Jeep/Aisin AW4 tranny filter (and fluid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where to get a quality tranny filter for a 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L? I think it uses the Aisin AW4 automatic.
The jeep stealership wanted $80(?) for a filter.

I've heard Napa sells 2 different filters. One has brass mesh, the other uses SS mesh. It's been over a decade since I've changed a tranny filter and I remember them being plastic, more like a fuel pump filter/sock?

Anyhow, who makes a good tranny filter? And where can I get it? Around here (socal) we have Pepboys, Autozone, Kragen, Napa, Parts Plus, Advanced Auto, etc.

And what kind of ATF would you guys rec'd? I think the Jeep has +300k miles (speedo sensor goes out). I need to tow almost 3000# and there's some big hills involved. AFAIK, the owner's manual rec'ds DexronII/Mercon.

Valvoline (Maxlife?) D3/M?
Castrol D3/M?
50/50 with M1 ATF?

Mobil ATF 3309? For Aisin trannies.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx

I used Schaeffers 204-Supreme for a long while in our 2001 XJ.

Son's 2001 now running M1 ATF (in my search I found that Greaser has been happy with it).

Do a search, too. I have made several long posts about auxiliary coolers and auxiliary filters to avoid the trans-pan drop in our XJ.

Wix lists a filter for it. That should be good enough by the membership's standards.

Part Number: 58936
UPC Number: 765809589360
Principal Application: Jeep Transmission Filter Kit (87-01)
All Applications
Style: Automatic Transmission Filter Kit
Service: Transmission

I think you just knock off the "5" to get the NAPA number. It doesn't appear to be a mesh deal.

Thanks for moving this thread. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'd know RL D4 ATF or a Schaeffers product would probably protect best. But I'd like to use a off-the-shelf ATF since I need to tow a car and want to swap the fluid before then. I'm most worried about good shiftability and protecting the tranny.
My choices are Castrol Dexron III/Mercon, Castrol ATF+3, Valvoline ATF+4, or Mobil1 ATF. All are available at my local AZ or wallyworld.

Again it's a 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L with the Aisin (4WD) AW4 tranny. I think it uses Dexron II/Mercon. So unless someone says otherwise I'm gonna use Castol D3/M, maybe with a splash of M1 ATF.
Thanks.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
Says the Aisin AW4 uses Dexron II.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html
ATF+3/ATF+4 confusion...

I've been using Mobil 1 ATF in my 99 XJ since new (drain & fill every year almost 3 1/2 liters approx.)The Cherokee now has 192,000 km on it and shifts like new.Towing and medium off-roading every year while moose hunting since it's birth.I have never removed the pan to change the filter.My brother ,whom is a 35 year DC tech,says this isn't really necessary unless it's been neglected.Most of the ones he has done didn't need it, the filter is just a metal screen like all other Japanese built trannies.Regular drain & fills are all that is needed.The two piece dipstick tube is the biggest PITA to get apart and then you can just rinse out the old screen and put it back on if you go the removal route.

I wouldn't worry about the filter. A screen, whether SS or brass, isn't going to filter much. Any parts-store brand filter is good enough. Even better would be to splice in an aftermarket remote ATF filter for real filtering.

Since this is a high mileage transmission, flush with the cheapest ATF you can get(supertech dex3). No point on spending $100 on synthetic ATF on a tranny that old. If you want to splurge, use ANY high-mileage ATF.

For towing, make sure your ATF cooling is adequate. No filter or fluid will make up for an overheating transmission.

the maxlife from what i've heard, is a good quality multi fluid also and at az reasonably priced. i've used the castrol brand but it felt no different than the supertech brand. it sounds like its been well maintained. a trans cooler would not hurt you at all if your going to be towing and would make further flushing a breeze.
bulkpart.com also has a good supply of filters, inline magnefine filters and coolers also at decent prices. i like the hayden stacked plate design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back