Jeep 4.0, thinking of doing 1 year o/c's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

The jeep gets driven daily back and fourth to work. I drive roughly 7-8K miles a year.

Any of you running 1 year oil changes on the 4.0? I still cant feel totally comfortable with 1 year changes! 6 months is my happy zone.

Would this be a good candidate? It sees some offroad use, and a mix of city and highway. Just average Jeep wrangler use.

I'd be using either the 0w30 SSO or 10w30 Amsoil.

thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
One year changes on either oil would be fine. I just did a 1.5 year in my XJ and have done year changes on my trail Jeep. I actually just changed to QS Torquepower 5W30 in my trail Jeep for my trip to Maob, UT and was thinking about running it until after next year to see how a grpIII syn will hold up to the abuse.

AWESOME,

thanks guys......ooooooooooooh baby I'm getting excited now!

now heres another question.

My wifes Mazda 3 with the 2.3 litre is due in two weeks. Would the same treatment be safe in her car?

The only thing that worries me, is the oil filter is an upside down cartridge style. I dont know if Amsoil makes a filter for it. Not sure if that changes anything.

Last edited:
The 4.0L has a 6qt sump, so a 1 year OCI should be feasible as you have plenty of oil to cycle through the engine.

Ryan you could run cooking oil in that engine for 8K miles for 1 year and it would be fine... Those engines are easy on oil.

I would run Pennzoil Platinum with a quality filter 8K miles no problem on that engine. No need to use Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
AWESOME,

thanks guys......ooooooooooooh baby I'm getting excited now!

now heres another question.

My wifes Mazda 3 with the 2.3 litre is due in two weeks. Would the same treatment be safe in her car?

The only thing that worries me, is the oil filter is an upside down cartridge style. I dont know if Amsoil makes a filter for it. Not sure if that changes anything.

Amsoil doesn't make a filter for it. I would run Pennzoil Platinum in it for up to 8K miles no problem.

Great, thanks fellas.

Any thoughts on the same interval with the Mazda?

I can get a Wix filter, but changing it half way through would be a bit of a pain, still dooable though.

You can do the same OCI's on both cars assuming that they have some highway driving involved with each. 1 Year or 8K miles using a quality filter (Wix will stand up no problem this long)

I do annual OCI's on my 4.0 Jeep with Amsoil 10W40 and a Amsoil EAO 15 filter. I have been doing this for about 6 years and have been using the EAO filters since they came out a few years ago.

I do about the same driving and 1 year oci's in my 4.0L Jeep with Mobil 1 10w-30 high mileage, she likes it.... I ran amsoil series 3000 diesel before that and rotella 5w-40 before that I have been most pleased with The mobil hm , then the amsoil with rotella last.
I based this off oil consumption, quietness of engine ( as your are aware these can be noisy clickety clackety engines). and Mileage. I have had by far the best results with the hm so my .02 on 1 year oci with my 4.0L

I have an 03 Rubicon and have been running 5w-40 Mobil TDT for the past 3 years. I usually change the oil every 6000 miles but this last time I ran the oil to about 9000 miles and noticed visible varnish on my dipstick after running it for so long. So to make a long story short. I'm sticking to 6000 mile oil changes. Here is a list of oils I have used in the past for reference.

1. 03'-05' Mobil 1 10w-30 *Increased engine noise, maybe to thin.
2. 05'-06' AMSOil 10w-30 *Great oil over all,but expensive.
3. 06'-09' Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT *Great oil, low noise. Best yet.
4. Now Rotella T 5w-40 *Low noise, cheap. Jury still out.

I used to run 1 year oil changes which equated to 10-12,000 mile OCI's with FL1A filters and Mobil 1 0w40. Jeep was still running like a top at 140,000 when I bought a new car.

Personally, I'd use the 10W-30 Amsoil in the engine. SSO is a great oil, but I think the engine would like the slightly thicker 10-30 better. It still has great cold pour/crank values.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back