Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Liberty Tow Capacity

A 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 3.7 engine has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. A 2008 Grand Cherokee with the same 3.7 engine has a tow capacity of 3500 lbs despite have a longer wheelbase than the Liberty. What are the differences between these two vehicles which account the differences in tow ratings?

Interesting that it’s less for a GC. I had a company Liberty years ago and wouldn’t want to tow 5,000 pounds with that thing. That’s probably the worst vehicle I’ve ever driven now that I think about it.

I'd assume it's the same transmission (not looking it up). Transmission could be close to tapped out.

Probably a total weight issue like ^^^said.

This is something that didn't make sense to me either as I have owned:
1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 liter straight six, rated at 5,000 lbs with tow package
2007 WK-1 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 liter Hemi V8, rated at 7,200 lbs with tow package

the later model WK-I platform has much better brakes and the suspension design makes for a more stable towing experience than on the old ZJ. The '08 Liberty is similar in size and weight to the old ZJ, however the brakes are better and suspension copes with bumps better. The suspension on the '08 Liberty is very similar to the one on the WK-1
I weighed the boat I towed with both a few years ago and the boat I THOUGHT weighed in at approx 3800 lbs on the trailer, actually weighed in at 5050 lbs, on the trailer.
No wonder the old ZJ struggled with it whereas the WK-I pulls it with no real effort.
Moral of the story is, weigh your towed load, and do not tow right at the tow limit, for anything other than occasional light duty short haul towing.

This is something that didn't make sense to me either as I have owned:
1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 liter straight six, rated at 5,000 lbs with tow package
2007 WK-1 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 liter Hemi V8, rated at 7,200 lbs with tow package

the later model WK-I platform has much better brakes and the suspension design makes for a more stable towing experience than on the old ZJ. The '08 Liberty is similar in size and weight to the old ZJ, however the brakes are better and suspension copes with bumps better. The suspension on the '08 Liberty is very similar to the one on the WK-1
I weighed the boat I towed with both a few years ago and the boat I THOUGHT weighed in at approx 3800 lbs on the trailer, actually weighed in at 5050 lbs, on the trailer.
No wonder the old ZJ struggled with it whereas the WK-I pulls it with no real effort.
Moral of the story is, weigh your towed load, and do not tow right at the tow limit, for anything other than occasional light duty short haul towing.
Even more strange is:
1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 4x4: 5,000lbs
1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 4x4: 6,500lbs

My guess is that the heavier Grand Cherokee 3.7L is at the max of the GVW that the transmission can handle.

That's the MB NAG1 trans, no way it is overweight. The V6 Grands then used the NAG1, the V8s used the Chryco 545RFE

Back