Jeep/Aisin AW4 tranny filter (and fluid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where to get a quality tranny filter for a 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L? I think it uses the Aisin AW4 automatic.
The jeep stealership wanted $80(?) for a filter.

I've heard Napa sells 2 different filters. One has brass mesh, the other uses SS mesh. It's been over a decade since I've changed a tranny filter and I remember them being plastic, more like a fuel pump filter/sock?

Anyhow, who makes a good tranny filter? And where can I get it? Around here (socal) we have Pepboys, Autozone, Kragen, Napa, Parts Plus, Advanced Auto, etc.

And what kind of ATF would you guys rec'd? I think the Jeep has +300k miles (speedo sensor goes out). I need to tow almost 3000# and there's some big hills involved. AFAIK, the owner's manual rec'ds DexronII/Mercon.

Valvoline (Maxlife?) D3/M?
Castrol D3/M?
50/50 with M1 ATF?

Mobil ATF 3309? For Aisin trannies.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx

I used Schaeffers 204-Supreme for a long while in our 2001 XJ.

Son's 2001 now running M1 ATF (in my search I found that Greaser has been happy with it).

Do a search, too. I have made several long posts about auxiliary coolers and auxiliary filters to avoid the trans-pan drop in our XJ.

Wix lists a filter for it. That should be good enough by the membership's standards.

Part Number: 58936
UPC Number: 765809589360
Principal Application: Jeep Transmission Filter Kit (87-01)
All Applications
Style: Automatic Transmission Filter Kit
Service: Transmission

I think you just knock off the "5" to get the NAPA number. It doesn't appear to be a mesh deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back