps that gets you.

It's the putting it back up.

I've found we like just taking the doors off the hardtop just as well.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
The warranty was/is a sales tool from the get go. We've discussed this before. 4.5 years the vehicle has to go to the dealer for a "free "inspection" to validate the LT warranty. When you get the punch list of services that the dealer needs to perform or the warranty is void, plan on spending at lot of cash at the dealership. I had a buddy who worked for Chrysler Jeep and he explained to me the thinking that went into the warranty. It was for selling cars, and then boosting sales in the shop 4 1/2 years later when Free Inspection time comes.

Actually any thing that is worn is replaced on Chyslers dime. I have two friends who are Chrysler Techs explain that basically you bring it in and they check it over, anything worn gets replaced. You basiaclly have to change the oil and filters and that is about it other than brakes and or clutch. all the other stuff is covered. Also you can follow schedule A, ie the 100K fluid intervals ie 100K miles for trans/diffs/t-case versus Scheculde B the heavy use schedule of 15 or 30 k.

They are gambling most will trade in the car and buy something newer, hnence they wont be on the hook.

The only catch is you have to bring it in within 30 days of the 5 year in service anniversary.

My only concern would be if they are still in business, but if you maintain your cars and keep them long term, the days of replacing water pumps, belts, altenators, starters are over since when they do fail Chrysler gets to be your pit crew.

AD

That remains to be seen. My bet is very few people are going to really collect on that warranty. There aren't any cars that are even old enough for the 5 year inspection yet. It will be a great topic in the future, just wait for the dealers list of items that need service in order to maintain the warranty. We'll soon see.

My info came from a manager very familiar with the program. The hope is the, shop will pick up the requested maint' items, the car is traded in, or another Chrysler product will be bought because the vehicle was brought in. There is no free lunch in the auto world!

Does anyone think 15 years from now Chrysler/Jeep is going to toss in a free no strings attached transmission in one of their 4x4's? If so I have a bridge for sale.

AD

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Well, I went to 4 dealerships today and they told me that only vehicles getting less than 18 mpg are qualified for Uncle Sam's stimulus check. That is not what I read on CNN, MSN, Yahoo, and ABC. I also don't recall reading that clause on cars.gov but do recall that a vehicle with less than 18 mpg when sold new gets the most money whereas everything else get about $3500-$4000. I guess they don't really want me to stimulate the economy. I didn't test drive anything because I respect people's cars too much to put miles on it unless I have full intention of buying something during my search. I did check out Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 4 door and am very impressed. It is also priced the same as a loaded Accord. Of course, F150s don't qualified under the stimulus plan. I am not sure if it is the dealers pulling the last sorry trick out of their dirty hat or what but it seems like they always seem to overpriced everything and expect harsh haggling from the customers.

Also, Costco pricing policy doesn't always get the best deal as it is always above invoice to allow for "reasonable" profit. I bought my Accord out of college for $1000 less than Costco pricing and that was my first car purchase ever. I went with Edmunds's invoice and offered $2000 below and let them negotiate up to the price I can live with. I came out getting it for $1000 under invoice and a free extended warranty to 7 years and 70k miles, which I never used since it is a Honda.

The 18mpg is all over the place.

I find it funny that all the dealers are putting comercials on tv about CFC $4500 off, when most cars don't get that poor of mpg. My old '85 S-10 didn't even qualify as it get a combined mpg of over 18mpg.

To me swapping out the full soft top for a summer bikini top is fun and a good way to inspect the tops. This requires completely removing the tops and storing them however. I have carpet, I take it out and hose it off when it gets dirty and let the sun dry it. WHile it is out I hose the tub out and to an extent I hose the seats aoff and wipe the trail dust off the dash and other areas I don't want to hose off. I do this a couple of times a year.

Great aftermarket support and never replace broken parts in kind, It is always time for an upgrade.

I am lucky to live in a region where the Jeep's purpose can be realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back