Jeep 2.0L Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

Did my first UOA with Platinum 5W30 at 20k miles on the vehicle and 4994 miles on the oil with a Mobil 1 filter. 90+% highway miles. This is this engines 5th oil change as I did the first two early. It’s a 2021 Jeep Wrangler 2.0L. The high fuel dilution has me concerned. Will and oil catch can take care of most of this problem?

Attachments

• 220219AC-194D-4EA2-93CB-72608C086A6E.jpeg
    220219AC-194D-4EA2-93CB-72608C086A6E.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
It's not too bad but the oil did go down to 7.7. I would consider ordering pp euro 0w-40 off wm.com. It's one of the few euro 40 oils that's api sp so lspi shouldn't be an issue.

I'd also change the mobil 1 filter out for a fram ultra as the efficiency is sad on the m1 and filtration is much better on the fram ultra. If I'm not mistaken it uses the common 10575 filter like other ram, gm, and ford engines.

And as for the catch can i think it can help a little bit but it's debated if it helps with fuel dilution. But it's never a bad idea to keep that stuff from getting into the intake anyway.

Last edited:
Did my first UOA with Platinum 5W30 at 4994 miles with a Mobil 1 filter. 90+% highway miles. This is this engines 5th oil change as I did the first two early. It’s a 2021 Jeep Wrangler 2.0L. The high fuel dilution has me concerned. Will and oil catch can take care of most of this problem?
No.

it's not too bad but the oil did go down to 7.7. I would consider ordering pp euro 0w-40 off wm.com. it's one of the few euro 40 oils that's api sp so lspi shouldn't be an issue.

i'd also change the mobil 1 filter out for a fram ultra as the efficiency is sad on the m1 and filtration is much better on the fram ultra. if I'm not mistaken it uses the common 10575 filter like other ram, gm, and ford engines.

And as for the catch can i think it can help a bit but it's debated but it's never a bad idea to keep that stuff from getting into the intake anyway.
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if a 0W40 would be a good option. I didn’t realize there was an SP rated Euro so I’ll keep that in mind. I should have added I did change it out for Amsoil SS 5W30 and a Puralator Boss filter. Plan on sampling that at 5k and seeing what it looks like. Might give the catch can a try after the next change also but I want to keep everything the same this round and see how the Amsoil compares.

On a brand new vehicle with just under 5000 miles and you have already changed the oil five times? I’m for early changes but that is a bit extreme.

I would not get an analysis done until you put maybe 20,000 on it. 5000 miles OCI is a good place to start. These early analysis reports will be full of break in metals.

On a brand new vehicle with just under 5000 miles and you have already changed the oil five times? I’m for early changes but that is a bit extreme.

I would not get an analysis done until you put maybe 20,000 on it. 5000 miles OCI is a good place to start. These early analysis reports will be full of break in metals.
i think he misspoke as i too thought that but it says 19,903 miles on the vehicle and 4994 on the oil in the repot. i think he meant to say he did his first uoa at a 5k interval after doing 4 previous changes.

Last edited:
i think he misspoke as i too thought that but it says 19,903 miles on the vehicle and 4994 on the oil in the repot. i think he meantto say he did his first uoa at a 5k interval after doing 4 previous changes.

Okay that makes sense. I can’t see that on the report. The top part is chopped off.

Okay that makes sense. I can’t see that on the report. The top part is chopped off.
yeah i only saw it by chance alone in the sample information. i was thinking "5 oil changes in 5k wth?"

Last edited:

4994 on the oil. 20k on the Jeep.

i think he misspoke as i too thought that but it says 19,903 miles on the vehicle and 4994 on the oil in the repot. i think he meant to say he did his first uoa at a 5k interval after doing 4 previous changes.
You would be correct. That's my bad, I'll make sure to clarify better on the next one.

An explanation to the OP about the purpose of a catch can would be nice. Unless there's been new evidence related to fuel dilution the purpose of an EGR circuit catch can is to lower oil fumes going into the intake and causing carbon deposits on the intake runners and valves on a DI engine. Fuel dilution is a product of some DI engines and isn't affected by a catch can. What percentage causes a problem is an open BITOG debate.

An explanation to the OP about the purpose of a catch can would be nice. Unless there's been new evidence related to fuel dilution the purpose of an EGR circuit catch can is to lower oil fumes going into the intake and causing carbon deposits on the intake runners and valves on a DI engine. Fuel dilution is a product of some DI engines and isn't affected by a catch can. What percentage causes a problem is an open BITOG debate.
Makes sense. May not help the fuel dilution at all but I think I'll still look into one just to try and keep the carbon away.

That engine specs ms-13340 which is only on PP 5w30 or mopar oil.

Its a turbo gdi. I change mine at 5k in the summer and 3500-4k in the winter. which equals 3 changes/yr

The oil looks worse at 4k than the hemi does at 8k miles and the hemi is known to make some dark oil.

I have considered multiple times using m1 0w40 etc.. but decided to just use the recommended oil and run short oci. Since I get the oil cheap its really just my extra labor.

AFAIK The OLM on these is calibrated the same for the 3.2/3.6 port injected pentastar and the T-GDI 2.0

The report doesnt look bad except for the viscosity. OTOH this isnt even a winter sample.. so fuel dilution will be significantly worse on this oil change.

Last edited:
That engine specs ms-13340 which is only on PP 5w30 or mopar oil.

Its a turbo gdi. I change mine at 5k in the summer and 3500-4k in the winter. which equals 3 changes/yr

The oil looks worse at 4k than the hemi does at 8k miles and the hemi is known to make some dark oil.

I have considered multiple times using m1 0w40 etc.. but decided to just use the recommended oil and run short oci. Since I get the oil cheap its really just my extra labor.

AFAIK The OLM on these is calibrated the same for the 3.2/3.6 port injected pentastar and the T-GDI 2.0

The report doesnt look bad except for the viscosity. OTOH this isnt even a winter sample.. so fuel dilution will be significantly worse on this oil change.
I’ve always used PP 5W-30 in my 19 Cherokee Limited with the 2L turbo but am seriously considering Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30. What do you think of it?

Back