Jeep 2.0 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my 2019 jeep cherokee in the other day to get the oil changed and tires rotated at the dealership,usually do all this myself thought what the [censored] its free on the jeep wave program save me some money this month should of know better.
To make a long story short they put the wrong oil in it they used pennzoil platinum euro L 5/30 I found out because I drove home and checked the oil and it was a 1/2 a quart low so I told them and they said stop by and they would make sure it was right ,I wen't in and they where busy so I told them to just give me a half a quart and I would put it in later and they gave me a half a quart of euro he said thats what they used i told the service manager and said that was the wrong oil and he looked it up and said you are wright it takes sn+ oil.
I guess the parts guy gave the service guys the wrong oil to put in it.They gave me the right oil and filter and I told them I would change it myself then offered me another free change for screwing up.
I guess it was a long story, I don't think this oil would hurt it its sn rated only drove it about 200 miles got it changed back to the pennzoil platinum 5/30 what do you guys think?
Kind of a stupid question They have a wierd dipstick there's a top and bottom hole in it I know the safe level is in between those marks but when you get the oil changed shouldn't it be at the top hole if you change the oil and put the recommended 5 quarts in its about half way in between the holes Iam used to the full and add dipsticks.

The SN+ oil is to prevent LSPI in TGDI engines.

The Euro oil may have high enough Zinc And Phosphorus and moderate Calcium to combat LSPI, but that's an unknown factor.

It's really a judgement call on your part. If you keep the Euro oil in the engine I'd probably use premium fuel for that OCI.

As far as lubricant the euro spec oil is probably superior at everything except preventing LSPI.

See VOA below, the calcium In Euro L is probably low enough won't have an issue...since it's a low saps oil

Euro L 5w30 VOA BITOG

Last edited:
Keep the Euro oil in there, it is a great lube and will serve you well.

Yes, the dealer should have been more diligent. BUT FCA has changed oil requirements and language on this particular engine since it was introduced in 2017. I'm not exaggerating, pull up the manuals for '17, '18 and '19MY and you'll see that they all state something slightly different as far as what's required. This is a failure from the top down.

Fairly certain your 2.0T requires SN+ to maintain the warranty (the 2.0T in the Wrangler does). I would change it, but that is me.

Leave the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L in there. The FCA 2.0 turbo was developed in Italy and that oil is perfectly fine for that engine.

My 2.0T dipstick reads funny. I cannot recall if it reads overfull or underfull. But it doesn't read how every other dipstick I've ever used reads. I change the oil myself and use the proper amount as required by FCA.
My wife has it at work or I would go out and check it.

As far as the oil they used, if it was mine, Id make them give me new oil and filter. But Id run that euro for a full OCI of 5K miles.
I use Castrol euro 0w-40 in my ecoboost f150.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 is great in that engine. Actually has better specs, stricter engine wear & deposit requirements on that one compared to ILSAC dexos1 oils.

Its a little thicker than the popular Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 but not too much (HTHS, the important hot viscosity measure).
Like others mentioned above, LSPI from an oil with about 1,600 ppm calcium is likely not an issue. And the current low sulphur gasoline supply in the U.S. means low to mid saps is fine, not much H2SO4 will form.
Be glad they didn't over-fill the oil sump. Most dealers over fill. Just top off once in while to keep it above the lower Add line & you're fine.
If you see bubbles on the dipstick after a check a few seconds after a highway run is done, it is over-filled, the crankshaft churning the oil. Not good. If ever curious, try that test.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Fairly certain your 2.0T requires SN+ to maintain the warranty (the 2.0T in the Wrangler does). I would change it, but that is me.

This....LSPI is what the "+" is for and you have a turbo engine my friend. I'd take it back to the dealer, make sure it's documented and have them change to the correct oil.

Then do it myself next time to be sure.

Thanks guys I didn't think it would hurt it only had it in there for about 200 miles wen't ahead and changed it today back to pennzoil platinum 5/30 with the mopar filter they gave me,still don't understand these new dipsticks put the five quarts in like it says it takes and it is about half way between the holes in it i guess that's the safe area.The last time they changed it they overfilled it above the top hole I drained some out until it was right below the top hole and it stayed right there until the change they messed up on.

That Pennzoil Platinum Euro is top of the line. No Worries!!!!!!!!!!! Have been running Pennzoil Euro 0W40 in the wifes Jetta & she beats the living bleep bleep out of it. Your Euro 5W30 is doing the same bud!!!
wink.gif

I wouldn't be complaining about a superior oil, and if the dealer filled it with euro...and they are not rushing to change it then obviously they are not concerned, and can't come at you with warranty b.s considering they are the one who filled it. Like someone stated above FCA is in part European and that motor was designed in conjunction with them. Take the better oil and be a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back